• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's One Thing You Wish You Had Known...[before you went to Hawaii]

dlca1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't Spend all your time running from one thing to see another. Relax slow
Down and enjoy the whole experience. This is the one place that I can totally
Disconnect from everything and really enjoy myself. :D

I think you want to pick an island that matches your tastes. I have friends who think Maui and Kauai are boring and prefer Oahu.

I on the other hand find Maui and Kauai amazingly relaxing and beautiful places to visit.

I have to third the suggestion not to try to squeeze too much in. Try to slow down, get zen-like, be present and just relax/enjoy. Like one of the other posters, it is one of the few places I can find myself actually slow down and relax.

Aloha!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
What is one thing that you wish you had known before you went to Hawaii? Please share your expertise with a newbie to the islands! :hi:

Might sound odd but, I didn't know they had a declaration form to be filled out prior to landing so, I wish I'd have known to bring a pen or pencil on the flight with me. Just like traveling to a foriegn country they want you to declare if you're bringing certain items in (fresh fruit and vegatables for instance), what islands you plan on visiting, how many times you've been to Hawaii, how long you'll be staying and where. I just wasn't expecting to need to fill out a form and the airlines certainly don't provide you with anything to write with. It'd be great if the Hawaiian tourism council would provide cheap pens with Hawaii stamped on them for guests about to land and spend thousands of dollars visiting their islands.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It took me a couple of trips to figure out that I was packing way too much clothing to Hawaii, especially with the convenience of laundry facilities in the timeshares we stay in.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I disagree about avoiding Honolulu and Waikiki. Both are DYNAMIC places to visit, and will provide a great experience - for what they are. Don't expect them to offer some sleepy little grass shack on the beach , because they are very far from that. The history of Honolulu as an international seaport city is worth exploring. Waikiki is where modern surfing was born, and offers a tremendous opportunity to understand why it became so popular. Pearl Harbor offers a sobering and eye-opening exploration into World War II, and how the USA was dragged into the war. Spending time at the Bishop Museum will educate you directly into the history of how the Hawaiian Islands became populated, and where that culture comes from. Then go see Iolani Palace, and learn firsthand how the US government stole the Hawaiian Islands from their rightful owners. It's a sick and embarrassing period of history, and shows the length business owners will go to in order to achieve their greedy ends. (If your husband is a Canadian First Nation member, then he will directly identify with everything waiting to be learned.) All of it will give you a rich and deep understanding of what makes the Hawaiian culture, the islands, and most importantly, the Hawaiian people, their marvelous character and amazing history. It's worth it.

But after having done that, get away from all of it, and go see the REST of Oahu. The windward side of the island, and going up the coast to the North Shore, to the less populated areas of the island are fantastic getaways, just a few miles from the hustle and bustle of the city. You'll find amazing beaches, most of which are deserted, and plenty of freedom to relax and enjoy your time on the island. It's a very different experience than anything in Honolulu and Waikiki. Separate, but both valuable things to experience.

Understand that each Hawaiian island has a unique feeling and flavor all its own. You can't see everything in one trip, so you'll have to make decisions on how you'll spend your time. Too many people come to Hawaii and never get out of the beach chair. They get waited on hand and foot, and they never see the core of what makes Hawaii truly a special place to visit.

As you're leaving, plan to come back and see the other islands. They each will draw you in, and show you even more of why Hawaii is, to me, heaven on Earth.

Enjoy yourself. It's awesome. :)

Dave

Dave wrote this before I could. :) I agree with everything he wrote. And, yes, we're in the minority here of liking Oahu.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Although Kauai is our favorite island, we love Oahu too (as well as Maui and the Big Island). Waikiki is vibrant, with a plethora of shops and restaurants all within walking distance. You can enjoy a mai tai while watching the sunset at the Royal Hawaiian or the Moana Surfrider, two truly classic hotels. You can also enjoy the sunset at the House Without a Key restaurant while listening to relaxing slack key guitar music and watching traditional hula gracefully performed by a former Miss Hawaii. You can catch a sunset sail on a catamaran parked on the beach in front of your hotel. You can take an outrigger canoe ride and find out what it's like to catch a wave, without getting wet.

If you rent a car for the day, you can enjoy the natural beauty of the rest of the island: Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Nuuanu Pali cliffs, Halona Blow Hole, Makapu'u Point light house, Chinaman's Hat, Laie Point rock bridge, and, of course, the spectacular waves of the North Shore. There are so many other reasons to go to Oahu. Don't be intimidated by the crowds or traffic, it's still worth it.

blakebr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Loud Aloha shirts are for tourists.
Subdued Aloha shirts are for locals.
Learn to say Mahalo instead of thank you.
If you enjoy Miami, FL you will enjoy Waikiki/Honolulu, HI.
It's the mainland not the states.
Get a rental car and get lost, several times. Take a wrong turn.
Eat at a hole-in-the-wall.
Everyone we talked to in Oahu liked Hawaii Five O.
Hawaiian's vacation in Las Vegas. Who would have thought?

Enjoy!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
#1) You can fly into one island and home from another. We only stayed on Oahu for two nights and spent the rest of the trip on Maui. I had no idea, you could fly into HNL and fly home from OGG on the same RT flight. Wasted $200 PLUS all the extra time because I thought you had to book in/out of the same island.

#2) If Oahu is in your plans (and I think you should spend at least a few nights there to see the WWII sites), then go there first, if at all possible. I've done it both ways, and definitely prefer Oahu first. Start with the "Wow!" and end with the "Ahhhh."

#3) Being homeless stinks. With most flights leaving at night, if you check-out on that day, you're homeless the rest of the day. From now on, I'm flying home the night before check-out, not the morning of check-out. Then I can enjoy that last day, head home, shower, change, and leave for the airport.

#4) If you've packed more than a medium sized suitcase, you've packed too much. Seriously. But definitely bring a wind breaker and some longs, as it can get chilly in the wind.

#5) Convertibles are better in theory than they are in reality.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
#1) You can fly into one island and home from another. We only stayed on Oahu for two nights and spent the rest of the trip on Maui. I had no idea, you could fly into HNL and fly home from OGG on the same RT flight. Wasted $200 PLUS all the extra time because I thought you had to book in/out of the same island.

#2) If Oahu is in your plans (and I think you should spend at least a few nights there to see the WWII sites), then go there first, if at all possible. I've done it both ways, and definitely prefer Oahu first. Start with the "Wow!" and end with the "Ahhhh."

#3) Being homeless stinks. With most flights leaving at night, if you check-out on that day, you're homeless the rest of the day. From now on, I'm flying home the night before check-out, not the morning of check-out. Then I can enjoy that last day, head home, shower, change, and leave for the airport.

#4) If you've packed more than a medium sized suitcase, you've packed too much. Seriously. But definitely bring a wind breaker and some longs, as it can get chilly in the wind.

It took us awhile, but we also came to the same 5 "discoveries". Regarding #3, we now spend a night on the west coast on the way over and on the way back at an airport hotel. By doing so, we're able to arrive in Hawaii in the afternoon, just in time for checkin, and leave Hawaii in the early afternoon so we're never homeless. It helps break up the long flights and the airport hotels on the west coast are much less/night than just about anything in Hawaii.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

In particular, I agree with #3: Last time we were on HI, we flew out a day early, just to have the unit for the full day, plus we were able to use fewer FF miles by leaving before the weekend. It was really nice to be able to enjoy that last day and refresh before heading to the airport. Probably is an easier decision for those spending 2 weeks or more on the islands.

OTOH, those just in for one week might want to cling on to those last few hours, even if 'homeless.' I recall one trip to Kauai where we had to spend the day homeless before the redeye, and I used the time to take an open-door helicopter ride. What a great send-off!

jestme

Reaction score
Dave wrote this before I could. :) I agree with everything he wrote. And, yes, we're in the minority here of liking Oahu.

I am also in that Oahu minority, for a different reason. Like the OP, I live in "cottage country". It is a quiet, relaxed, and laid back atmosphere here, and I love it. Having said that, when I go on vacation, I want some excitement, a large variety of restaurants, bars, and things to do. I don't want a quiet, remote place to chill. If I wanted that, I'd stay home. My wife, on the other hand wants to get away from any cooking, she wants beaches, sightseeing and shopping. (Lots and lots of shopping...:doh: )
We are trying Maui for a week in January for the first time since our honeymoon in 1978. I messed up a non-cancellable flight reservation :crash: to HNL and Maui was my only other option. We are going there first, then off to our "regular" vacation on Oahu. It's not the way others here suggest a multi-island visit.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Another Oahu fan.

We live in a suburban setting leaning towards rural in New Jersey (the Garden State). We have lots of open fields, woodland, farms and farmers markets. We have lots of horse farms in the area. LOL, I'm 15 minutes away from a Buffalo farm.

We fell in love with all of the major US city comforts Honolulu/Waikiki offers (various dining options and cuisine, shopping, entertainment, sidewalks, and public transportation) that you don't get with a tropical beach vacation in the Caribbean.

If I want to get away from it all I can take a shorter flight from NYC to anyone of the smaller Caribbean islands like Great Exuma.

What's One Thing You Wish You Had Known...
(1) All of the action is in Waikiki so it's best to stay in Waikiki if you're planning to spend most of your time there.
(2) It's not like the Caribbean

I really didn't do any research beforehand. Our first trip to Hawaii was an extended family cruise (4 couple). LOL, it wasn't even on my bucket list. I was just following the crowd for our family vacation. I wasn't expecting it to be so much different than the Caribbean islands and surprised how major city like Waikiki was. Yes, we were also surprised by the rush hour traffic and high parking rates.

Have a wonderful trip :hi:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

As to #3 that's why we like systems set up on points based reservations where we can book as many nights as we want. Right now our vacations need to be 7 night vacations. Last trip we booked 8 nights and for our next trip we've booked 8 nights. Sure it's an added expense but going to Hawaii isn't inexpensive for us anyway. I already hate the hassle of travel days so why spend the last day either "homeless" or as airport tourist until our flight leaves.

Our first trip we loaded the car up, hit a few shops and ate a decent meal before heading to the airport. The next trip we utilized the resort lounge (Hilton Hawaiian Village). The third trip I just booked 8 nights instead of 7 and spent the afternoon relaxing at the resort. For us that's the only way to go and how I plan on reserving our Hawaiian trips from here on out.

It's anywere from just under 11 hours to close to 16 hours of travel depending on stops and layovers. I want to relax before starting that long travel day.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Additional Helpful Tips

Forgot to mention....
Since our first trip, we've been back to Hawaii several times and have brought family and friends along.
Here's what I recently sent to family & friends for our trip last month. I think you might find it helpful.

NOTE: We try to stay at least two weeks due the high airfare and long flight from the East Coast.

Hawaii Ground Transportation

You have several options getting to/from the airport
Taxicab (approx $30 to $40 one way) - http://hawaii.gov/hnl/ground-transportation/taxicabs
Shuttle Bus (approx $15 per person one way) - http://hawaii.gov/hnl/ground-transportation/speedishuttle
Rental Car - For Car Rentals, I use http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com they normally offer the lowest daily and weekly rates.

NOTE: Parking in Waikiki is expensive (just like any other major city. The Hilton Hawaiian Village charges $27 daily to the room for self parking at their onsite parking garage

In Hawaii, try to avoid driving during prime weekday rush hour to avoid the bumper to bumper traffic due to the morning and evening commuters.

When we visit Hawaii, we always get gas at Costco. They generally offer the cheapest gas. The Iwilei (Honolulu) Costco is located just off of the Nimitz Highway between downtown Honolulu and Honolulu International Airport. I believe you need to be a Costco member.

Keep in mind that Honolulu is a major city. So you’ll have
- Sidewalks to walk to everything
- Public transportation options (taxicab or bus. The public bus runs to all of the major sights)
- Various nearby entertainment options (museums/exhibits, shows/theatres, parades/public events, concerts/live shows, etc)
- Various nearby dining options offering every cuisine imaginable in almost every price range
- Various malls, stores and supermarkets nearby (with familiar popular brands, etc)

However since you only have a week, you might want to rent a car to get to sights beyond Honolulu. It will be quicker by car than by bus.

Waikiki Map - http://www.oahughosttours.com/waikiki_map.htm
DaBus - http://www.thebus.org/
Waikiki Bus Guide - http://www.thebus.org/pop/Visitor_WaikikiGuide.pdf
Bus Routes & Timetables - http://www.thebus.org/Route/Routes.asp
Bus Fares - http://www.thebus.org/Fare/FarePasses.asp ($2.50 one way)

IMPORTANT TIPS

1. "Never turn your back on the ocean"

Most people are cautious when they are swimming or in the water, but a lot of people forget to be just as watchful when they are dry. If you are close to the water at all, keep your eyes on it. People have been swept out to sea or drowned while standing on the lava rocks or jetties assuming that they were safe just because they were dry, but if you are near the water keep your guard up
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/2009/03/never-turn-your-back-on-ocean.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=xwwGtU_MlYY
http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/guides/beach/beach_safety.php

2. Never leave food outside unattended.
LOL, I warned my stepmother about the birds. She didn't see any birds in sight so she decided to quickly dash into the room to refill her coffee leaving her muffin outside on the lanai unattended. When she got back a little sparrow was already on her plate eating her muffin.

3. Need spray for mosquitoes in dense forest areas.
If you're the type that normally gets bitten (like me), I advise that you spray yourself down before entering the various gardens.

4. Never leave valuables in the car.
Keep windows and sunroofs closed and doors locked. Never leave anything in plain view (on the seats or the floor) even an empty shopping bag -- could be seen as a carrier of valuables. Sadly we've seen broken glass on the ground from smashed windows. Experienced thieves often stake out parking lots to watch for people putting items in their trunk. Get into the habit of putting valuables in the trunk right when you return to the vehicle, rather than after you park at the next place. Thieves sometimes linger in busy parking lots looking for valuables being moved out of sight. Don't forget such telltale evidence as power plugs, adapters, navigation system windshield suction-cup mounts and even put the cigarette lighter back in place. Thieves know what they're looking for, so hide the electronic accessories, too.

5. Pay attention to Tsunami warning - Pacific Tsunami Warning Center - http://ptwc.weather.gov/

A Tsunami Watch means that an earthquake in the Pacific Basin may have produced dangerous waves that could affect Oahu. If waves are confirmed,
· A Tsunami Warning will be issued.
· Civil Defense sirens will be sounded island-wide.
· Be prepared to evacuate:
o Beaches and low lying coastal areas.
o Vertically - To the third floor or above in a multiple story building of heavy concrete or steel construction that has at least six stories.
o Horizontally - By moving outside the zones and remaining in place or going to a nearby shelter.

NOTE: We experienced a tsunami warning while we were on vacation in 2010 triggered by a massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake in Chile. We were woken up in the early morning hours by the Tsunami sirens even though the first wave wasn’t expected until 11am. At the time, we were staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in the oceanfront Lagoon Tower on the 24th floor. They basically kept everyone off the streets and beaches in Waikiki. We just went out and stocked up on essentials (bottle water, canned foods, flashlight, candles, matches, etc) and sat out on our oceanfront lanai watching the private yachts leave the nearby marina and the police patrolling the area. Since we were on high floor, I wasn’t concerned but my youngest sister who was visiting Hawaii for the 1st time was very scared due to the constant sirens and extensive news coverage. Sadly she has vowed never to return to Hawaii even thought she enjoyed everything else. I thought everything was very well organized and controlled. It was strange walking around trying to find an open store for supplies (even the ABC stores on every corner were closed).

Since we were on the 24th floor I didn’t leave Waikiki. There's about 8-10 feet to a story so we're 190 feet high. They were moving guests from the lower floors. I also didn’t want to be stuck in traffic or run out of gas trying to get to higher ground. And I didn’t want to get stranded for days without food or shelter because I can't get back to the resort or leave to go home due to possible flooding, power outages, road closures or whatever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/us/28warning.html?_r=0
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-6249805.html

YOUR STAY

REMINDER: All of the beaches in Hawaii are public (not private).
Don't forget to pack flip flops and/or water shoes. I like flip flops instead of slippers for walking around our two bedroom unit.

All four major islands (Oahu, Maui, Kauai and the Big Island) have major supermarket chains (Safeway, Foodland, Times, Whole Foods) and stores like Costo, Sams Club, Walmart, Kmart and Target. Also you’ll find tons of convenient stores called ABC Stores almost at every corner. There’s even one within the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

The closest Grocery Store within walking distance of the Hilton Hawaiian Village is the Food Pantry on 438 Hobron Lane - http://www.yelp.com/biz/food-pantry-ltd-honolulu-3

If you have a car, there's a nice Safeway supermarket at 888 Kapahulu Avenue (NOTE: additional parking is available on the top of the supermarket just take the ramp; Definitely sign up for their shoppers card for discounts) - http://local.safeway.com/hi/honolulu-2747.html

NOTE: A newer Safeway at 1234 S. Beretania St.that I’ve never been to and is a little closer - http://local.safeway.com/hi/honolulu-2944.html

There are plenty of options offsite. All of the major restaurant chains are here – McDonalds, Subway, Denny’s, Cheesecake Factory, Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse, Hard Rock Cafe, Senor Frog’s, Margaritaville, Bubba Gumps, Macaroni Grill, P.F. Chang’s,etc

We like trying different foods, so I generally use the restaurant reviews on Tripadvisor.com & yelp.com.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g29222-Oahu_Hawaii-Vacations.html
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=&find_loc=oahu&ns=1&ls=b9c214b29ad2ef8b#cflt=restaurants

Happy Hour Food & Drinks
- http://www.waikikimenus.com/happy.php
- http://www.livindaisland.com/DA_HAPPY_HOUR.html
- http://www.dailyhappyhour.com/hawaii/honolulu/

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Number 1 for sure !!!! Learned the hard way more than once. Even laying on a short beach can be something you might never forget.

1. "Never turn your back on the ocean"

Bill

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I TOTALLY agree. Waikiki is a must for first time visitors, but we found that we loved it for what it is. We have been to Kauai and the Big Island also, and they are unique in their own way. But whenever we go back, we will spend time in Waikiki first (or last) because of the dynamic things to do!!

I disagree about avoiding Honolulu and Waikiki. Both are DYNAMIC places to visit, and will provide a great experience - for what they are. Don't expect them to offer some sleepy little grass shack on the beach , because they are very far from that. The history of Honolulu as an international seaport city is worth exploring. Waikiki is where modern surfing was born, and offers a tremendous opportunity to understand why it became so popular. Pearl Harbor offers a sobering and eye-opening exploration into World War II, and how the USA was dragged into the war. Spending time at the Bishop Museum will educate you directly into the history of how the Hawaiian Islands became populated, and where that culture comes from. Then go see Iolani Palace, and learn firsthand how the US government stole the Hawaiian Islands from their rightful owners. It's a sick and embarrassing period of history, and shows the length business owners will go to in order to achieve their greedy ends. (If your husband is a Canadian First Nation member, then he will directly identify with everything waiting to be learned.) All of it will give you a rich and deep understanding of what makes the Hawaiian culture, the islands, and most importantly, the Hawaiian people, their marvelous character and amazing history. It's worth it.

But after having done that, get away from all of it, and go see the REST of Oahu. The windward side of the island, and going up the coast to the North Shore, to the less populated areas of the island are fantastic getaways, just a few miles from the hustle and bustle of the city. You'll find amazing beaches, most of which are deserted, and plenty of freedom to relax and enjoy your time on the island. It's a very different experience than anything in Honolulu and Waikiki. Separate, but both valuable things to experience.

Understand that each Hawaiian island has a unique feeling and flavor all its own. You can't see everything in one trip, so you'll have to make decisions on how you'll spend your time. Too many people come to Hawaii and never get out of the beach chair. They get waited on hand and foot, and they never see the core of what makes Hawaii truly a special place to visit.

As you're leaving, plan to come back and see the other islands. They each will draw you in, and show you even more of why Hawaii is, to me, heaven on Earth.

Enjoy yourself. It's awesome. :)

Dave

Czahara1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Newbie to the islands

What is one thing that you wish you had known before you went to Hawaii? Please share your expertise with a newbie to the islands! :hi:

Invest in a guide book before you go. The Hawaii Revealed series is popular, and can be downloaded on to an Ipad or other tablets. It will help pass the time on the flight over, and will help you plan the activities you find interesting.

Make flexible day plans depending on weather. Pick activities for both sunny and rainy weather. You will likely experience both.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Realize that going to Hawaii is addictive. I had no idea I'd be going back every year, much less 2-3x some years!

Former Cruiser

TUG Member
Reaction score
As DeniseM said, "DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE SUN!!" My husband is dark complected, dark hair, and never(?) burns. We did a lot of snorkeling while we were there. He burned his scalp so badly 2 years later he developed Stage IIC Melanoma. He's doing well so far, but we are oh so more careful now.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Realize that going to Hawaii is addictive. I had no idea I'd be going back every year, much less 2-3x some years!

Agreed. We thought we'd probably go once, then start going back to Europe (approx same flight time and cost) or cruise. Instead we have our fifth trip booked for next year and haven't cruised since.

memereDoris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having vacationed mostly in the Caribbean and Florida prior to our first Hawaii visit, I was very disappointed that walking barefoot on the beach was not an option in most areas we went. Definitely bring water shoes.

The only major disappointment on 3 islands (Maui, Kauai, Big Island) was the plantation train in Maui. Don't waste your money.

The prices for most things in Hawaii were a little cheaper than what we are accustomed to in northern Alberta and a lot cheaper than B.C. (bring cash).

We have to return for our youngest daughter's wedding next year.:banana:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Having vacationed mostly in the Caribbean and Florida prior to our first Hawaii visit, I was very disappointed that walking barefoot on the beach was not an option in most areas we went. Definitely bring water shoes.

The only major disappointment on 3 islands (Maui, Kauai, Big Island) was the plantation train in Maui. Don't waste your money.

The prices for most things in Hawaii were a little cheaper than what we are accustomed to in northern Alberta and a lot cheaper than B.C. (bring cash).

We have to return for our youngest daughter's wedding next year.:banana:

Nobody is wasting their money on the Sugar Cane Train anymore. Their last run was 8/1/2014. http://www.sugarcanetrain.com/

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned