• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott in Curacao?

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
HI All,
long time off Marriott board - I post mostly on the lounge as I don't own timeshares anymore - but still love you all. I'm battling cancer and intend to reward my remission this summer in Curacao. I know there are 2 hotels - we have a free week. Can anyone tell me things about them? My kids don't like the beach, but we like LOOKING at the ocean - one sounded kind of perfect. We like great pools and awesome restaurants.

THANKS
Ellen

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
HI All,
long time off Marriott board - I post mostly on the lounge as I don't own timeshares anymore - but still love you all. I'm battling cancer and intend to reward my remission this summer in Curacao. I know there are 2 hotels - we have a free week. Can anyone tell me things about them? My kids don't like the beach, but we like LOOKING at the ocean - one sounded kind of perfect. We like great pools and awesome restaurants.

THANKS
Ellen

Hi Ellen,

Sounds like a great plan to me. Have you checked reviews on Tripadvisor??

Sue

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw Renaissance seems better - but i always check with my tug friends!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We have stayed at the Marriott. It is one of our favorite places ever! I have sent 2 sets of friends there and they loved it. It is elegant, but very low key.
But, we all booked it b/c of water/beach--so maybe not as important to you.
We love to snorkel and there is great (free) shore snorkeling right there, as well as a 5* dive shop. It is not in the city, but close enough---we walked in 20 minutes, or you can take the resort shuttle there and cab back.
I looked at the other hotel--don't think they had that when we went 5 years ago. It looks fun and appears to be right in the city.
Elaine

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been to almost every Marriott in the Carribean. Scrub Island will complete the portfolio this February. The Marriott Curacao is still one of our favorites. We usually rent a car and do the main area near the pontoon bridge which is the area the Renaissance is located. We usually go there to a few of the fort restaurants to eat, but during the day, you can't beat the Marriott. The northern beaches are awesome, but you would need to drive.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
So how are the two Marriotts different there? Where are the pools better? Oceanview rooms? Thanks for any help!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Marriott has great pools. The resort is in a V shape with pool in the center and ocean at the bottom of the V in an interesting design. Beach is very nice-with great snorkeling right off the coast. There are other wings of buildings off each side. Bldgs are 3 stories high with elevator--but I just took the stairs on the end by the beach, hopped right onto the sand, and placed my stuff at a free thatched umbrella hut/chairs. From room to beach chair was 2 minutes--if that. It is not super fancy, but very nice. Hooks Hut is right next door---lobster dinners on the beach for cheap! There is a nice, smallish spa as well. I think the other hotel is town, which the Marriott is not---but you can walk it (fitness walk takes 25 minutes) or cab it, or take the shuttle (used to be 3X a day). We only went into town 2X during the week--too much snorkeling, diving, spa--and the food at the Marriott was reasonable and quite good. take care. Elaine

OutAndAbout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott has great pools. The resort is in a V shape with pool in the center and ocean at the bottom of the V in an interesting design. Beach is very nice-with great snorkeling right off the coast. There are other wings of buildings off each side. Bldgs are 3 stories high with elevator--but I just took the stairs on the end by the beach, hopped right onto the sand, and placed my stuff at a free thatched umbrella hut/chairs. From room to beach chair was 2 minutes--if that. It is not super fancy, but very nice. Hooks Hut is right next door---lobster dinners on the beach for cheap! There is a nice, smallish spa as well. I think the other hotel is town, which the Marriott is not---but you can walk it (fitness walk takes 25 minutes) or cab it, or take the shuttle (used to be 3X a day). We only went into town 2X during the week--too much snorkeling, diving, spa--and the food at the Marriott was reasonable and quite good. take care. Elaine
Correct that the Marriott is near the water and the Renaissance is more corporate/business oriented and in town.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are looking ahead to the fall of 2014 and considering staying in Curacao. We will be going to Curacao on a cruise in early 2014, but have found land based stays to be completely different.

We plan to use a travel package certificate and will likely go for the cat 6. Is 7 days too much for Curacao or would we be better to go with the 5 night travel package and save the extra points?

Also, we will likely tack this on to a stay in Aruba, any experience with flights between the two islands? It looks like it may be cheapest to fly in and out of Aruba with an inter-island flight between the two?

Last edited:

TravlinDuo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Vista (x2)
Hi Dioxide.

We traveled to Curacao in 2007; exchanged into the Royal Sea Aquarium Resort. I would say that the choice of a 5 or 7 day stay would depend on how much activity you want each day and what you would want to see, as well as what time you would arrive and depart the island. While on the island, we 1) went to the ostrich farm and ate at the onsite restaurant to sample some of the ostrich dishes; 2) visited the downtown area where buildings are painted different colors to resemble Amsterdam; 3) went through the aquarium; 4) went to the aloe farm; 5) went on a snorkeling excursion and saw lots of flying fish for the first time. In addition to trying various restaurants, we went to the Marriott Resort for their beach buffet and then stayed for drinks afterwards. In our opinion, the Marriott Resort is the nicest resort on the island and it has a great beach compared to other beaches on the island. Seven days was just right for what we did without feeling rushed.

Sue

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
So we leave for Curacao in a couple weeks. Any restaurant suggestions? THANKS!!!!!!!

Retired to Travel

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club, Marriott Waiohai, Royal Caribbean
Dining

Don't miss Bistro Le Clochard. Also Fishalicious (stupid name, great food) and Wine Cellar. All have convenient parking, or take a taxi.