• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Gift of Time 2006"

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received my issue of Shared Times and there was a reference in there indicating that information about the "Gift of Time 2006" was to be on the MVCI web site in early February. I checked and didn't see anything. Does anyone know how it will work this year? Same as last year??

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Same here. Saw the announcement to check the website in "early February" for details. Nothing on the site yet.

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason one could not exchange a gift of time week with SFX? I remember some people were not able to deposit and exchange those weeks with II.

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You were able to exchange them. You just could not split lockoffs. You also could not rent them. Using them for exchange with II is acceptable.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree, except that I believe the only rental restriction last year was that you couldn't list a rental with Marriott. However, you could rent it yourself, on Redweek, etc.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Marriott sells the use of week 53 in those years when it occurs. For this year, generally, it will be weeks that start on Sunday, December 31. You can see whether your resort has a week 53 for a particular year by looking at the bottom of the calendar for that resort located on the MVCI website.

None of us own week 53. Marriott reserves such weeks for its own use and typically sells them.

Until 2005, Marriott put them on sale to all owners at the same time. That created a nightmare as many, many people were not able to get through to Marriott on the morning we could first purchase the use of such a week. In 2005, Marriott offered such weeks first to those who owned a significant number of weeks, made frequent referrals or in some other way were considered one of Marriott's best timeshare customers. As the year went on, Marriott offered unclaimed weeks to more and more timeshare owners until all owners ultimately had a chance to get a week.

In prior years, an owner could purchase a week at his/her home resort. In 2005, owners were not limited to purchasing at their own resorts. In prior years, the cost for a week was typically equal to one year's MFs at the resort. In 2005, the cost for a week was typically several hundred dollars higher.

Thus, the "gift of time" is the opportunity to use (for a fee) a week in addition to what you own.

And now, we're waiting to see what form the 2006 program will take.

Last edited:

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave,
Are you sure that week 53 this year will be Dec. 31st? I would have thought it would be the 17th like the last 2 years.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Week 53 starts on the 31st. Whether Marriott will sell that week or some other week might depend on the particular resort, as it did in 2005 and 2004. As examples, for Custom House, it was the week that started on December 31 which Marriott sold in 2004. And for Grande Ocean, it was the same for both 2004 and 2005.

However, I wasn't speculating on which week would be sold; only trying to explain how the program works. I'll wait to see what Marriott announces. I don't have any advance info.

Thanks for the additional info. It's true that Marriott took possession of a variety of weeks in place of week 53 and sold them, depending on its rights under the CC&Rs for each resort.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Looking at the resort calendars (for the three that I own anyway), you can tell whether week 52 or 53 or some other week for those years w/53 weeks is being held by Marriott. For example, at both the the Grand Chateau and the Aruba Surf Club, it's the owner that has access to week 53. As I own that week at GC, that was also something I confirmed prior to entering into contract. At Shadow Ridge, it's Marriott's week.

Ingrid

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction, Ingrid.

Yes, it appears that where there is a Platinum Plus/Holiday or similarly designated week at the end of the year for a resort, Marriott sometimes designates week 53 as that week.

I hadn't noticed that!

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of Mountainside. The past 2 years they sold the week of Dec. 17th thru 24th as week 53 since Christmas and New Years are sold as fixed weeks.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Personally I think Marriott did their homework on Week 53 for last year and hope they realize it was much better than the horror story of the previous time, which turned off a great many owners. It was probably more work for Marriott to get them distributed in 2005, but, like any progressive company, I believe Marriott is anxious to work with their best customers and satisfy them first from top to bottom - a much fairer system than a lottery.

I didn't take advantage of the week 53 this year as I already had taken about 3 months in holidays in 2005 and couldn't afford more time away from my businesses. Many people did, and I heard very few complaints this year. In fact, I saw a lot of them for sale on Ebay and on TUG classifieds so some decided it was a way to make a few extra bucks.

Brian

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I thought it had some problems. I would have taken advantage of it had I been able to plan for it. By the time the offer trickled down to me it was mid-August and there was no way to get decent airfare to anyplace I wanted to go. I also felt there were some reported inconsistencies in the order of the offering. I hope they roll it out much sooner this year to allow owners that want to use the week enough time to plan a vacation.

tsl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Week 53 fair system of distribution??

pwrshift said:
Personally I think Marriott did their homework on Week 53 for last year and hope they realize it was much better than the horror story of the previous time, which turned off a great many owners. It was probably more work for Marriott to get them distributed in 2005, but, like any progressive company, I believe Marriott is anxious to work with their best customers and satisfy them first from top to bottom - a much fairer system than a lottery.

Brian

I contacted Marriott b/c I never received any notification of last years' offering. I figured since we own 2 weeks (both of which we purchased from Marriott rather than resale), surely we would get some notification. When I asked how the weeks were distributed, here is the response:

"At the beginning of 2005, week 53 weeks were only offered to a select
group of owners based on the number of weeks they owned, the number of
referrals they gave and the number of their referrals who purchased."

So basically, you really have to market Marriott to your friends and family, encourage them to buy from Marriott rather than resale, be successful and then you become a "select" owner. I am not sure I agree that this is more fair. How about a system that allows owners who really want to use the week personally and didn't get one the last two years have a chance?

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Careful, you are trying to introduce logic and fairness into a system that is driven only by profitability.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
tsl said:
I never received any notification of last years' offering.
When the weeks were eventually offered to all owners (August or September?), it was announced in Shared Times. If you don't receive that occasional publication (there was one mailed about two weeks ago), you should call Owner Services and get on the list.

The availability to all was also announced to all on the MVCI website. It's worth checking that site occasionally for all sorts of announcements. For example, there is currently a clarification of the reservation policy on the site that would answer many questions often posed here.

Lastly, the Gift of Time program was discussed on this forum in great detail. When the weeks became available to all, there were a couple of threads on this forum discussing various aspects of the program, including the cost of weeks, which weeks were or weren't available, etc. So visit this forum often.

ArBravesFan

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave M said:
Marriott sells the use of week 53 in those years when it occurs. For this year, generally, it will be weeks that start on Sunday, December 31. You can see whether your resort has a week 53 for a particular year by looking at the bottom of the calendar for that resort located on the MVCI website.

All three of my Marriott resorts list a week 53 in 2006 for Sunday check-in. Question: Wouldn't ALL Marriotts do the same?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No. Custom House, which has only Friday check-ins, won't have a week 53 this year.

Also, as mentioned earlier, some resorts have fixed Platinum weeks starting on Sunday, December 31. At those resorts, the week Marriott will sell will be a different week.

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Message from Vacation Advisor

In regards to my question about the 2006 Gift of Time here is the response:

"Invitations have not been sent out for the 2006 Gift of Time yet. I do not have an expected release date. There will be a similar procedure to last year, sending invitations in phases based on the number of weeks owned. Invitations will be sent via email and will contain a link to make the reservation online."

Jan

lovearuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased the gift of time

I was one of those people who got an early email on the gift of time in 2005 but I did not take advantage of it until late October when it was on their website. I had referred someone who purchased two weeks in 2005 so I assume that is why I got the early offer. I only own one timeshare, its a 2 bedroom at the Marriott aruba ocean club.

I bought the gift of time for $850 (I think) and it was for a Florida Ocean Point 2 bedroom, Marriott deposited it into my interval account and last week I traded it to the marriott newport coast 2 bedroom in August. For me, I think it was worthwhile.

I thought I would share my experience in the event someone else is edgy about taking advantage of the offer like I was. I have to say it pulled a lot of good resorts when I attempted different searches on interval

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lovearuba's story is what lead me to say it was very inequitable. I own 4 week with 2 Plat Plus and 2 Plat with purchase prices totaling over 125K. However, I have rarely referred people. I referred one person in the past 5 years and he purchased an OF Plat at Barony.

I got my letter in August a couple of weeks before it hit the web site. It is clear to me that Marriott is only interested in rewarding people who are sending new customers.

tsl

TUG Member
Reaction score
floyddl said:
Lovearuba's story is what lead me to say it was very inequitable. I own 4 week with 2 Plat Plus and 2 Plat with purchase prices totaling over 125K. However, I have rarely referred people. I referred one person in the past 5 years and he purchased an OF Plat at Barony.

I got my letter in August a couple of weeks before it hit the web site. It is clear to me that Marriott is only interested in rewarding people who are sending new customers.

I totally agree. It burns me up that I am paying a special assessment right now on Kauai, yet others who "sell" Marriott property are given preference in front of me at Kauai?? There are a lot of resorts in the system that a week 53 would not be a good trader---like my Spain week. So if you are a timeshare salesman, you get access to the better weeks that you don't own?