• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale closing costs - this seems high

Reaction score
New to board. Long time RCI member. Purchased unseen unit for $100 and have traded for resorts all over the world. I recently sold a different unit and paid $1,600 in closing, now I'm trying to buy another. Below is the email I received including purchase details. Does this seem reasonable?

Hi Rick,

We are the brokerage firm for SellMyTimeshareNow.com, I received your inquiry on ad #1635341 for a purchase at Marriott's Sabal Palms. The purchase price is listed at $2000. How would you like to move forward? Would you like to make an offer on this property?

Please reply back with the following so I can further assist you:
1. Any additional questions you would like answered from the seller

2. Timeframe you are looking to make this purchase - or - your current interest level at this point

3. Closing Cost includes:

· Title Company Fee $699 (charge for services rendered)

· Transfer Fee $120 (set by the resort)

· TBS Administration Fee $195 ($100 discount offered if a signed contract is returned within 24 hours)

· Brokerage Fee $595

4. Your best line of communication Email or Phone

Total purchase price $3609.

We do get an influx of inquiries and unfortunately they need to be prioritized by Buyer interest level. If a seller accepts your offer, the title company is going to require that escrow be established prior to generating contracts.

No financing options available from the seller. Prior to contacting the seller, are you in position to move forward with a cash purchase?

Thanks,

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
They are (enormously) padding the fees to increase their profit.

My favorite title company charges about $150...

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they want a "brokerage fee," the seller should pay it--that is who they represent. I'm sure they are double dipping the buyer and seller here, and I wouldn't buy on the basis of the ridiculous closing cost and the "brokerage fee"

I have yet to see a deal I like on SMTN.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wouldnt you love to be that seller, knowing you had an interested party for a timeshare and not realizing the company you paid hundreds of dollars to "sell" for you is driving away buyers with outrageous closing costs?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I thought I would never buy anything from SMTN but I am now in closing for one. You can always make an all in offer. Now that it is getting toward the end of the year, owners may be more willing to deal because they don't want to pay next year's MF. The one I got was listed at $3000. There were several others listed in the $15,000-$25,000 range. I offered $2000 including all closing costs and transfer fees. The owner accepted.

ladixson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I inquired with them and when I told them that I thought their fees were very high and wanted to know if they had any listings where the seller paid the closing costs, the response I got was that the seller doesn't generally like to pay the closing costs because they've already paid them around $1700 to sell their timeshare.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I inquired with them and when I told them that I thought their fees were very high and wanted to know if they had any listings where the seller paid the closing costs, the response I got was that the seller doesn't generally like to pay the closing costs because they've already paid them around $1700 to sell their timeshare.

That sounds like a them problem, not a you problem. :)

OP: "If they paid to sell their timeshare, why are you soaking the buyer for another $600, plus an inflated closing fee, plus a $100 "administrative fee" (???) for a transfer/closing YOU perform in-house?"

Sounds like they stead to make $X,XXX from the seller and $1,400 from the buyer if they find a sucker.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who cares what they make

If the total cost is more than you want to pay, don't pay it and keep shopping. But if the total cost is what you think it's worth, buy it

leeomo

TUG Member
Reaction score
High Fees

We are brand new to Timeshare ownership. Thanks to TUG and this forum, we have successfuly negotiated contracts found here. The SMTN ads were extremely overpriced and the fees were ridiculous compared to other closing agents. I told them on an offer I attempted to work on, if I had to pay my closing and transfer fees then I would select the company, that is just good business. The poor Seller probably doesn't know their agent drove away a ready, willing, and able buyer from the table being greedy!

glmyers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good advice

Who cares what they make

If the total cost is more than you want to pay, don't pay it and keep shopping. But if the total cost is what you think it's worth, buy it

Everything is negotiable in a transaction and the bottom line is either you think you are paying an appropriate amount of money to acquire it or you don't. If you think the fees are out of line, offer to make the deal for a lower price or only if the fees are lower; maybe you request both.

Buying a timeshare is much more like buying a car than buying groceries. Consider the price an fees as merely a suggestion and go from there. Some fees are truly fixed such as the county recorder fee and taxes, but even those have some leeway; it is generally cheaper to record a two page deed than a four page deed and paying say $1,500 and a $500 "broker fee" will result in a lower transfer tax than simply paying $2,000.

Never pay more than you are comfortable paying, and never worry about the label by any particular charge. The bottom line is all that matters.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who cares what they make

My thoughts exactly, some of the best deals I got have been 90%+ closing costs but we're still a steal overall.

friedshrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Everything is negotiable in a transaction and the bottom line is either you think you are paying an appropriate amount of money to acquire it or you don't. If you think the fees are out of line, offer to make the deal for a lower price or only if the fees are lower; maybe you request both.

Buying a timeshare is much more like buying a car than buying groceries. Consider the price an fees as merely a suggestion and go from there. Some fees are truly fixed such as the county recorder fee and taxes, but even those have some leeway; it is generally cheaper to record a two page deed than a four page deed and paying say $1,500 and a $500 "broker fee" will result in a lower transfer tax than simply paying $2,000.

Never pay more than you are comfortable paying, and never worry about the label by any particular charge. The bottom line is all that matters.

True, to the buyer the bottom line is all that matters. It is a shame that most likely, on a negotiated deal, the seller is the one most likely getting screwed as the company probably takes their exorbitant fee no matter what and the seller is the only one losing money.