• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Deposit

Don40

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Being a Gold VIP are you able to make a value deposit of 35K points and get an upgrade to value points of 52K. If so how is the done?

Not sure if this is a VIP perk that I understand.
Thank for any information on this.

perigo449

TUG Member
Reaction score
The following is from a post in the past which help me understand(didn't find the post. From my notes of the post.):

If you are gold or platinum VIP you call the VIP Wyndham/RCI number as this must be done by a VC. Not all are aware of this benefit so if the one you get doesn't know what to do either tell them to ask someone or get someone else to talk to you.
What happens is that you tell them you want to deposit an amount of points with an upgrade into RCI and they upgrade that and actually deposit a higher amount of points. There is a chart that indicates the amount of points needed - it must be that exact amount.
For instance in quiet if you deposit 35,000 they will actually deposit 63,000 points for you or if you deposit 77,000 points they will actually deposit 126,000 points for you.

Current RCI table

Demand Studio 1 Bedroom 2 Bedroom 3 Bedroom or More

Value 52,000 77,000 126,000 159,000
Quiet 35,000 63,000 77,000 112,000

For me it is about 50/50 in getting a VC that knows of this VIP benefit into RCI. I discuss the upgrade in detail with the VC before giving the go to deposit.

Hopefully this helps.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being a Gold VIP are you able to make a value deposit of 35K points and get an upgrade to value points of 52K. If so how is the done?

Not sure if this is a VIP perk that I understand.
Thank for any information on this.

No. RCI exchanges are not eligible for VIP benefits. If you deposit 35K points, it will count as 35K points as if you were not VIP. The 35% discount that you can get in booking within 60 days of check-in does not extend to being able to get a higher value for your RCI deposit.

The other advantage related to usage of points of your VIP membership is that you have longer to decide to credit pool your points - you have until June 30 (assuming you have a January use year). Points are generally best used within the Wyndham system (especially if you are able to use your VIP benefits to discount and upgrade), and credit pooling extends the life of the points to 3 years from the date you credit pool.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
The following is from a post in the past which help me understand(didn't find the post. From my notes of the post.):

If you are gold or platinum VIP you call the VIP Wyndham/RCI number as this must be done by a VC. Not all are aware of this benefit so if the one you get doesn't know what to do either tell them to ask someone or get someone else to talk to you.
What happens is that you tell them you want to deposit an amount of points with an upgrade into RCI and they upgrade that and actually deposit a higher amount of points. There is a chart that indicates the amount of points needed - it must be that exact amount.
For instance in quiet if you deposit 35,000 they will actually deposit 63,000 points for you or if you deposit 77,000 points they will actually deposit 126,000 points for you.

Current RCI table

For me it is about 50/50 in getting a VC that knows of this VIP benefit into RCI. I discuss the upgrade in detail with the VC before giving the go to deposit.

Hopefully this helps.

Gary, have you actually done this yourself? I am not sure this is a current benefit. If it is, I haven't had the opportunity to speak to the right VC yet.

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
Gary, have you actually done this yourself? I am not sure this is a current benefit. If it is, I haven't had the opportunity to speak to the right VC yet.

Bob,

I agree. I have tended to stay away from RCI, because I can do much better as a VIP Platinum right in Wyndham. If this is correct, it puts a whole new light on RCI as an option.

Jim

perigo449

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did two RCI upgrades in the last two weeks.

slabeaume

Reaction score
Dang, I should have read this in the morning. I just put my remaining cancelled points for this year into RCI.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did two RCI upgrades in the last two weeks.

Thank you for posting this. I assume you deposit quiet studios upgraded to 1BR since that returns the biggest deposit bonus (1.8X)? Do you just ask them to deposit several at a time if you want to deposit say, 140K points overall? Break it into 4 quiet studios to get the most points for it?

I deposited some points at the end of last year when I had no alternatives but did not know about this feature.

Don40

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will try to do some RCI deposits tomorrow and let you know the results.

Xcalibur

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. I assume you deposit quiet studios upgraded to 1BR since that returns the biggest deposit bonus (1.8X)? Do you just ask them to deposit several at a time if you want to deposit say, 140K points overall? Break it into 4 quiet studios to get the most points for it?

I deposited some points at the end of last year when I had no alternatives but did not know about this feature.

Yes it can be done and does need to be a CA in to a VC. The catch with RCI is that the good resorts can only be visited once every 4 or 5 years.

Xcalibur

Reaction score
Yes it can be done and does need to be a CA in to a VC. The catch with RCI is that the good resorts can only be visited once every 4 or 5 years.

As well, please not that the math works in reverse with an upgrade. I. E. A 50% discount from 100k points to 50k points is the same as a 100% increase from 50k to 100k. In other words, the RCI upgrade is nice but not spectacular. Especially when you account for the fees for RCI. Plus,you have to pay for a cancellation insurance. Lot of fees in RCI...

Don40

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just made 4 deposits today 35K were put in as 63k. This is not a bad perk especially since the points were all cancelled from getting upgrades earlier in the year.
This was a light year of travel, so I will make it up next year.

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be making a year end deposit with some leftover points and am wondering on a best strategy. Keep in mind that I haven't used RCI to exchange for over a decade - it just doesn't fit my travel needs as well as direct point reservations through CWP. Multiple deposits with my 126k points may not appeal to me as I think I'll have a hard time using even a single deposit.

Here's my question: Are each of the levels/point values (e.g. quiet/studio/35k, high/1br/105k, etc.) associated with a TPU? If so, would it make sense to try to maximize the TPU across all deposits with the total points available to deposit? Do we have any evidence of what a particular deposit will fetch, TPU-wise?

On a related note, the website will allow for deposits, but there is no mention of what size unit or season when requesting that deposit (e.g. a 77k deposit could be high/studio, value/1br, or quiet/2br). How would the season/size be determined using this method? Does this suggest that each have the same TPU value and season/size does not matter?

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be making a year end deposit with some leftover points and am wondering on a best strategy. Keep in mind that I haven't used RCI to exchange for over a decade - it just doesn't fit my travel needs as well as direct point reservations through CWP. Multiple deposits with my 126k points may not appeal to me as I think I'll have a hard time using even a single deposit.

Here's my question: Are each of the levels/point values (e.g. quiet/studio/35k, high/1br/105k, etc.) associated with a TPU? If so, would it make sense to try to maximize the TPU across all deposits with the total points available to deposit? Do we have any evidence of what a particular deposit will fetch, TPU-wise?

On a related note, the website will allow for deposits, but there is no mention of what size unit or season when requesting that deposit (e.g. a 77k deposit could be high/studio, value/1br, or quiet/2br). How would the season/size be determined using this method? Does this suggest that each have the same TPU value and season/size does not matter?

Forget TPU questions in the Wyndham portal. They are essentially a non issue. Also, in the Wyndham portal, once the points are deposited into RCI, they will not end up as separate deposits but a composite total number of points to be "spent" as needed. You are right that a deposit via the website will not distinguish between seasons, which is why others have said that this can only be accomplished by calling in.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score

The best way to do it would be to make the call in to the center and get a VC that knows how to do it, and deposit and "upgrade" a studio in quiet season to a 1BR. That maximizes the value of points being deposited (a 35K point cost "returns" 63K of deposit). As previous poster said, the points are all combined in what is essentially a "credit pool". No need to worry about TPUs at all.

Don40

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Wyndham portal is a fixed points exchange.

Prime 90,000 126,000 205,000 300,000
High 77,000. 105,000 165,000 232,000

No matter where you trade, these are the points requirements.

One note RCI will let you do an on going search without a deposit until December 31. This is a special.

elleny76

Reaction score
I am new and I bought resale . questions is....Do I get to transfer points to RCI and get the double amount as per the discussion. Or its just for VIP wyndhams?
(*Not sure if this is a VIP perk that I understand)

What is TPU, ARP? why should I care about this? thanks:confused:

elleny76

Reaction score
VIp only?

I am new and I bought resale . questions is....Do I get to transfer points to RCI and get the double amount as per the discussion. Or its just for VIP wyndhams?
(*Not sure if this is a VIP perk that I understand)

What is TPU, ARP? why should I care about this? thanks:confused:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No extra perks like extra points in RCI for resale owners who are not VIP through other developer purchases. tpu's are trading power units. They are not used with Wyndham points only with regular weeks through RCI. APR is advanced priority booking that you can do at your home resort before the 10 months when it opens for everyone. APR is only important for some resorts and/or dates and/or seasons.

elleny76

Reaction score
Tx

TSCHWA2..TX..you are the best!..

I need to find a " 101 wyndham _RCI for nerds" or something.. I am trying to access RCI through Wyndham but it says error... aghhh:rolleyes:

Don40

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a reminder to all Gold and Platinum owners who have left over points, you can deposit into RCI and get the points increase.

This year they call it points discount deposit into RCI.

ekajun1957

Reaction score
"Worldwide External Exchange Unit size upgrade" It appears in the directory listed in benefits for VIP. So what you are doing is calling and saying I want to make a deposit to RCI for x size room. Then tell them you want to upgrade to next size up. So they deposit the upgraded amount then you can use them as you want.
And using the chart you would best off telling them I am making a deposit for a studio during quiet for 35K it becomes 63K.

Is that the gist of it?