• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Weeks - Exchange or Extra Vacation - at what point?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
At what point do you make the call to purchase and Extra Vacation instead of an exchange.

Example: I am looking at a week. Exchange would cost 14 TPUs plus exchange fee. Extra Vacation cost $384 plus taxes = $415.

I'm going to purchase the extra vacation. For about $200 more, I get to keep 14 TPUS to trade.

What are your thoughts? At what point to you pull the trigger and buy the EV instead of exchanging?

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
Remember to include the mf fees on that 14 tpu deposit. Divide your mf by the total tpu of the deposit. This will give you the cost per tpu, then multiply that by 14. This is the true cost of the exchange. If it is more than $415.00, the extra vacation is cheaper.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Also if you need to cancel for any reason, Extra Vacations has a different refund policy... you can get a partial refund up to 2 weeks from check-in.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I find a desirable vacation in EV's or Last Call that doesn't require an exchange fee and I get to keep my points (or TPU) for other purposes, I'm going for the cash rental.

Jim

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At what point do you make the call to purchase and Extra Vacation instead of an exchange.

Example: I am looking at a week. Exchange would cost 14 TPUs plus exchange fee. Extra Vacation cost $384 plus taxes = $415.

I'm going to purchase the extra vacation. For about $200 more, I get to keep 14 TPUS to trade.

What are your thoughts? At what point to you pull the trigger and buy the EV instead of exchanging?

With a 10-16 you might want to wait until the trading power slashed sale starts depending on the dates you are looking at. Another one starts tomorrow and unlike the last few that only went to March, this one goes to May. Trading power is lowered to 3-6 tpu's. I am more likely to use an exchange if I have an exact leftover sitting around that covers what I need.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
With a 10-16 you might want to wait until the trading power slashed sale starts depending on the dates you are looking at. Another one starts tomorrow and unlike the last few that only went to March, this one goes to May. Trading power is lowered to 3-6 tpu's. I am more likely to use an exchange if I have an exact leftover sitting around that covers what I need.

Yeah...I have been for about a month now. Looking at a week that is definitely shoulder season in New Hampshire. All the other NH resorts slashed the TPUs over the last couple sales except for this particular resort.

Still going to look tomorrow thought!

But, even at 5 TPUS......I would still wonder if it would be worth it to just buy the EV.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
I had the same situation. I waited for the most recent sale and got the unit size, date and location for 5 tpu's. The same location and date was available, but not the size. Had I been able to, the ev would have been ~$25.00 cheaper. The other factor you have to weigh is when will your deposit expire and do you have any other trips planned. In my case I opted for the exchange, I still have 5 tpu's left that expire in March 2016. I can use the same way in 2016 because I go to the Berkshire's every winter to ski.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Is $40 per TPU about right? :ponder:

This depends on what you own.
Mine average around $10 per TPU but I do a lot of exchanging and own a cheap unit just for trading.

My regular units that I don't deposit to exchange would only get 30 TPU's for $600 or $20 a TPU but RCI will never see these units since I always use them. :)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Across the system $30-$45 per tpu is probably "average" for RCI but at that cost it makes exchanges quite expensive. Tuggers probably have a lower average. If you use a unit primarily for exchange in RCI then you should probably try to dispose of ones in the average or above range and look for something more efficient. If it is something that is not easily disposed of but you still need to exchange it (because you don't want to stay there at that time) then you might want to seriously consider other exchange companies. If you primarily use the week and only occasionally deposit and exchange it doesn't matter so much.

jmpellet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Across the system $30-$45 per tpu is probably "average" for RCI but at that cost it makes exchanges quite expensive. Tuggers probably have a lower average. If you use a unit primarily for exchange in RCI then you should probably try to dispose of ones in the average or above range and look for something more efficient. If it is something that is not easily disposed of but you still need to exchange it (because you don't want to stay there at that time) then you might want to seriously consider other exchange companies. If you primarily use the week and only occasionally deposit and exchange it doesn't matter so much.

I only exchange and my most recent cost per TPU was $12.58; it was closer to $10 a couple years back but my TPU went from 36 to 29 recently...

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you can get your tpu's to $10-$15 or even less, than exchanging through RCI is still a good deal (even with the high exchange fees).

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking at buying a discounted extra vacation week in a resort we stayed at twice, 6 and 10 years ago, and were very disappointed with the last visit. It is the only RCI resort in a location we wish to go next spring, and at the sale price for the week, we've decided we can live with it for a week if it is no worse than we last experienced.
Once a dozen years ago, we exchanged to a New England resort that was in Chapter 11, and was in a sorry state. A call to RCI quickly got us relocated, literally just down the road, in very acceptable accommodation. Reviews and pics at the time didn't give us any clues as to the state of that resort.
But that was a long time ago...how does RCI respond to those who buy an extra vacation week who may be completely unhappy with the state of repair, cleanliness and stocking of the unit they are assigned. Reading the user reviews would suggest beware, but we know the resort and the area well and are willing to take a chance.

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
(Total MF / Total TPU) x 14 + Exchange Fee

If the above is more than $415, go for the EV.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
I am new to RCI and I have a couple of easy questions..

1- On "extra vacations getaways". There are no extra exchange fees, correct?

2- On "last call". There are extra exchange fees? Fees are $244.. $269...$294

3- On exchanges there is an exchange fee? Fee is $209. Correct

Thank you for your help.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am new to RCI and I have a couple of easy questions..

1- On "extra vacations getaways". There are no extra exchange fees, correct?

2- On "last call". There are extra exchange fees? Fees are $244.. $269...$294

3- On exchanges there is an exchange fee? Fee is $209. Correct

Thank you for your help.

1. An Extra Vacation getaway is a straight rental. There is often taxes added to the price. They will show up before you put in CC info. No points or deposits required.

2. Last Call's are also rentals. The are usually 60 days or less from check in. Again sometimes taxes would also apply. You don't use any points or deposits.

3, The online exchange fee is $209 plus the required deposit points.

All may have additional resort fees or all inclusive fees or housekeeping fees or other fees payable upon check in. Mandatory fees should be revealed at the important advisement page. Make sure you check. Non mandatory fees such as internet or parking or other special amenities may apply. You can usually call the resort if you want to know.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Thank you!

lucillec

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand the tpu cost..and when it is better to take an extra vacation..can you please explain further?

philiclese

Reaction score
Guess this is as good a thread to post this question as any: RCI has an "endless vacations rentals" area where nonmembers (non TS owners) can rent for cash. Im seeing $500 bucks and up for 1BR. Not bad compared to hotels, but is it worth me buying a cheap TS (someone elsewhere suggested a cheap triennial) just for RCI access since the last minute vacations are so cheap? (I would pay cash for most since I wont get much exchange value out of a cheap triennial). Are there other advantages- perhaps same resorts show up earlier and cheaper for members on last minute deals, or can book them further out vs. the straight non-member rentals deals?

Any comments on dog-friendliness also appreciated...how much would it limit me? 50% resorts allow or less? Extra cleaning fees? Thanks.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My guess is less than 5% allow pets. The cleaning fee at the ones that do would be around $100-$200 for the week.

Renting without owning sounds like it would be a better fit for you.

philiclese

Reaction score
Thanks...I dont have a dog currently, but that is a consideration. I assume you are saying renting is a better fit for me due to dog issue? Any opinion on the RCI Endless vacation rentals vs. what the RCI full members get as last minute deals?

travelplus

Reaction score
Would the Extra Vacation circumvent the Every 3 year period whereby you can't exchange again into certain resorts until 3 years? If so this is a great way to stay more at these resorts.

philiclese

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if your question was directed at me, but if so I'm a rookie so not sure. I did read about limitations on exchanging into a resort you own time in, but I cant imagine they would turn away a cash paying renter. But not sure.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Would the Extra Vacation circumvent the Every 3 year period whereby you can't exchange again into certain resorts until 3 years? If so this is a great way to stay more at these resorts.
This may not apply to all resorts, but in most cases RCI's 1-in-3 of 1-in-4 rules don't apply to rentals (Last Calls and Extra Vacations)

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks...I dont have a dog currently, but that is a consideration. I assume you are saying renting is a better fit for me due to dog issue? Any opinion on the RCI Endless vacation rentals vs. what the RCI full members get as last minute deals?
Members get access to Extra Vacations further out... not just last minute availability. The last minute availability for members (Last Calls) are cheaper... I think the max price is $309 for the week.