• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Accidently Bought a Timeshare on Ebay

ricknhsv

Reaction score
I got an email from Discount Timeshares asking me to complete the next step of my purchase. I remember looking at the listing but I must have accidently pressed the buy button. Is there anything I can do? I can't check out the details because I am at work.

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Timeshare auctions are not binding on ebay. Simply respond that you are sorry, but it was an accident, and you are not proceeding with the purchase.

ricknhsv

Reaction score
Hey Denise,

I just sent them a message via eBay and back to his email:
=======
I am sorry, but it was an accident, I did not mean to purchase this. I am not proceeding with the purchase.

=======

We will see what they say. I don't know how it happened. I hate to do that do you think I should send them some money for their trouble? It was only a $1 but I would have never used it, Week 46 in Branson, MO.

Rick

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No - Per ebay rules, timeshare purchases are not binding. Costs them nothing to reactivate their Ad.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The seller will most likely send you an auction cancellation request. By accepting the request the seller gets their listing and final value fees back.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I am nor certain any sale, timeshare or not, on eBay is really binding... I have had a number of people win and auction, and then come back claiming it was an accident or even just not pay....

At the end of the day, i just cancel the sale and relist...

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
No - Per ebay rules, timeshare purchases are not binding. Costs them nothing to reactivate their Ad.

A couple of years I had a 3 bedroom in the Florida keys that someone did a buy it now within 2 hours of it being posted. Then in a couple of days she cancelled it and I was out :annoyed:$50.for the cost of that ad and ebay said I could relist it if I paid another :eek:$50.

I did not relist it or have I listed any of my other for sales and for rents on ebay since then.

Bruce :D

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of years I had a 3 bedroom in the Florida keys that someone did a buy it now within 2 hours of it being posted. Then in a couple of days she cancelled it and I was out :annoyed:$50.for the cost of that ad and ebay said I could relist it if I paid another :eek:$50.

This doesn't sound right. Did you file for an Unpaid Item on eBay? Maybe you were in a hurry to relist the item, and that's why you say it would cost another $50. But you should've been able to recover the initial $50 if you did everything properly and the buyer refused to pay.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
This doesn't sound right. Did you file for an Unpaid Item on eBay? Maybe you were in a hurry to relist the item, and that's why you say it would cost another $50. But you should've been able to recover the initial $50 if you did everything properly and the buyer refused to pay.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did what I was told by ebay. The bidder changed her email and phone number after she called me up.
That is now water under the bridge as we sold :whoopie:those 3 ownerships earlier this year. Bruce F. Czajkowski:banana:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are no fees to a seller if a buyer doesnt pay for an item. If a buyer doesnt pay the seller files an Unpaid Item dispute with Ebay. If the buyer pays then of course the sale goes through.

If the buyer doesnt pay and says they made the purchase by mistake or decides not to purchase, the seller can send the buyer an Auction Cancelation Request. If the buyer accepts, all fees to the seller are refunded.

If the buyer doesnt reply to the request or doesnt pay without accepting a Cancelation Request then all fees are refunded to the seller and the buyer receives an Unpaid Item Strike on their Ebay account.

Basically the seller never pays any fees if a buyer doesnt pay for an item.

arlock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Three Points to remember:

1. Ebay Policy is that bids on real estate are not binding.

2. I believe all 50 states plus DC provide that ALL contracts for sales of real estate must be in writing in order to be binding. (if you think about it, what if the purchase agreement had a provision that you were totally not in agreement with....for example, waiving the right to sue the seller for fraud or misrepresentation)

3. Even if you did sign a purchase agreement, there is still a rescission period

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Three Points to remember:

1. Ebay Policy is that bids on real estate are not binding.

2. I believe all 50 states plus DC provide that ALL contracts for sales of real estate must be in writing in order to be binding. (if you think about it, what if the purchase agreement had a provision that you were totally not in agreement with....for example, waiving the right to sue the seller for fraud or misrepresentation)

3. Even if you did sign a purchase agreement, there is still a rescission period

If you offer to pay for the ad top be rerun the seller may go for that so he does not lose that ad money. Bruce F. Czajkowski:D