• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Resorts

JillC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Simpson Bay Resort in St. Maarten (a Royal Resort). Would like to visit one of their sister resorts in Mexico, but have never been to Mexico. I believe all of the sister resorts are all-inclusive. Having never been to Mexico, does anyone have a recommendation - one that maybe has good snorkling, restaurants, etc. Also, do you know approximately how much it costs for all-inclusive? We would like to visit next April.

imoapie

Reaction score
They are not all inclusive. As a royal member, all inclusive is optional at $69/day.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Royal Haciendas in Playa del Carmen. We were not interested at all in the all-inclusive plan so we rented our week directly from an owner rather than exchanging through II.

If you do rent from an owner, there is a discount on the AI fees. Currently, the rates for exchangers are posted on II.

Rate per adult (18 years & over), per day USD 99; teen 13-17 years, USD 69; child 4-12 years, USD 49; child under 4 years, no charge.

The Royal Cancun, Royal Islander and Royal Caribbean are available to exchange into without a mandatory AI fee.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
go to www.royalresorts.com ...We love Cancun...There are 4 Royals in Cancun and one in Playa del Carmen (few miles from Cancun)...Been to a few places in Mex, but Cancun is King...IMO
If u are interested in Cancun, go to www.tripadvisor.com ....Go to the Forums / Cancun.......Loads of info

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I just returned from Royal Sands on Saturday.

We rented from an owner.

It is true you get a discount on all-inclusive and you don't have to take all seven days. The minimum is four consecutive days which we did. We wanted to explore other areas and restaurants and the food at Royal resorts can be very average with a few exceptions.

The all-inclusive allows you to take advantage of Royal Sands, Royal Cancun and Royal Haciendas plus the offsite restaurants El Conquistador, La Trattoria, Hacienda Sisal and Captain Cooks (?).

The Sands was very clean and well-maintained and service was exceptional.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
JillC, U must realize "Phydeaux" is the biggest Royal / Cancun HATER on this forum...Nuff said

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Numerous high rises, loads of people on the beaches, crazy fast bus drivers, crazy fast taxi drivers, mucho competition for your dollars, 5 o'clock rush hour, big ocean waves.
I used to love the RI until we moved to RH. Much more mellow and we spend some time in Akumal and Soliman Bay for even more mellowness as well.;)

buceo

Reaction score
Snorkeling off beach at a Royal Resort is not what they are known for. For that alone the Royal Haciendas (RH) might be "the best." That said the surf and the sand in Cancun is fantastic, just not for wildlife snorkeling. The RH is a cab ride from Playa which has an infinite supply of great restaurants, great tourist town. All their Cancun (not a town) resorts are on a public bus route that can take you to another infinite supply of restaurants. From any resort, plenty of tours/trips to snorkel; cenotes or the reef at Puerto Morelos. Going once, picking one, hard to go wrong, imo.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I listened to Royal's recent pitch while I was at Royal Sands.

They are selling a program similar to Hilton Grand Vacations. Your week is now points (I'm not an owner), You can use the points in any Royal resort or the points can be converted to RCI points for use at RCI resorts.

I think this explains the affiliation with RCI now.

I didn't bite and I chatted with an owner on the beach who wasn't biting either. If he wants extra time he uses an AC from II.

JillC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your responses. Still haven't decided on Mexico yet as it is just so overwhelming. But, hasn't been crossed off the list as yet.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I listened to Royal's recent pitch while I was at Royal Sands.

They are selling a program similar to Hilton Grand Vacations. Your week is now points (I'm not an owner), You can use the points in any Royal resort or the points can be converted to RCI points for use at RCI resorts.

We were at Royal Sands last year via RCI exchange and took the tour.

I'd never buy from the developer but we did very much enjoy the week, so I bought an Explorer package to come back in 2017. We took the more expensive of the two they were offering. A one-time use of approx 6,900 points (approx because I've made the reservation already using 6,840 points which left an insignificant number of points unused).

We paid $1,886 which in shoulder season will get us:
one week Royal Hacienda 4/4 Suite ocean view (2,740)
plus
one week Royal Sands 6/6 Villa ocean view penthouse (3,590)
plus
one extra night Royal Sands 6/6 Villa ocean view (510)

We booked all 15 nights consecutively, which qualifies us for a 40% discount on all a la carte menu items and/or $68 per person per day for the all-inclusive (a 24% discount from the RCI price of $89).

Spouse and I will stay the first week, a la carte, and then the following 8 nights we'll bring our adult children down and go all-inclusive. [They especially appreciate the open bar.]

Not cheap, but at least we did get what we paid for - - I called exactly a year before the dates we wanted and got the booking without a problem.

Last edited:

M&M

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Royal Sands last year via RCI exchange and took the tour.

I'd never buy from the developer but we did very much enjoy the week, so I bought an Explorer package to come back in 2017. We took the more expensive of the two they were offering. A one-time use of approx 6,900 points (approx because I've made the reservation already using 6,840 points which left an insignificant number of points unused).

We paid $1,886 which in shoulder season will get us:
one week Royal Hacienda 4/4 Suite ocean view (2,740)
plus
one week Royal Sands 6/6 Villa ocean view penthouse (3,590)
plus
one extra night Royal Sands 6/6 Villa ocean view (510)

We booked all 15 nights consecutively, which qualifies us for a 40% discount on all a la carte menu items and/or $68 per person per day for the all-inclusive (a 24% discount from the RCI price of $89).

Spouse and I will stay the first week, a la carte, and then the following 8 nights we'll bring our adult children down and go all-inclusive. [They especially appreciate the open bar.]

Not cheap, but at least we did get what we paid for - - I called exactly a year before the dates we wanted and got the booking without a problem.
Sounds pretty good, but what weeks are considered shoulder season?

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good, but what weeks are considered shoulder season?

Our shoulder weeks are late April into early May.

They gave us the complete points calendar when we bought the package, so I knew what the price in points would be for selected weeks, resort locations, and unit sizes.