• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you need US passport to exit St.Thomas

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be flying into St.Thomas from Miami, and wanted to verify that US passport are NOT needed to enter/exit St.thomas. We are not planning on going to BVI. Is US issued Drivers licence good enough? Thanks in advance.

I read in some blog that there is a separate exit line in STT for US passport holders. Is that correct?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It is correct that a Passport is not required - but I would strongly suggest a passport if there is even a hint of potential issue(s). Note the use of the word 'and' below… (incorrect, but shows grey area and confusion). Google "do I need a passport for USVI" and all sites will tell you that a passport is not required, but also all of them suggest to have one.

Having a US Drivers License will likely not be a problem, but why raise the potential complication when dealing with TSA/Custom/Immigration? All you need is one newbie, or one with a power-trip, or just having a bad day. Why add the potential hassle for you/family, and the people behind you in line. In today's age - a Passport is a basic document that is used with minimal questions.

I have never noticed a separate line at STT for US passport holders - everyone goes thru the same hot/humid and slow line. Perhaps PR?

DO I NEED A PASSPORT TO VISIT THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS?
If you are a U.S. citizen a passport is not required, but it still serves as the best identification when traveling. Otherwise, you must be prepared to show evidence of citizenship when departing the islands, such as a raised-seal birth certificate and government-issued photo ID.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, then a passport issued by your country of origin is required.

If you are not sure of your status, please contact the U.S Customs & Border Protection agency. (www.cbp.gov)

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
If you don't have a passport I would not get one for that trip. Just make sure you have other forms of identification.

If you have one, take it with you.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
We will be flying into St.Thomas from Miami, and wanted to verify that US passport are NOT needed to enter/exit St.thomas. We are not planning on going to BVI. Is US issued Drivers licence good enough? Thanks in advance.

I read in some blog that there is a separate exit line in STT for US passport holders. Is that correct?
No passport required, as long as you are a US citizen and can prove it with a drivers license or birth certificate. The passport will make getting back into the US easier: after waiting in one of the long lines, just show your passport & your completed customs declaration form. The passport will be required if you want to visit the British Virgin Islands while you are on your trip.

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/passports-for-travel-to-us-territories.html

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having a passport is simply a rite of passage for those of us who want to travel. Then, of course, there is the freedom to simply go where we want without restriction, or the possibility that, on one's trip to USVI, there is a mechanical problem with a plane or boat that forces one to set foot on some non- U.S. territory.

Small price to pay for the privileges it allows and the peace of mind having one gives.

Jim

persia

Reaction score
You quite possibly may wish to go to Tortola or Virgin Gorda on your trip, why risk not having a passport?

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the response

I do have the passports, that are expiring in January, and will take them anyways....

thanks everyone.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
If you do plan to visit another country, keep in mind that some countries won't accept passports expiring within 2 months. I just renewed mine (expiring in Feb 2015) for a trip next month. Better safe than sorry.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do plan to visit another country, keep in mind that some countries won't accept passports expiring within 2 months. I just renewed mine (expiring in Feb 2015) for a trip next month. Better safe than sorry.

The OP is concerned about returning to the US. I firmly believe a citizen can re-enter the US today on a US passport that expires tomorrow. Just don't try it the day after.

Jim

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The OP is concerned about returning to the US. I firmly believe a citizen can re-enter the US today on a US passport that expires tomorrow. Just don't try it the day after.

Jim

You are right I'm sure, and to take it a step further, a citizen can get back in even if they've lost their passport, by providing other positive identification.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think that having a driver's license is proof of citizenship. However, Puerto Rico is a US territory so you only need proof of identity.
And proof of identity is all that is required for the USVI, Puerto Rico, and Guam, but I still wouldn't chance it without a current passport.

NOTE: This "should" also hold true for the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, the Marshall Islands, Palau, and the Federated States of Micronesia (may only be UN territory not US). All of the proceeding are also territories of the USA. :D

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think that having a driver's license is proof of citizenship. However, Puerto Rico is a US territory so you only need proof of identity.

Correct.

And proof of identity is all that is required for USVI, Puerto Rico, and Guam, but I still wouldn't chance it without a current passport.

U.S. citizens do not need to carry any papers identifying them as citizens.

You are not taking any "chance" by traveling to any of these places without a passport.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Correct.

U.S. citizens do not need to carry any papers identifying them as citizens.

You are not taking any "chance" by traveling to any of these places without a passport.
Not true. They won't let you on the airplane (Homeland Security and airline gate attendant) nor will you make it thru US Customs without identification.

So technically yes, while in/on the continental 48 US states you don't need to carry proof of identity (if your not flying, driving an automobile, or a bunch of other circumstances), just don't leave home without it, otherwise you may not get back into the country (USA), even if it's from a US territory or possession. :wall:

An by the way, per the US Immigration Service:

"
Identification when applying for a job

Every employer in the United States must verify that each newly hired employee can be legally employed in the United States. A U.S. citizen may show a variety of evidence to meet this requirement:

U.S. passport;
U.S. birth certificate along with a government-issued photo identification document.
"

So if you don't want to carry papers or prove citizenship, you better not ever apply for a job. :ponder:

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not true. They won't let you on the airplane (Homeland Security and airline gate attendant) nor will you make it thru US Customs without identification.

So technically yes, while in/on the continental 48 US states you don't need to carry proof of identity (if your not flying, driving an automobile, or a bunch of other circumstances), just don't leave home without it, otherwise you may not get back into the country (USA), even if it's from a US territory or possession. :wall:

An by the way, per the US Immigration Service:

"
Identification when applying for a job

Every employer in the United States must verify that each newly hired employee can be legally employed in the United States. A U.S. citizen may show a variety of evidence to meet this requirement:

U.S. passport;
U.S. birth certificate along with a government-issued photo identification document.
"

So if you don't want to carry papers or prove citizenship, you better not ever apply for a job. :ponder:

I think you mis-read my post. I said "U.S. citizens do not need to carry any papers identifying them as citizens." My drivers license does not mention my citizenship, just my residence at the time it was issued.

Carrying identification to fly is different than carrying proof of citizenship. When I apply for a job I take the necessary documents with me. I do not carry them with me at all times.

We are both saying the same thing but I was just pointing out to others reading this post that a passport or other proof of citizenship, is not necessary to visit the places you mentioned.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you mis-read my post. I said "U.S. citizens do not need to carry any papers identifying them as citizens." My drivers license does not mention my citizenship, just my residence at the time it was issued.

Carrying identification to fly is different than carrying proof of citizenship. When I apply for a job I take the necessary documents with me. I do not carry them with me at all times.

We are both saying the same thing but I was just pointing out to others reading this post that a passport or other proof of citizenship, is not necessary to visit the places you mentioned.
No, I didn't misread your post.

The OP's original post and the title of this thread is "Do you need US passport to exit St.Thomas".

You specifically stated "U.S. citizens do not need to carry any papers identifying them as citizens.", which is an untrue statement.

To enter or exit the USVI, you need a passport, drivers license, or birth certificate. Upon exiting the USVI, keeping the title of this thread in perspective, if asked for your proof of US citizenship, you must provide one of the three aforementioned documents. You may disagree with me, but you are not going to get very far (jail?) arguing with Homeland Security, it's the law.

Read about the Real ID Act:

http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

The same goes for Customs, you must show proof of US citizenship, which can be a passport, drivers license, or birth certificate, all in accordance with the law: the Real ID ACT.

This thread has nothing to do with being asked to show your ID while standing on a street corner in Wyoming. You can not treat reentering the US from another country, including USVI and Puerto Rico, as if your standing on that US street corner: you are not. Even after your plane lands, you haven't officially re-entered the country (US), until after you've cleared customs, meaning you have to show proof of citizenship: your still not on your favorite street corner yet.

So, to state "U.S. citizens do not need to carry any papers identifying them as citizens.", is wrong.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, I didn't misread your post.

The OP's original post and the title of this thread is "Do you need US passport to exit St.Thomas".

You specifically stated "U.S. citizens do not need to carry any papers identifying them as citizens.", which is an untrue statement.

To enter or exit the USVI, you need a passport, drivers license, or birth certificate. Upon exiting the USVI, keeping the title of this thread in perspective, if asked for your proof of US citizenship, you must provide one of the three aforementioned documents. You may disagree with me, but you are not going to get very far (jail?) arguing with Homeland Security, it's the law.

Read about the Real ID Act:

http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

The same goes for Customs, you must show proof of US citizenship, which can be a passport, drivers license, or birth certificate, all in accordance with the law: the Real ID ACT.

This thread has nothing to do with being asked to show your ID while standing on a street corner in Wyoming. You can not treat reentering the US from another country, including USVI and Puerto Rico, as if your standing on that US street corner: you are not. Even after your plane lands, you haven't officially re-entered the country (US), until after you've cleared customs, meaning you have to show proof of citizenship: your still not on your favorite street corner yet.

So, to state "U.S. citizens do not need to carry any papers identifying them as citizens.", is wrong.

I guess I have to disagree with you one more time. A drivers license will get me into and out of US territories like the USVI. A drivers license does not show your citizenship so again, a US citizen does not need to show citizenship papers when traveling to these places. Walking around in PR is no different than walking around Fla, It's part of the US.

Try to go back and forth to Canada with just a DL and it will cause you some delays and possible problems, in that case a passport is best.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To go into Canada you need a passport, an enhanced driver's license or a nexus card.

Those are the rules to get back to the US from Canada but there are exceptions. I go to Canada and lose my passport I will still get back home with just my DL but it will definitely be after some delay. As a citizen I will be allowed back in after I can somehow prove or convince the crossing official of my citizenship.

It's never happened to me (yet) but I've read stories from others who have had it happen.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
One of the travel websites recommended taking a photo of your passport and keeping it on your phone, in case you lose it.

Secure it, of course.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are the rules to get back to the US from Canada but there are exceptions. I go to Canada and lose my passport I will still get back home with just my DL but it will definitely be after some delay. As a citizen I will be allowed back in after I can somehow prove or convince the crossing official of my citizenship.

It's never happened to me (yet) but I've read stories from others who have had it happen.

Living on the Canadian border we often go to Canada for dinner. As I cross the border into Canada they ask me for one of those documents. We actually have Nexus card so we swipe them.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
One of the travel websites recommended taking a photo of your passport and keeping it on your phone, in case you lose it.

Secure it, of course.

I do this.

Back to the OP - the point is that you do not need a passport to renter the states from STT (as long as you have acceptable documents) - but why raise a potential issue in a hot/humid, and often long line, with others waiting behind you? I have waited in this line for up to 60 mins - it sucks, and there is only one fan for 100s of people in a snaking line.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Living on the Canadian border we often go to Canada for dinner. As I cross the border into Canada they ask me for one of those documents. We actually have Nexus card so we swipe them.

I have not crossed into Canada for a while. I was never asked for any of those when I did but I do carry the passport to make it easier to get back home. The rules keep changing.