• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about Marriott/Interval Codes

marileehaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an upcoming exchange (Marriott to Marriott) into the Kauai Lagoons resort in a 3-bedroom villa. The unit code assigned to our confirmed exchange is DTBBV, which according to the TUG data base designates the villa as 3-bedroom, Ocean Front view. I called the resort a couple of months ago to put in a villa location request. The woman with whom I spoke confirmed that my code was indeed an ocean front unit and that there are only 2 of those 3-bedroom ocean front units on property--both in building A--on the 1st and 4th floors. I told her that I didn't really care which of those two units we received.

Fast forward to today, when I received a phone call from the same woman under the guise of confirming our check-in day, etc. Then she got to the REAL point of her call, which was to tell me that although we would be guaranteed to occupy a 3-bedroom unit, we would not know the location of our unit until we arrived. I brought up the subject of the assigned unit code designating our villa as having an ocean front view. She told me that an ocean front location would most likely be "off the table," as a deeded owner at the resort "might want" the ocean front location, and an owner's request would trump my exchange.

When I initially called the resort a couple of months ago, there was no question about where our villa would be, based on the code assigned to it. My question is this--can a resort just ignore the code designation on my exchange reservation and downgrade the unit to a lesser view location? Having had both Garden and Mountain views at other Marriott Hawaii resorts, I know from experience that those locations are poured in concrete and there are no UPGRADES to a better view.

I would like to gather some information before our visit, so that we do not have to have this discussion upon arrival. All I know is that this feels like a bait and switch to me. I plan to call II, but maybe this is a question that I should direct to Marriott? Thanks, in advance, for any information/suggestions that you can give me!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If you look at your exchange confirmation there is a line saying exchanges are not guaranteed views. Says that II exchanges can be any room view. Last year the II confirmation emails did not say this. It was added some time this year.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If in fact your Interval International certificate says that you will be getting a three bedroom Villa into the Lagoons, then that's what you will get. If you are an exchanger then the view IS NOT guaranteed.

Last edited:

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club

I would like to gather some information before our visit, so that we do not have to have this discussion upon arrival. All I know is that this feels like a bait and switch to me. I plan to call II, but maybe this is a question that I should direct to Marriott? Thanks, in advance, for any information/suggestions that you can give me!

A few years ago, we exchanged to, and received a Kauai Lagoons two bedroom ocean front next to the ground floor 3 bedroom in building A. The view is fabulous, but there really is no guarantee from II that the view code stated is the one you will receive. However, we have always had the impression that the Marriott staff will make every effort to get the best view, even the II code view for you, and within their resort view hierarchy, we have been very lucky. My best advice to you would be to bring the spirit of Aloha to every conversation you have with the staff, and if you have a particular reason for really, really having your heart set on that ocean front, let them know what that reason is.

However, now that Buildings B and C are open, the word is that almost all the views are really great, just a bit more ocean from Building A. If they cannot give you the Ocean Front, (and owners really do have priority) I would guess that you would get the best of all the other views available.

Good luck, but don't let missing out on the ocean front (if you do) affect your enjoyment. It is a beautiful resort. We'll be there again next September, and we will not have OF this time. But I am not (well, maybe just a tiny bit) worried about the view!

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Views on an II exchange have never been guaranteed. Some Marriotts have been pretty good about honoring the room code you have exchanged into, but others don't. As pointed out by others, the confirmation will have language that your view is not guaranteed.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, specifically on all the Interval exchange certificates we have ever received it states
"PLEASE NOTE: YOUR UNIT MAY VARY FROM THE ONE INDICATED. The Certificate does not guarantee a view or location."
However, as also stated, from our experience most resorts seem to do their best to honour views.
We typically combine home weeks with exchanges so those probably helps too.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchangers are basically last on the order of unit requests. It doesnt mean you wont get a good view but owners come first. As others have said, the resort can give you any unit the same size, regardless of view. In my 20 plus years with II they have never guaranteed the exact unit or view and thats listed on your confirmation. Its always been up to the resort to assign the unit.

marileehaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I just wish that the pre-arrival person hadn't made the ocean front view sound like such a fait accompli when I initially spoke with her. Makes for some disappointment here.

Last edited:

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I just wish that the pre-arrival person hadn't made the ocean front view sound like such a fait accompli when I initially spoke with her. Makes for some disappointment here.

She might have not realized your reservation was an II exchange, or not known that II exchanges don't guarantee view category. Once she saw the ocean front on your reservation, she assumed it would be honored.

I haven't stayed at Kauai Lagoons, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with your view. It sounds like an amazing resort with beautiful grounds.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Kauai Lagoons is one of the very few resorts where even almost all the island View units have very good ocean views. We have stayed there twice in Ocean View and once in Island View. We thought the Island View unit we had was even a better view than one of our two Ocean Views. After those experiences, I will always book Island View at Kauai Lagoons if I stay on DC points or cash because the view is so good. And good views of the ocean are important to us.