• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Venice to ban wheeled suitcases

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Either way, Venice is NOT conducive to rolling suitcases. Vaporettos & water taxi's & Traghettos, steps over bridges, cobblestone walks, very narrow walkways/doorways.
Bags with backpack straps are FAR better.

Jim

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Either way, Venice is NOT conducive to rolling suitcases. Vaporettos & water taxi's & Traghettos, steps over bridges, cobblestone walks, very narrow walkways/doorways.
Bags with backpack straps are FAR better.

Jim
Totally disagree. Spent 5 days in Venice this last May, before our 7-nite Eastern Caribbean cruise to Greece (Royal Caribbean, Splendour of the Seas), followed by a week in Rome. Although the DW had a small carry-on and I used my backpack as a personal carry-on, we did check-in a roll-up garment bag (cruise ship stuff), along with a large 50 lb baggage filled hard-shell, spinner, Samsonite suitcase "with wheels". The only trouble we had was getting it, our other baggage, and my wife, off the water taxi from the airport at the tiny staircase at the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice, no dock.

I placed the roll-up garment bag on-top of the wheeled suitcase and it was a life saver, just push and go.

Don't know if you ever switched planes in Rome from the International terminal over to Domestic, but it is a long walk.

Don't know if you ever carried baggage from the Venice cruise ship terminal and Piazzale Roma over to the train station, but it is a long walk. Granted it was a pain getting the suitcase up the bridge without a ramp, but the wheels were a life saver.

Don't know if you've ever been to Europe for 3 weeks combined with a cruise for 7 nites, but you can't make with just a backpack as you stated: wheeled suitcases are a necessity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Don't know if you've ever been to Europe for 3 weeks combined with a cruise for 7 nites, but you can't make with just a backpack as you stated: wheeled suitcases are a necessity.

What did we ever do before wheeled suitcases? Of course they're not a necessity, they may be handy but not a necessity.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron, I have done all you suggest, and never said it was impossible. Just that the architectural barriers in Venice are NOT conducive to wheeled bags. You can easily avoid the bridge between Piazzalli Roma and the train station by using he vaporetto. The Vaporetto docks are pretty level with the boats for rolling aboard, but at 'rush' hour' all the commuters crowd the entry/exit areas of the vaporetto.

I feel for people who feel a need to bring along everything but the kitchen sink. I can go anywhere in the world with a carry-on size bag with backpack straps and stay indefinitely. Including formal nights on a cruise.

Jim

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
What did we ever do before wheeled suitcases? Of course they're not a necessity, they may be handy but not a necessity.
No, No, I need (want) mine :crash:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
It was tough!

We have pulled our wheeled suitcases from Victoria Station to our hotel in Belgrave, in London, from our rental apartment near Ponte Vecchio to the train station in Florence and, most recently, from St. Lucia in Venice to the Best Western Olympia, from there to the People Mover and then a long haul to the Celebrity Silhouette.

London was the 'smoothest' trek, but my arms were aching dragging @50 lbs behind me and @20 on my back. Florence's cobbles, curbs and narrow streets were a challenge and we'd have opted for a cab had we found one- we were traveling a tad lighter than the London trip.

The most difficult was Venice. The Calatrava bridge should have been built with wheeled luggage in mind, but that was the least difficult of the bridges we had to cross to get to the Olimpia! And DH & I were traveling with a woman friend who isn't in good shape, so he & I took turns schlepping her bag.
She didn't cruise with us and paid many euros for a porter to take her bags to Piazzale Roma where she took a cab to the airport.

It's not easy even with wheels!