• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

good deal??

tnsna

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie here and Have owned a HGVC in Vegas since 98 at Karen Ave.. I pay over $1000 every year for 5000 pts gold. I am looking to add points. what do you guys think of this deal??

Its 3400 points every year at HGVC on Strip

Purchase Price $ 2000
Closing Cost $ 495
Transfer Fee $399.00
HGVC Club Dues $140.00
Estoppel Fee $35.00
HGVC Club Activation Fee $250.00
Total Purchase Price $2319

The maintenance fees are $541.96 and taxes are $18.53.

Why shouldn't I just buy 2 of these and sell my property on Karen Ave?? Maint. fees would be about the same but I would get 2000 more points!!

Is there any advantage to owning from developer rather than secondary market??

Thanks

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get a 3400 contract for a lot less than $2K. There's a free one in the forums right now.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I avoid small point weeks. First you need to purchase 2 deeds and pay to closing fees. Second, usually the cost per Hgvc point is higher because MF tends to be about the same even though the larger unit or better season unit has more points. Next if you all ready own at HGVC you don't pay a second membership, or second annual club fee, you only pay $399 one time club fee. If you purchase a 5,000 pt week or even 8,400 it still costs you only $399 to enroll the club into HGVC so go for a higher point unit and go for annual.

I don't follow HGVC in Vegas so I don't know if your maintenance fee amount is annual or just in the year of use but since you all ready own 5,000 points compute the cost per point of mf/amt of pts.

As to the location of your unit, I am not thrilled being located in the parking lot of the previous Hilton which is now owned and operated by the previous Westgate TS bum. The location is too far away as compared to the Hilton Flamingo, but if you are just acquiring HGVC points and the selling price is less than it is up to you.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Remember that the MF's are assessed for each unit by the # of BR's (type), not the total points you own. That means that, if you buy a better season to get more points for the same size unit, you'll pay less MF$/per point. Also, you pay MF's for each unit you buy. Thus, if you were to substitute two 2-BR's for one 2-BR, you'd pay close to 2x the MF. Lastly, low-point packages are not very marketable. You could have a tuff time unloading them, if you ever tried to sell.

tnsna

TUG Member
Reaction score
buy back

You can get a 3400 contract for a lot less than $2K. There's a free one in the forums right now.

Doesn't Hilton buy back anything that people try and sell really cheap??

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I am a newbie here and Have owned a HGVC in Vegas since 98 at Karen Ave.. I pay over $1000 every year for 5000 pts gold. I am looking to add points. what do you guys think of this deal??

Its 3400 points every year at HGVC on Strip

Purchase Price $ 2000
Closing Cost $ 495
Transfer Fee $399.00
HGVC Club Dues $140.00
Estoppel Fee $35.00
HGVC Club Activation Fee $250.00
Total Purchase Price $2319

The maintenance fees are $541.96 and taxes are $18.53.

Why shouldn't I just buy 2 of these and sell my property on Karen Ave?? Maint. fees would be about the same but I would get 2000 more points!!

Is there any advantage to owning from developer rather than secondary market??

Thanks
Questions & Comments:

1. $2000 seems a high for 3400 points. You can pick them up on eBay for under $500. Low HGVC demand for 3400 points = low chance of ROFR. In fact, I've seen a Flamingo, no ROFR, sell for about $500.

2. Closing costs could be lower, especially if you found a FSBO and did it your self thru JRA Services or similar.

3. You stated that you already own a HGVC TS, so why do you have to pay $140 for club dues?

4. Why the "HGVC Club Activation Fee"? Karen is not an affiliate, it's a true HGVC.

5. Why do you have to pay $35 for an estoppel?

Last edited:

tnsna

TUG Member
Reaction score
Questions & Comments:

$2000 seems a little high, but not much.

Closing costs could be lower, especially if you found a FSBO and did it your self thru JRA Services or similar.

You stated that you already own a HGVC TS, so why do you have to pay $140 for club dues?

Why the "HGVC Club Activation Fee"? Karen is not an affiliate, it's a true HGVC.

Why do you have to pay $35 for an estoppel?

This is just the quote I received from Judy Koz. I am now looking at a Karen ave property that's 5000 points and $3900 annual. Thank you for your response!!!

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good luck on your search for another hgvc unit. I just bought a unit and am excited to use the system. You will find the right fitting unit.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Questions & Comments:

5. Why do you have to pay $35 for an estoppel?

You don't have to get an estoppel.

But if you want HGVC to verify that the unit really comes with 3400 points, that the unit is an annual use (or eoy, if that's what you are trying to buy), and that your seller is current on paying MF's, it is worth the $35.

I don't buy title insurance on purchases of less than $10,000, but I would never buy without an estoppel.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
You don't have to get an estoppel.

But if you want HGVC to verify that the unit really comes with 3400 points, that the unit is an annual use (or eoy, if that's what you are trying to buy), and that your seller is current on paying MF's, it is worth the $35.

I don't buy title insurance on purchases of less than $10,000, but I would never buy without an estoppel.
I've always gotten an estoppel, which I also think is required to verify the TS, but I don't recall ever paying for it. When your going thru a closing company, it's usually part of what you paid for. When I get some time I'll check my HGVC that was closed thru JRA Serviices, Janet. :shrug:

tnsna

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you

Thanks again for all of your responses.

just watched a Sea World unit sell 10000pts every year for $5100 on ebay.....any chance it clears ROFR?? Maint $1600

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all of your responses.

just watched a Sea World unit sell 10000pts every year for $5100 on ebay.....any chance it clears ROFR?? Maint $1600

This is actually two 5000 pts packages. So you would get two x 2BR units. HGVC don't have 10.000 pts.

In my opinion it's not that good of a deal.

/regards.

tnsna

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is actually two 5000 pts packages. So you would get two x 2BR units. HGVC don't have 10.000 pts.

/regards.

No disrespect......but are you saying that the Maint. fees would be $1600 per unit?? To me......$1600 in Maint fees for 10,000 HGVC points seems better than the $1000 I pay in Maint. fees for 5, 000 now. I am just trying to figure this out......Thanks!!!

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC

/regards.

Well, two 5,000 pt packages for $5,100 is a VERY good deal. That comes out to $2,550 per 2BR unit. If it passes ROFR, you got a good deal if you're ok with having 2 2BR units.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I was watching that as well. It is two 5000 point units, so will result in two MF as well.

Based on the 2015 MF thread, i think this will be approx 1800 per year for the two units.

tnsna

TUG Member
Reaction score
not terrible

Not terrible maint fee.......is it??

$1800 for 10,000 points

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
No disrespect......but are you saying that the Maint. fees would be $1600 per unit?? To me......$1600 in Maint fees for 10,000 HGVC points seems better than the $1000 I pay in Maint. fees for 5, 000 now. I am just trying to figure this out......Thanks!!!

Hi

The MF would be either the 1600 or 1800 in total for the two units. IMHO you would be able to buy two units a the strip or at Anderson for cheaper MF. The initial buyin may be higher but currently I think most will pass ROFR.

I have a theory that HGVC budget for ROFR is mostly used up, but I could be wrong.

/regards

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
The MF is not bad for the points. As Cyberc pointed out, the Vegas properties typically have the lowest MF in the system, so two Gold weeks at the Strip location would have slightly lower annual MF.

An alternate view, would be to consider that they combined MF of $1800 is close to what you will pay for some of the Hawaiian resorts, with more than 10K annual points.. Of course those resort will have a much higher sales prices, so its not exactly an apples to apples financial comparison..

As for ROFR, i don't know how active they using this in Florida, but this was a fantastic sales price, so lots of profit potential for HGVC if they do buy it back to resale from their inventory.