• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Garza Puerto Vallarta owners need feedback?

funtimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello

Purchased 1114 points annually for $16710 (deed is summer studio beach)
$15/point

Annual usage MAINT FEE cost
Club points (any season travel except holiday weeks) 1114 club pts X .43 for annual MFEE is about $475..
+
Preferred points 1114 - weeks 18-50 usage only (Correction weeks 18-43 may- Oct) Mfee only charged if used

Can roll over up to 5 years the unused club points and save for larger accommodations

30 years renewable for another 30 years by paying 5 Mfees upfront

Have 5 days to keep or rescind

I welcome any feedback. (Pluses and negatives of Garza, ease of use, trade power how it works if it's good value in RCI or registry?)

Plan to use in Playa del Carmen opening 2018. PV is nice where we toured and purchased Garza membership. Cabo resort opens end of 2017

Like to also trade into RCI AND registry but not sure if it's good value to do so??

Any advise to keep or resind deal? Anyone ever purchased resale? What do u lose when you purchase resale?

Any current owners please chime in your experiences with Garza!

Thank you

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I get along just fine, not owning in Mexico and simply renting when we need a Mexico fix. The place is overbuilt, they treat owners like a wallet they can open at will for more money. You don't really 'own' anything, it's all just 'right to use'. They exchange at fairly low cost through the big exchanges (RCI/II) and force owners to do through their in-house 'travel clubs' to exchange out of their internal systems.There are many, many, out there where people will pay the (multiple MF's) fee for the transfer to get out from under them. A resale ownership has the same perks as the original buyer. Some better, some not so much.

In short, I wouldn't buy a Mexican TS from the developer.

Jim

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Details and questions

1)Your info does not list a advanced booking window for your primary use"Club Points" .
While it says weeks 1-50 ( except 2 floating / Easter holiday weeks) you could find that weeks 5-12 (Feb - March ) are pre taken by folks with better contracts and ARP( advanced reservation priority ) per one of the threads I listed below - I believe certain "gold " members can book one year ahead , etc etc .

2) I would be leery of anything deeded/ listed as summer in Mexico . Mexican resorts are overbuilt ( in a sense ) because when you built in pesos and rent in USD there is a strong incentive to build for peak snowbird season ( Jan - April ). The result is that there are generally lots of availability spring ,summer and fall .
While others say- don't buy at all - I would say : it is your money. But if I were spending it I would want to make sure I bought something that guaranteed me the ability to get Feb President's Week every year - because I know it has limited availability compared to demand

3) Buying to use in a resort that is not yet open ?
Garza PV has good reviews but ...

4) While cheaper , Studios are generally less attractive than one bedroom in the TS world because it is basically a hotel room . What kind of kitchen/ fridge etc is guaranteed ?

5) If you wish to trade - buy something other than Mexico . You will get more bang for you buck with a Las Vegas Grandview in RCI points off ebay
( cheap MF , that translates well into dollars per point .
TUG has lots of ideas on traders - that you never actually stay at - just pay MF and trade . ( The Grandview /must be in RCI points; is just one of many such traders )

6)The week 18-50 pay on use only(preferred points) is a bonus that exists because of my point
of building for peak snowbird time .

7) You can probably get this " deal " - 52 weeks a year / 7 days a week
so even if there are no "resale "Garza to be found , and you love the place so much that you want to go every Feb. and a bonus week for the next 30 year - look around TUG and spend 6 months reading " today's posts " than decide.
I am sure they will be happy to sell you the same deal in 2017

<** added after reading threads I listed after point 9) - since Garza Blanca is a part of Villa Group / UVC -it looks like buying the right resale contract could get you into Garza for a lot less $$.It also sounds like not every Villa / UVC points contract will get you into Garza. >

8) You are pre - paying $ 557 per week for your primary week plus $ 475
yearly MF/ usage fee .For the next 30 years .

9) here are 2 recent threads that may help -( use search to find )

Questions about Villa Group/ UVC points system - started by JB2013 - April 7 2016
Garza Blanca Resort in Puerto Vallarta suggestions - started by Robin50 - Nov 11 2015

( esp. read the posts by Beach. Bar. Bob , as he is very Villa Group/ UVC knowlegeable )
I would put his name in search and read ...

If you decide to buy in Mexico - new or resale

a) buy non AI ( AI fees are expensive , unlees you drink or eat- a lot )
b) the points rollover you list is a good thing
c) the 30 years or similar and done ( RTU ) is actually a good thing,
because it is your exit strategy when your too old to travel.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Garza owner so here are my comments. I love my Garza timeshare but I bought resale.

1)Your info does not list a advanced booking window for your primary use"Club Points" .
While it says weeks 1-50 ( except 2 floating / Easter holiday weeks) you could find that weeks 5-12 (Feb - March ) are pre taken by folks with better contracts and ARP( advanced reservation priority ) per one of the threads I listed below - I believe certain "gold " members can book one year ahead , etc etc .

Garza is not available to all UVC members for booking. Only those who bought Villa de Palmar Cancun. Availability is pretty good as of now. I can't remember if it's 18 or 24 months in advance. I usually book 2 months in advance.

2) I would be leery of anything deeded/ listed as summer . Mexican resorts are overbuilt ( in a sense ) because when you built in pesos and rent in USD there is a strong incentive to build for peak snowbird season ( Jan - April ). The result is that there are generally lots of availability spring ,summer and fall .
While others say- don't buy at all - I would say : it is your money. But if I were spending it I would want to make sure I bought something that guaranteed me the ability to get Feb President's Week every year - because I know it has limited availability compared to demand

I don't think that is the case with Garza as of now since it is fairly new, they have just built new towers and not as many owners as UVC. Since you bought summer, you will need to accelerate future years to get more points to book winter or larger rooms.

3) Buying to use in a resort that is not yet open ?
Garza PV has good reviews but ...

4) While cheaper , Studios are generally less attractive than one bedroom in the TS world because it is basically a hotel room . What kind of kitchen/ fridge etc is guaranteed ?

There's no kitchen in studio just a mini fridge. I don't even think it has a microwave. I own at Garza but have only stayed in 1 bedroom.

Even though you have a studio contract you can book larger units by accelerating points from future years up to 5 years.

5) If you wish to trade - buy something other than Mexico . You will get more bang for you buck with a Las Vegas Grandview in RCI points off ebay
( cheap MF , that translates well into dollars per point .
TUG has lots of ideas on traders - that you never actually stay at - just pay MF and trade . ( The Grandview ,must be in RCI points is just one of many such traders )

I deposited a Summer studio in Garza and I received 26 tpu's in RCI 2 years ago.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thanks Seaport 104

I wanted to give funtimes things to consider . I was going from general TS knowledge and Vidanta knowledge .

Your details specific to the resort are great .

Beach . Bar . Bob prior posts gives a good Villa Group primer as well .

I think we saw Garza from the road , going to Boca de Tomatlan/ Yelapa 2 years ago, and I have read the TUG reviews and postings and it sounds like a top notch resort experience

25 TPU is very good , especially if your studio MF is $500 range ( $ 20 per TPU ) that is trader quality.
I believe a Mayan Palace 1 bedrooms get 18 - 20 TPU so $35-$40 or so . I think this reflects the large number of developer deposits
by Vidanta and not the resort quality .

So the points acceleration to book a 1 bedroom / winter season would make it work a bit like an EOY ( every other year ) type of contract .
How many points would be needed beyond 1114/ $475 MF to get that ?

If you wanted a summer 1 bedroom using preferred points ( optional MF ) how would that work ? would you just pay more or ??

I am sure the OP or another reader will be helped by this .

Last edited:

funtimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Garza points chart attached

i wanted to give funtimes things to consider . I was going from general ts knowledge and vidanta knowledge .

Your details specific to the resort are great .

Beach . Bar . Bob prior posts gives a good villa group primer as well .

I think we saw garza from the road , going to boca de tomatlan/ yelapa 2 years ago, and i have read the tug reviews and postings and it sounds like a top notch resort experience

<<<<<<we saw the 2br mountain units with sweeping ocean views, it was incredible. The 2br beach units were close to beach the units were smaller so required less points. I loved the mountain 2br units. I am attaching the points chart so you can see
then there are penthouse units. Now the question with any system is if i saved my 1114 for 3 years and have 3338 avail, how easy is it to obtain a winter week? Kind of cool concept with banking up to 5 years and borrowing (accelerated use) from the rear 1 year, so up to 6 years of points if i wanted a larger stay or longer stay any given year..

<<<<<<<<I will try and attach pics
2br mountain location with full ocean view is 3559 points for week check in any day
2br beach location with ocean front views is 2549 point for week

i.e. 3559 points x .43 is $1530 in usage / mfee

25 tpu is very good , especially if your studio mf is $500 range ( $ 20 per tpu ) that is trader quality.
I believe a mayan palace 1 bedrooms get 18 - 20 tpu so $35-$40 or so . I think this reflects the large number of developer deposits
by vidanta and not the resort quality .

<<<<<Nice to know seaport that it is a good trader for inexp $480 mf! Trading into rci and registry is new to me! I like this idea for value trades - share your trades! Can 25tpu trade for a high quality resort in a 2br unit? They said it was worth 300 pts with registry also.

So the points acceleration to book a 1 bedroom / winter season would make it work a bit like an eoy ( every other year ) type of contract .
How many points would be needed beyond 1114/ $475 mf to get that ?

<<<<See attached points chart - the way it was explained is i pay .43 per point to gain whichever unit you wish to stay in and save up if i dont have enough any given year

if you wanted a summer 1 bedroom using preferred points ( optional mf ) how would that work ? Would you just pay more or ??

If one goes during weeks 18-43 (not 18-50 i typed on orig post), 18-43 weeks april 30 thru october 29th 2016...

Here is their full link explaining club points vs preferred points usage along with all of the floorplans studio to penthouses

www.garzablancaresidenceclub.com

see above my response - keep them coming, i am trying to find holes in this system, i need feedback from current owwners. What you pay? How easy is it to reserve with resortcom international (reservation company component).

Garza cabo opens 2017?
Garza playa del carmen opens 2018?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

funtimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Garza owner so here are my comments. I love my Garza timeshare but I bought resale.

Garza is not available to all UVC members for booking. Only those who bought Villa de Palmar Cancun. Availability is pretty good as of now. I can't remember if it's 18 or 24 months in advance. I usually book 2 months in advance.

I don't think that is the case with Garza as of now since it is fairly new, they have just built new towers and not as many owners as UVC. Since you bought summer, you will need to accelerate future years to get more points to book winter or larger rooms.

There's no kitchen in studio just a mini fridge. I don't even think it has a microwave. I own at Garza but have only stayed in 1 bedroom.

Even though you have a studio contract you can book larger units by accelerating points from future years up to 5 years.

I deposited a Summer studio in Garza and I received 26 tpu's in RCI 2 years ago.

Seaport

What is UVC?

What was your price per point resale? Did you buy a resale week at villa de palmar?

Did you lose any benefits buying resale?

Do you have both preferred points available to you along with Club points?

Thanks

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi Funtimes ,
When I first saw your post I did not see your other TS ownerships and so some of my initial post was written to help a newbie .
That said - I think it gave seaport104 a structure to add great details .

Does Villa /UVC have the equivalent of Vidanta member services . When you rescind with Vidanta member services , they ( not TS sales) will review the contract and add addendum or upgrades . If you like what is offered you can then keep the upgraded contract .The 5 days put you in charge .

I think this thread will help future readers as well

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So the points acceleration to book a 1 bedroom / winter season would make it work a bit like an EOY ( every other year ) type of contract .
How many points would be needed beyond 1114/ $475 MF to get that ?

If you wanted a summer 1 bedroom using preferred points ( optional MF ) how would that work ? would you just pay more or ??

I am sure the OP or another reader will be helped by this .

Hi, your points were quite helpful and I figured I'd just supplement with my experiences on ownership.

As for the upgrade to 1BR, yes you can either use your preferred points or accelerate a points from the back of the contract. The additional cost is the costs of the points based on current maintenance fee.

For example, 1BR beach is 2,170 and my studio is 1,113 points. I would need to accelerate 1,057 points and I would pay the maintenance fee per point on the additional 1,057.With an annual membership you can accelerate up to 5 years (not sure if that is in total for the term of the contract or in one shot).

I prefer to accelerate (rather than use preferred points for the year) since who knows how the resort will be 20+ years from now.

I have used the preferred points to deposit a studio once then I realized I like RCI points better so haven't deposited since then.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seaport

What is UVC?

What was your price per point resale? Did you buy a resale week at villa de palmar?

Did you lose any benefits buying resale?

Do you have both preferred points available to you along with Club points?

Thanks

UVC is Universal Vacation Club which is the Villa del Palmar chain in Mexico.
I did not buy resale at UVC/Villa del Palmar since only the contracts at Villa del Palmar in Cancun can book at Garza Blanca.

I bought a resale at Garza Blanca and did not lose any benefits buying resale. I di get preferred points available along with Club Points.

I got lucky and found it on Craigslist for a couple of thousand dollars. Since it is a new resort, there's not much resale out there.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
See Beach. Bar. Bob posting June 14 2016 - on UVC contract types

Please see BB Bob's detailed info posted June 14 2016 on UVC contracts and complications of certain resale transfers.

Not specific to Garza Blanca contracts- but it should help a future reader
better understand how and what to purchase .

The thread is - UVC Consolidation of contracts - started jmckee 99 - started June 13 2016

Last edited: