• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan-Grand Luxxe Exchange Issue

desertdiva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced issues with getting the timeshare you traded at VIDA (exchange of Diamond International pts & purchase for Grand Luxxe ) cancelled. Much chatter on internet regarding people sending funds and original documents to Equity Acquisition Services and not getting their original timeshare documents they traded cancelled along with maintenance fees. The entire reason I purchased at Grand Luxxe was to get out of a more than $5,000 yr maintenance fee with Diamond as my travel plans for retirement years have changed. The Equity Acquisition Services company has the same person for all positions on the board of directors & is not licensed in FL as a title company which in essence is the type of work they are said to be doing. Certainly sounds very suspicious to me. Has anyone had a successful exchange and purchase completed? Please reply ASAP as my "closing date" is early Aug.

[Not a post about the Bulletin Board. Moving to Buying, Selling, Renting -- mg]

Last edited by a moderator:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Too bad you didn't find Tug earlier. DRI has been taking back deeds both points and fixed weeks.

TS especially Mexican timeshares including VIDA have been offering trade ins to overcome objections to buying. In the past they have been quite successful. Like other get out of your TS schemes they would try to offer it back to the developer and if that doesn't work give it to another company that sells on ebay starting at $1. If it doesn't sell they would deed it over to a dummy llc and then bankrupt (Viking Ship company). In the last 3-5 years HOA's have realized that is what is happening and have refused to transfer deeds to these companies. So the bottom line is if they can't find a legitimate new owner from your timeshare you are still the owner. Unless your contract specifically stated that your purchase depended upon the transfer, not just the money-which they really were never getting- than you now own 2 timeshares.

desertdiva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the bad news! Will try to get contract amended to include no funds changing hands until timeshare transfer has taken place. Has anyone been successful dealing directly with VIDA. Any dept. or name to contact? Any advice would be appreciated.

desertdiva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone used Equity Acquisition Service (Grand Mayan) successfully?

Anyone used Equity Acquisition Service (Grand Mayan) successfully for either an exchange to a purchase or for a purchase alone? I investigated this company and the entire board of directors is one individual which is a huge red flag. I'm very leary to send them any funds for a closing. Need advice ASAP as my deadline is beginning of August. Any successful closings? How long before you got any type of ownership documents in Grand Mayan? Many Thanks!

rktect03

Reaction score
Did you go ahead with the EAS transfer? If so, does it seem legit? I'm in the same situation right now. Thanks in advance for the advice!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> TS especially Mexican timeshares including VIDA have been offering trade ins to overcome objections to buying. In the past they have been quite successful. Like other get out of your TS schemes they would try to offer it back to the developer and if that doesn't work give it to another company that sells on ebay starting at $1. If it doesn't sell they would deed it over to a dummy llc and then bankrupt (Viking Ship company). In the last 3-5 years HOA's have realized that is what is happening and have refused to transfer deeds to these companies. So the bottom line is if they can't find a legitimate new owner from your timeshare you are still the owner. Unless your contract specifically stated that your purchase depended upon the transfer, not just the money-which they really were never getting- then you now own 2 timeshares.

All of the above is absolutely true and accurate, to which I will simply add one other course of action sometimes undertaken by (alleged) Mexican "trade-in" recipients of U.S. timeshares --- which is simply taking no action at all and just letting the U.S. foreclosure process take its' own course upon the hapless U.S. resident who (mistakenly) thought that they had already parted company with their U.S. timeshare ownership via "trade in". The Mexican "trade in" paperwork of course means absolutely nothing here in the U.S. unless the Mexican recipient subsequently undertakes the active effort to lawfully change the ownership of the U.S. product in the U.S. via established U.S. process (most commonly, the preparation and recording of a valid new deed in a valid new name, later actually acknowledged and accepted by the U.S. resort).

A few years ago, I acquired (...and since sold off as a no-profit "wash") several decent, consecutive Snowbird weeks in SW FL, although of relatively low market value. Their owner (mistakenly) thought these weeks had been "traded-in" a year or so earlier in Cancun --- until he received the following year's maintenance fee bills from the resort a year later. The trade-in recipient in Mexico had done absolutely nothing with the weeks, apparently content with just banking the money from the Mexican RTU product sale, toward which the "trade-in" had been (..ahem) "applied" (which is just a meaningless smoke and mirrors "paper game" anyhow, of course). We talked at length and at my invitation he researched my credentials to his satisfaction and comfort level. He signed over the weeks to me via a proper new deed and I paid the back maintenance fees and the resort transfer fee and handled the deed prep work and recording myself. He was ecstatic to finally be really "out", legally and conclusively, and I was happy to acquire several consecutive SW FL Snowbird weeks at minimal cost, with little effort. It turned out that we didn't particularly like that particular SW FL area after all and we sold the weeks after just two years of use (sold at no profit, but profit was never our intent or motive in acquiring those weeks in the first place).

Moral: "Be wary of trade-ins of U.S. timeshares in Mexico". What exactly will "traded in" ultimately mean for you later? --- quite possibly nothing at all. :eek:

P.S. I do not claim to know who or what VIDA might be. In my personal experience described above, that particular name never arose.

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Group Mayan, uses the corporation name now VIDA. They are the developer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reincarnation / rebranding?

Group Mayan, uses the corporation name now VIDA. They are the developer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ahh! My above described experience did indeed involve an entity apparently formerly known as Grupo Mayan, so my tale of caution is just further reinforced. Thanks.

Last edited:

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We turned over multiple deeds to Vida when upgrading to Grand Luxxe. It was a different company that they used then, but my persistence in making sure that the transfers took place made the transfers happen.
Good luck.
Guy

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
drguy
What year(s) did you do the trade ins?
My understanding is that up until about 2012 there were very few if any problems with these type of transfers (turning in a non Vida toward a Vida). It also depends on what you are trading in. Many HOA's and developers have put up more hoops to transfer to these types of companies that will, if they can't find a taker simply abandon the property.

therese

TUG Member
Reaction score
same boat

I am also awaiting on Vida to transfer my properties. They have until Dec. 7, 2015. I am still responsible for the next year maintenance fees but after that I am supposed to be relieved of all financial responsibility. We shall see.

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
drguy
What year(s) did you do the trade ins?
My understanding is that up until about 2012 there were very few if any problems with these type of transfers (turning in a non Vida toward a Vida). It also depends on what you are trading in. Many HOA's and developers have put up more hoops to transfer to these types of companies that will, if they can't find a taker simply abandon the property.

It was about that time period. 2012/13. Our resorts were Monarch Grand Points, Worldmark credits and a Pahio Bali Hai week. Mfs of about $8000 per year.