• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Foreign Travel to Canada Sinks as Fewer Americans Head North

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
We've stayed there on 4 or 5 occasions in the past 15 years, mostly in winter, but once in the summer and once in the fall. It's a nice resort, on a terrific golf course, but away from the pedestrian village, depending on what type of location you want. You'll miss the jazz festival which runs for a week mid July. We are heading to Tremblant with our bikes for 4 days mid August, but staying in one of the slopeside hotels. Check the Tremblant activities tab on the main site for goings on.

http://www.tremblant.ca/

Thanks - we're owners at Club Intrawest and have been to this location at least 10 times. I actually prefer to go when there is not something major going on, like the jazz fest or the ironman competition.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - we're owners at Club Intrawest and have been to this location at least 10 times. I actually prefer to go when there is not something major going on, like the jazz fest or the ironman competition.

We would not hesitate to go back, but alas Intrawest is not available through RCI any longer. And yes....unless you're involved stay away from the Ironman week and a couple of other major events. The jazz fest is usually not as crowded.

Here's a shot that was my desktop cover for a while.

Attachments

• MONTREAL MT TREMBLANT MAY 07 081_crop.jpg
    MONTREAL MT TREMBLANT MAY 07 081_crop.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 75

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Canada is beautiful, but everything is very spread out (especially from Manitoba) and IMO, the best way to see numerous sites is with a road trip. Unfortunately, road trips are very time consuming and are not conducive with stays in TS's.

We've managed to string together some fabulous timeshare stays with equally fantastic road trips in your beautiful country, and are so glad we did. Here's what we did once using 3 timeshare weeks:

* Week at Pacific Shores timeshare on Vancouver Island (1 nite in Tofino -Pacific Rim NP)
* Ferry to Vancouver where we picked up our rental car
* Beautiful drive to Osoyoos BC, 1 night at the amazing Observatory B&B
* Crossed border to US, week at Glacier Wilderness Resort timeshare
* Drove same car back up to Canada thru NP's, week at Banff timeshare (so we got to see Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay, etc)
* Drove to Calgary, dropped rental car, flew back to US

This was one of the best trips of our lives - - if we'd only had 2 weeks, this trip could have been done without Glacier NP. True, we didn't do this as a road trip all the way from NC! But we loved the driving parts between points, all the way, in addition to the timeshare stays.

Greg G

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Laurie

Wow, that's a great road trip.

Greg

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Laurie

Wow, that's a great road trip.

Greg
Greg, it really was. I've enjoyed your Glacier posts and pix a lot, hope you get back there when Going to the Sun Road is open.

We did the trip above when it was - one of our favorite hikes was Logan Pass, from near the visitor center where glacier lilies were blooming, across the snow (and this was late June or early July) - encountering mountain goats there, at the lookouts!

Feel free to use the itinerary, if you haven't yet seen these other places. (I know you'd love them since you appreciated Glacier that much.) All of these places, among the most beautiful on our continent.

btw, this is the Observatory b&b, for the perfect overnite stop - we got to see both night sky and morning sky - and the setting and breakfast served at the b&b, along with the warmth and hospitality, were all spectacular as well:
http://www.jacknewton.com/canada.htm

Last edited:

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thread hijacking alert!
Gnorth16 - we have a 3 bedroom cabin booked at Elkhorn for next summer. Please be sure to write a review when you get back!

eman072509

TUG Member
Reaction score
It actually can happen when going north to south as well. I've had a Canadian penny inadvertently given to pay for something in Bellingham fired back at me like it was something diseased. But you can find people with no social skils no matter what country you travel in, I think, and that's what I've put it down to - one individual with some sort of strange agenda I don't understand.

Sounds like you have and hopefully will continue to enjoy other communities "up here."
Canada stopped issuing pennies. This means in the future you will only get nickles dimes and quarters thrown back at you like they are diseased.

Keep in mind the reason the shop keepers in the US do that is the banks will not take Canadian coins. In Canada, we don't care. We don't differentiate between US and Canadian coins despite the exchange rates.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Canada, we don't care. We don't differentiate between US and Canadian coins despite the exchange rates.

Makes sense. What happened to all the CDN pennies? Why were the ones already produced not kept in circulation till there were a lot less?

eman072509

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pennies are still legal tender, and prices still reflect the penny in the prices. If you pay by cash, the amount gets either rounded up or rounded down. The common practice is if the total comes to say .04 or less, you would pay a nickel. if it is .06 you would also pay a nickel. Some of the shops that gouge people, only round up. There are some shops that will only round down. Depends on the merchant.

hvsteve1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, for starters the U.S. Dollar is weak all over the world. When I started going to Canada the loony was at something like 74 cents. Now it's about 92. This makes everything in Canada cost about the same as the U.S. EXCEPT for the very high unified sales tax. That used to be refunded when you left but not now. So no you can add up to 15 percent to the cost of everything.

I also went to Canada almost every year for military music events. One was the International festival of Military Music in Quebec City. This event went on for more than a week and featured bands from all over the world putting on concerts around town. The highlight was a three day military tattoo (band show) at the Pepsi Arena. Needless to say this event filled hotels and brought thousands of guests from around the world. The festival was not held this year because of the lack of financial support from the government. I don't know if it will ever get started again but this is exactly the time of year the city would be crawling with tourists to see the event. They're not there this year.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to Canada twice in the past 3 years and have had an absolute blast. Canadians are so darn nice and polite.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now is a great time to come on up! The U.S. dollar is worth a heck of a lot more than our loonie right now.

Dori

ChrisandBeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to Canada twice in the past 3 years and have had an absolute blast. Canadians are so darn nice and polite.

Thanks!

For the most part the Americans we have met on our travels in your country are also awesome.

In reality we are all the same.

Just think of Canadians as unarmed Americans with health care.:hysterical:

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
* Drove same car back up to Canada thru NP's, week at Banff timeshare (so we got to see Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay, etc)

Going to GNP this August and thinking of driving up to Banff for a week also.
What timeshare did you stay in convenient to Banff?

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to GNP this August and thinking of driving up to Banff for a week also.
What timeshare did you stay in convenient to Banff?

We stayed at Banff Rocky Mountain Resort, which is within the boundary of Banff town and NP. IMO it has the best location of the timeshare options, but there are many others in Canmore which could also work.