• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Quality of rooms when booking a unit that is RCI, Wyndham, and others

Xcalibur

Reaction score
I'm curious... How do the front desk staff assign rooms when ppl are booking via RCI vs Wyndham vs other r timeshares. Some resorts are owned by multiple companies and some also have private owners as well. Do the booking staff or front desk staff have much say or leeway in it? Can Anybody in the hotel industry comment?

What has been your experience when you book into a Wyndham mixed ownership resort? Did it differ when you booked it via RCI?

Likewise, does rci/hilton/holiday inn/sheraton /etc... Treat an RCI-Wyndham owner differently than a non-timeshare booked room (eg Expedia booking).

My gut... Expedia and travel websites get the worse rooms. Competing timeshare owner may get better rooms and vip on your own exchange gets you the best rooms. Non-vip but developer purchase gets you a good room. A resale owner is on par or a bit below par of a retail Non-vip owner.

I would love to hear what you think and your own experiences in booking via Wyndham and via RCI or II.

Thanks

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ve only gotten a "bad" room once, and that was as a Wyndham VIP owner checking into a Wyndham property

In my experience the front desk staff dont care where you came from you are their guest and they do the best they can for you. Unfortunately there are certain realities in construction. Not every floor can be the top floor, and some thing has to be next to the elevator. I think its just luck that determines where you are placed.

Ive had the best luck when I arrive early and I ask nicely. I find approaching the desk with a sense of entitlement does no good whatsoever, and often backfires.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have had decent luck getting the room where I want if I call the front desk at the resort at least 2 months in advance of the reservation, and then again with a follow up call a couple days before the reservation. When you call, they usually say they will try to accommodate your room request, but there are no guarantees.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can Anybody in the hotel industry comment?

Timeshares are not hotels, and you can't really compare them to hotels, because timeshares have different policies.

Generally, with an unassigned view, the front desk has complete authority as to where to assign you, but they are going to look after their owners first.

Usually, owners get the best locations (ocean view or whatever the best location is at the particular resort.)

But throughout the resort, the "quality" of the timeshare units should be the same, whether you are an exchanger or an owner.

However, if you are exchanging into one of the low-end timeshares, all bets are off - they may have some undesirable rooms, and that is usually pretty obvious when you look them up in the TUG reviews.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
In most of my inbounds, exchangers seem to be treated about the same as owners. There are a few exceptions. For example, one of the Wyndham MB resorts never deposits units from the oceanside buildings. Likewise, DVC almost never deposits certain views in a few resorts. But, that's because both systems allow their owners to book internally for a period of several months before they deposit anything. I don't begrudge them that.

linpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had really good luck by calling at least a month before arrival and requesting - very politely - a soecific building or floor. I usually include that I' ve stayed there before and really liked the view, quiet, etc. and I've been happy with the results.

I do wonder though how per night rentals are assigned- like the nightly stays on Travelocity or Orbitz.

Xcalibur

Reaction score
I've had really good luck by calling at least a month before arrival and requesting - very politely - a soecific building or floor. I usually include that I' ve stayed there before and really liked the view, quiet, etc. and I've been happy with the results.

I do wonder though how per night rentals are assigned- like the nightly stays on Travelocity or Orbitz.

i've found that hotels recognize how you booked. i've found them to be less flexible with upgrades, etc... because they are paid less for a travel website booking than a direct booking. I actually book direct with a hotel because i've found the service, flexibility to be better. I will generally get them to match the online price, OR sometimes they will have an even better internal rate.

I know that the same 'recognition' occurs in the timeshare resorts and wonder what the behind the scenes mentality is like... of course, if we don't have behind the scenes intel, then anectdotal experiences are what we can use...

thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There are no resort staff members that post on TUG - probably some lurkers, but not anyone who ID's themselves as timeshare resort staff.

Generally, the resort management companies do not want their staff posting on TUG - if they did - they would have an official presence on TUG - which they don't. In most cases, they do not want to be put on the spot, and answer questions about their policies in an open forum.

Years ago, RCI has an official representative here, but it got to hot for them and they resigned.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
In some cases, there is a difference in the type of inventory assigned through an exchange versus directly within the system. For example, an RCI exchange into Wyndham Ocean Boulevard will almost always be in Tower 4 (the unit across the street, rather than one of the 3 oceanfront towers). Since the inventory that is released to exchange companies is the inventory that hasn't been pre-booked within the system, it is generally going to be the less desirable inventory; of course there can be exceptions.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Any difference at Bonnet Creek when booking Wyndham vs. RCI? I'm debating on which way to go as booking thru RCI saves a ton of points; the $209 exchange fee is worth it if I'm saving 100K points.

But if rooms booked via Wyndham are usually much nicer I'll probably go that route.

happyhopian

Reaction score
Any difference at Bonnet Creek when booking Wyndham vs. RCI? I'm debating on which way to go as booking thru RCI saves a ton of points; the $209 exchange fee is worth it if I'm saving 100K points.

But if rooms booked via Wyndham are usually much nicer I'll probably go that route.

Deluxe rooms at BC are not assigned until the day of check in through a process of inventory control. Presidential units can be reserved with a 'do not move' assignment but deluxe rooms do not work like this.

memereDoris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had "bad" rooms as a Wyndham VIP owner checking into a Wyndham property.

For us, I think it has more to do with late arrivals. YEG (Edmonton) to FLL or MIA tend to either land at 10:00 am or 11:30 pm (12-16 hr flights). We have a choice of flying all night to land in the morning or we get the "dregs". This happens even if we call ahead to notify of late arrival.

Next week we land in the morning for this reason. I get tired of being put into crappy rooms. I am still hopeful that one day, we may find more direct flights.

bdmauk

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pier 7, Fox Hills

We've had great room assignments when using an RCI exchange. Try to request a water view, higher floor 2 weeks in advance.
We even got a new, much better room assigned after we checked into a room with a parking lot view on the back side of the resort.

TimMikel

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Forest Resort and Club; Windward Passage Resort; Redington Ambassador; Sea Club V
Based on deposit

Many resorts, especially weeks resorts, base the unit assignment on the actual unit that was deposited by the owner, then received in exchange. These are generally not able to be changed.

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about if I rent from an Wyndham owner?

Just curious. Will I be treated 'better' (because I'm not an owner and perhaps I might buy if I'm impressed), the same as an owner, like an exchanger or a direct renter? Or do you think it's just timing as when I show up?

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
Just curious. Will I be treated 'better' (because I'm not an owner and perhaps I might buy if I'm impressed), the same as an owner, like an exchanger or a direct renter? Or do you think it's just timing as when I show up?

I think this is counter intuitive... shouldn't owners be treated the best possible when staying at a home resort??? Then exchange guests and then renters.

I think it depends on the resort what room you're going to get and the resort's policy. As mentioned previously, I agree that some resorts give you the week that was actually deposited. We frequent several timeshares that have this policy. I asked about the room assignment policy and was told we would get the room deposited unless there was a maintenance issue.

Other resorts, I think those larger and professionally managed, don't assign rooms until check-in, so the sooner you get there the better chance you have at getting a better room or at least moved to another room.

I'm en route to Jockey Club and won't get there until about 11:00 p.m. Las Vegas time tonight and although I've put a very sympathetic request for a room with a fountain view, I'm prepared if I get the wall view.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
A few years ago we stayed at Resort at World Golf Village in St Augustine. They put us in an older unit, while we were there they had to turn the water off in our building. They let us use the bathroom in another unit in another building until they turned the water back on.
The unit we borrowed was brand new, beautiful furnishings, new appliances, nice linens etc... We asked if we could move into that unit for the rest of our stay, but we were not permitted. I think they did that to show us what we could have if we bought there. No thanks! We made the best of our stay in the worn out unit. Have not been back to that resort since!
TerryC