• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's the closest major airport to Manor Club in Williamsburg?

WelcomeHome

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, how long does it take to get from that airport to the Manor Club via car?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Best wishes,
davd

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Richmond, VA (30 minutes) or Norfolk, VA (30-45, depending on traffic). SWA flies to Norfolk and they fly out of LI--don't know if nostops. Both are very easy to get to Wllmbg. Washington, DC (DCA) and (IAD) are 3 hours. DCA is on I-95, so it is closer by 30 minutes than IAD.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Richmond - RIC

I suggest flying into Richmond (RIC).. it is a major but small airport with rental cars in a parking deck across the street. Williamsburg is probably about 30-40min drive... head east on I 64 and follow the signs to colonial Williamsburg.

Good luck!

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
PHF - Newport News / Williamsburg is 25 minutes to Manor Club. Air Tran flies in and out of the airport a lot. This is a pretty busy airport and very close miles wise to Manor Club, but you will hit some traffic in Newport News.

ORF - Norfolk is about 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. Manor Club is on the west side of Williamsburg so farther than from, say Colonial Williamsburg. Southwest uses this airport, and you can fly most major carriers. I would avoid this airport due to potential traffic nightmares that could make you late returning to the airport.

RIC - Richmond airport is about 45 minutes also and is on the Williamsburg side of Richmond. Opposite of Norfolk, Manor Club is closer to this airport because it is on the west side. Major airlines including Airtran and Jetblue use RIC. This is a very simple airport to enter and leave. You can also take route 60 the entire way avoiding the interstate if you want.

If you are striking out with these three, just fly into Dulles in DC and drive from there. It is just about 2 hours and 40 minutes from Dulles to Manor Club.

Don't forget to count the rental car price into your trip. They can be very different prices at the different airports.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Newport News/Williamsburg is the closest, being about 15 miles away. Several major airlines fly here, such as Delta, US Air, and Airtran. It can be a bit more expensive than Richmond or Norfolk, but when you look at the time saved and the the fuel you will use in the rental car, it can pay for airfare difference. Many of the big rental car companies are available at the airport as well.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Both Big Matt & kanerf posts are very accurate in information. I would probably fly into the Williamsburg / Newport News Airport and rent an automobile (rental auto's in the area are very low this time of the year).

Auto rental will increase starting the last week in May until the end of September.

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amtrak Station

Are there any Amtrak stations close to the area? I was thinking about combining Williamsburg with trip to DC and would prefer to take the train to DC if possible.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is an Amtrak station in Williamsburg, Newport News, and Richmond. All of them have routes to DC.

If you are really serious about the DC part of the trip, you may be smart to fly in and out of DC Reagan National airport. It is right across the river from DC and you can take the metro (subway) to the Amtrak station in either DC (Union Station) or Alexandria (one stop from the airport). You can rent a car at the Williamsburg Amtrak station. You do not need a car in DC unless you want to visit some of the things farther away from the down town area like Mount Vernon or the Manassas battlefields.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I have nothing to do this morning, I went ahead and looked on mapquest for the mileage from Williamsburg to the three closest airports.

Miles to Newport News Williamsburg - 25
Miles to Norfolk - 52 miles
Miles to Richmond - 46 miles

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
SWA will likely connect through BWI to ORF and offer the most flight options. But ORF is a very convenient airport for car rentals etc And SWA will be the most cost effective IMHO. RIC is almost always in the top 3 most expensive airports in the US.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is an Amtrak station in Williamsburg, Newport News, and Richmond. All of them have routes to DC.

If you are really serious about the DC part of the trip, you may be smart to fly in and out of DC Reagan National airport. It is right across the river from DC and you can take the metro (subway) to the Amtrak station in either DC (Union Station) or Alexandria (one stop from the airport). You can rent a car at the Williamsburg Amtrak station. You do not need a car in DC unless you want to visit some of the things farther away from the down town area like Mount Vernon or the Manassas battlefields.

Thanks for the helpful information. Several years ago, I frequently flew to BWI and took the train into DC because fares were much cheaper than DC airports. I recall there was a shuttle from BWI to BWI Amtrak station, and it took about 45 minutes to get to DC Union Station. I assume I could then take a train to Williamsburg. Are fares to DC Reagan (and Richmond) still a lot more expensive than BWI?

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful information. Several years ago, I frequently flew to BWI and took the train into DC because fares were much cheaper than DC airports. I recall there was a shuttle from BWI to BWI Amtrak station, and it took about 45 minutes to get to DC Union Station. I assume I could then take a train to Williamsburg. Are fares to DC Reagan (and Richmond) still a lot more expensive than BWI?

If you want to do DC and Williamsburg, I would fly to BWI via SWA and use them as a base. Rent a car (or take the train right from the airport) visit DC. (Only a short drive). Then, after DC, return the car to BWI and fly to ORF on SWA. Its only a 45 min flight and then about an hour drive to Williamsburg. I think the trian ride to Wiliiamsburg from DC would be 4-5 hours. Costs of flying would likely be less as well.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Southwest, but I wouldn't spend an extra two or three hours just to fly them. Airtran is dirt cheap too and they fly to RIC and PHF.

Whatever you do in this trip, add up everything cost wise. Remember that Southwest gives you free bags. This could come close to paying for the rental car if you have 4 bags.

You can definitely take the Amtrak from BWI to Williamsburg also. That would be a good option on either end of the trip that doesn't involve DC.

FWIW, most airlines including Southwest and Airtran don't penalize you for taking one way flights. You could also fly into or out of Baltimore and a Williamsburg area airport on the other end. that way you could avoid one of the Amtrak legs also.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Southwest, but I wouldn't spend an extra two or three hours just to fly them. Airtran is dirt cheap too and they fly to RIC and PHF.

Whatever you do in this trip, add up everything cost wise. Remember that Southwest gives you free bags. This could come close to paying for the rental car if you have 4 bags.

You can definitely take the Amtrak from BWI to Williamsburg also. That would be a good option on either end of the trip that doesn't involve DC.

FWIW, most airlines including Southwest and Airtran don't penalize you for taking one way flights. You could also fly into or out of Baltimore and a Williamsburg area airport on the other end. that way you could avoid one of the Amtrak legs also.

Good advice! I didnt realize Airtran flew out of PHF and now they are one big company too! You could even look into a one way car rental to have transportation your whole trip. Although, you wont really need a car after you get to DC. I just thought the train was expensive and a LONG ride to VA's tidewater. (OK, just checked pricing--one way train ticket BWI-Williamsburg is $33 + $22 for business class. Not bad. 5 hours one way.)

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score

I actually enjoy the train ride and you don't have to be strip searched prior to boarding. When you add all of the extra time for security and airport check-in, there is not that much time savings for flying from BWI to Williamburg. I have a Category 6 five night certificate I plan to use in a Marriott in DC, and then add a few days (before or after) using DC points in Williamsburg. Another nice thing about the train is I can carry on liquids. I definitely will check the fares to the various airports when planning my itinerary.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
.....and Southwest bought Airtran, so maybe we'll see more of Southwest everywhere soon. At least we know they'll be in Atlanta.

Good advice! I didnt realize Airtran flew out of PHF and now they are one big company too!

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
When I bought MMC several years ago, Air Canada had a prop flight direct from Toronto to Richmond that was so convenient compared to the 11 hour drive (like a big S as there's no straight line roadway). Now we would have to fly from Toronto to Washington, sometimes wait hours for a connecting flight from there to Newport News.

Getting to Hilton Head from Toronto is a similar problem with no major airport nearby except for Savannah which is expensive to fly to...much more than the more competitive (and busy) routes like Orlando, Auderdae, Miami, etc.

So we just pile in the car, make a stop on the way, and stay at least 2 weeks.

Brian