• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan Riviers vs Mayan Palace Riviera??

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the Grand Mayan Riviera units are the newer & nicer buildings with better views, why are they less TPU's to trade into?

For Jan/Feb 2012 exchange, the Grand Mayan's are 13 or 14 TPU's, whereas the Mayan Palace units are 19 or 20 TPU's. Isn't that backwards from what you'd expect? I've looked at the reviews, maps and threads but am still confused.

The Grand Mayan are the larger units in the buildings that surround the pond in a horshoe shape looking out toward the ocean. Each unit has it's own little dunking pool. The Mayan palace buildings are stacked on top of each other perpendicular to the ocean, with mostly no views. The Grand Mayan should cost more to trade into, but it's not. What am I missing?

We want to book a couple of 2 bdrms units for a family getaway in Jan or Feb. There's ample availability at each, but want to book at the nicer of the two. Which should I be looking to stay at?

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Grand Mayan......

I would stay in the Grand Mayan for several reasons. Except for the Grand Luxxe area, you can access all the areas of the resort and there are/can be more activities to select. The GM has the large balcony as you mentioned with the dipping pool which is a nice feature. The MP's balcony only allows you to stand or use a chair sideways and you are restricted to the MP pool area. They do watch since you wear wristbands designating where you are staying.
We have owned/stayed in both of these and enjoyed all our vacations, but go for the Grand Mayan.
We only use and do not exchange so I do not understand why MP is more than the GM unless it is a system error.
Enjoy......

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Mayan no contest

We've stayed at both, Grand Mayan units are much nicer. You can still be far away from the beach, pools and restaurants no matter where you stay. Balconies at the Mayan are a joke, as are the kitchens. Grand Mayan is more upscale in every way. I can't understand the Tpu difference, it seems backwards.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I own at both, and if you have a choice - go for Grand Mayan. The units are a little larger, the frig certainly is and the patio is really nice at the GM. If you have small children, they will love the dipping pool.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for confirming that the Grand Mayan is the one to go with. It is a bit odd that it takes less to trade into. Maybe they have a greater supply of the Grand Mayan to get rid of. That's the only reason I can think of.

rpennisi

Reaction score
There are 2 RCI listings for the MP (6635 and 6483).
There is only one listing for GM.
For some reason, the MP listings for 6635 and much lower than 6483 (developer weeks vs. deposited weeks?).
There are 21 MP buildings running perpendicular to the beach.
There are 13 GM buildings, the last 6 running perpendicular to the beach, out farther than GM buildings 1-7.
With both RCI listings for MP and only one for GM, there are many more MP units available for Jan/Feb than GM units.
Grab the GM unit(s) while they last.

BC Bum

Reaction score
I've been to MP RM 10x. I prefer MP to Grand Mayan. I always request and insist on a room in bldgs 1 through 4. Then you are steps from the large MP pool, the beach, the main building with the grocery store and all of the restaurants. The GM rooms are nicer, but I would rather have the location of MP. I spend minimal time in the room anyway. The Grand Mayan is too far from everything and has no views at all. Just my preference. I'd stay in either one though.

CalifasGirl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been to MP RM 10x. I prefer MP to Grand Mayan. I always request and insist on a room in bldgs 1 through 4. Then you are steps from the large MP pool, the beach, the main building with the grocery store and all of the restaurants. The GM rooms are nicer, but I would rather have the location of MP. I spend minimal time in the room anyway. The Grand Mayan is too far from everything and has no views at all. Just my preference. I'd stay in either one though.
Maybe that's the reason? We stayed at the GM, and it was very far to get to the main pool and restaurants. It's a hike, while the MP seems to be closer to everything. Depends on whether you prefer seclusion and a relaxed atmosphere or being in the hub of things. Of course, being at the GM, you have access to almost everything, while MP is restricted from GM amenities.

BC Bum

Reaction score
Technically MP owners don't have access to GM -it never stopped me;)

waldvogelmj

Reaction score
If you had a 30 point deposit and a 14 point deposit, would you spend 14 points for a one bedroom at Mayan Palace or 14 points for a hotel room at Grand Mayan?

Or is it worth the RCI combining fee to spend the 16 points I need for a one bedroom at Grand Mayan and combine the fragments I have left?

It would be perfect to use that 14 point deposit for a 14 point trade if possible.

rpennisi

Reaction score
If you had a 30 point deposit and a 14 point deposit, would you spend 14 points for a one bedroom at Mayan Palace or 14 points for a hotel room at Grand Mayan?

Or is it worth the RCI combining fee to spend the 16 points I need for a one bedroom at Grand Mayan and combine the fragments I have left?

It would be perfect to use that 14 point deposit for a 14 point trade if possible.

I own at the MP and I trade through RCI for GM when I can. I would go for the one bedroom GM. To me, the extra $ to get the GM would be worth it, and have extra TPU and time (that gets extended combining also) for another future trade.

A 14 trade with a 14 deposit is perfect numerically, but I would go GM.

Your MP trade as well as GM trade could be way out away from the pools in either case. You probably will not get MP 1-4 or GM 1-7.

waldvogelmj

Reaction score
What's way away? We don't mind walking, but are you talking miles? How many minute walk is worse case?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

I would take a 1 bedroom Mayan Palace over a GM Hotel room any day. The one bedroom unit will have 2 rooms plus the bathroom (with a separate sink just off the entry) and you will also have a small frige, a microwave, coffeemaker, blender, and 2 burner cook-top. It is nice to be able to spread out rather than just have a hotel room in the evenings and early morning.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
What's way away? We don't mind walking, but are you talking miles? How many minute walk is worse case?

Here is the photo from Google earth that was taken this year. The U-shaped group are GM buildings 1-7, then the ones on the left side going towards the highway are also Grand Mayan unit. I think the Grand Bliss is closest to the highway. The triangle shaped buildings are Grand Luxxe, and the ones that are smaller and start closest to the ocean and go almost to the highway are Mayan Palace. There are a bunch on the far right side that have yet to open. They originally were to be Mayan Palace, then Mayan Palace, Regency, and now Bliss. (The 3 with a whiter looking roof behind the GL are currently the only 3 Bliss units anywhere - I am not sure that all three are open though.)

Shuttles run continuously between the units.

[url=http://pittle.smugmug.com/Mayan-Palace-Pools/n-gFLmc/i-3NqcHpw/A] [/URL]

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here's another map that I found helpful.

RivieraMayaMap.jpg

rpennisi

Reaction score

Worst case the walk is about 10 minutes, no not talking miles. Maybe half a mile from GM 13 or MP 21 to the pools and they are the farthest out (and there are frequent shuttles going by if it's too hot or you're too tired) to and from the pools.

The complex is big, but you can walk it.

I agree with Phyllis, if you only want to use your 14 TPU's for a 14 trade, then take the MP one bedroom over a studio GM (which is only a hotel unit). A suite is always more enjoyable. But if you decide to use your other banked unit, then go for the GM for more comfort and luxury.