• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TV question

tlwmkw

Reaction score
We are in the market for a new TV. I know that there have been other threads about TV's but the models are constantly changing and therefore the older threads are almost obsolete as soon as they are posted (not unlike the TV's themselves).

Anyway, we are looking to have a wall mounted TV. We have looked at a Samsung 60 inch Smart LED TV with 1080p and 120 HZ refresh rate. The model number is UN60H6350. We aren't interested in 3-D because it gives DS and myself motion sickness and headaches. Has anyone had one of these TV's? Also has anyone got a 240 HZ refresh rate TV and does it really make any difference in what you see? Any experience with Samsung?

Thanks in advance for any advice, tlwmkw

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a 50" Samsung non-3D at Costco for ourselves last Christmas. Very handy to have the button for Amazon or Netflix or Pandora, etc. I don't know from model numbers or refresh rate, but with Costco's return policy and warranty it was a no brainer. You can see whatever they have up and running the same programming so you can see them side by side. The TV looks great, can be wall mounted, has a universal remote (but I prefer the Harmony). It was under $1000.

Jim

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Samsung products are awesome, especially the LED LCD HDTVs. Do your homework in checking out sites that give reviews and you'll come to the same conclusion.

We have the 65" (getting the 75" next time) and it might be the most favorite thing we've ever purchased because we enjoy TV so much. We watch sports and movies a lot. The refresh rate mostly comes into play with fast action, such as sports, and I like the 240, but it's not critical for some people. The 3D is not something I'm interested in.

Look at all sorts of reviews online-----you'll learn a lot. But bottom line, I think the Samsung is the top choice available today for a home TV. It performs well, has a gorgeous picture, it's priced reasonably, it's reliable and trouble-free, and it's user-friendly. I wouldn't consider anything else. My analogy is that it's "the Lexus of TVs" (my wife has the big Lexus SUV). Enjoy.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Samsung has a wide variety of models so you have to pay particular attention to the specifications. Narrow your choices down to maybe 3 models then go to a store and compare those 3 side-by-side. That's when you will really see the differences. Try to include one of the high-end models in your comparison so you can clearly see what you would be missing. Make sure you view a sports program with lots of action.

Key specs include: 1920 x 1080 resolution (1080p a must), processor size (quad core is best), clear motion rate and dimming technology. Disregard 3D as almost all models have 3D anyway. Refresh rate is no longer a valid design spec as it has been replaced by other criteria.

I did a very in-depth review last year and was extremely impressed with the MICRO DIMMING PRO feature of the dimming technology. That provides incredible screen detail and color rendition. For action, the CLEAR MOTION RATE (image processing) provides a crisp image for football runners, race cars etc. (Lower quality screens will only provide a blurred image of a moving object). My rate is 960.

I ended up with the UN60F7500. Purchased it on Black Friday with a 30 day price match. Within the following 10 days I went back to the store and received a total of $600 rebate. I also received a Samsung Smart Blue Ray DVD player, and a number of other values included in the purchase.

BTW, Costco only sells Samsung models specifically branded for Costco. They don't carry the high-end models.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
In general TVs are so good these days that it's hard to go wrong. Even so, I agree with Kal that if quality is important to you that it's good to investigate in detail. Otherwise, any of the TVs at Costco will likely be great solution.

Sent from my iPad

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. We will probably go with the Samsung- now we just need to finalize the size and look at the motion rate (?). Everyone says go bigger but then the price gets bigger too! It's not like the old days when you just picked the brand and that was it- too much to consider. We'll let you know when we get it.

tlwmkw

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Buy has a nice 50-inch Panasonic TV as their Thanksgiving special for $200. Good luck with that one though!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked Costco because you have ninety days to try out your new television and you can return your purchase no question ask and no restocking fees like other retailers.

Last edited:

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a 60 inch Samsung (3D we never use) from Costco and love it but we have had problems with it resulting in service calls. Mother board replaced a couple of times. Sound was cutting out.

My hairdresser got the same size Samsung at special Wal-Mart sale that was so much cheaper but I think it has been said that they use different components. She never mentioned any problems.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
There so many great brands...Even the lesser brand names have caught up w/ the big guys....My main tv is Samsung...But I also have Toshiba, Panasonic and Sceptre..(total of 6) They all have great pic quality.....

FYI... Some people assume since they bought an HDTV, the screen will display HD picture. ... U must get HD programming from your provider...Directv, Dish, Cable,etc......And yes, it costs a little more; but IMO, well worth it... The HDTV will work without HD programming, but the pic will be Standard Def; not High Def

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a 46" Samsung, which is nice, except it seems to have a weak antenna.

I know these big guys use a ton of bandwidth. Our FiOS router is upstairs, we have a very solid old house, and we had trouble streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other services.

We tried a bunch of different approaches and finally bought a $100 booster from FiOS (the only one they have). We installed it right next to the TV and since then, things have been better.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw an ad today that Best Buy is going to sell a Samsung 4K - 55" TV for $900.

Better get in line, early.

That's an incredible deal.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We've had a 60" Samsung LED over our fireplace for about 3 years.
We think it's great... and practically live in our recliners in front of it.

We saw it at Best Buy, but got a good price from at www.buydig.com

I recommend this source for reviews: http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/
It's well organized and comprehensive. Like this article:
"Best HDTV Shootout Comparison, Samsung vs. LG vs. Vizio"

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Regarding Costco TVs

I recommend you go to a big box store, like Costco, and stand in front of a line of TVs to compare the image. Pick the one you like best. Use that TV as a standard to compare with other TVs you may be looking at. Unless you have a specific need for a specific feature, odds are good the one you chose will work just fine for you at home.

Consider, too, that Costco will give you a full refund for three months from date of purchase, no questions asked. Longer, if there is a documented issue. Best Buy gives you two weeks, and only if you haven't opened the box the TV comes in. (Say what???) Other vendors may have other policies, but basically you're on your own.

Since popular brands of TVs are the same from store to store, be aware of where you're buying whatever it is you get. The rest comes down to features and price.

Dave

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Costco is great. Even so, if I can't order large items online I won't buy them. I ordered my last tv at Amazon. Not all TVs Costco sells in store are available online, but that's an important criteria for me.

Sent from my iPad

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love my Smart TV. Sony 50" Best Buy.

Best Buy will price match Amazon. But, it has to be the same TV and model number. However, I love Costco's return policy and support. Both will have good deals around Black Friday and better deals just prior to Superbowl.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you look at a TV in the store retailers purposely tune some sets to look as bright as possible to get your attention. They just raise the Brightness level of the set and set the picture mode to Vivid.

(Some retailers are even crafty enough to raise the Brightness level only on the sets that produce the highest profit margin; have you ever noticed that some sets in the store look more bright than others? It's not a coincidence.) What's important is to look at the in-store set more than a minute or so, you will start to notice that the detail is a little fuzzy.

Also, rarely to you see a set showing "real-time" cable TV. They frequently show a carefully prepared High Definition DVD with clarity not obtained in the home with typical cable broadcast.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Consumer Reports just came out with a new issue and it has a lot of info on TVs. Sony appears to have the best audio. A lot of the new TVs have terrible audio for watching movies and you need to buy a sound bar if you want to hear quality sound.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
A lot of the new TVs have terrible audio for watching movies and you need to buy a sound bar if you want to hear quality sound.

It's been like this for years. And not all sound bars are equal. Of course, true surround speakers with a sub is best.

Sent from my iPad

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A lot of the new TVs have terrible audio for watching movies and you need to buy a sound bar if you want to hear quality sound.

We haven't heard sound from our main TV in years. The feed goes first into an AV Receiver where the sound is distributed thru a surround system, then to the TV (with it's sound muted). Turning on three devices - the cable box, the receiver (set to "TV") and the TV - is a bit clunkly, but it's theatre quality sound.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't heard sound from our main TV in years. The feed goes first into an AV Receiver where the sound is distributed thru a surround system, then to the TV (with it's sound muted). Turning on three devices - the cable box, the receiver (set to "TV") and the TV - is a bit clunkly, but it's theatre quality sound.

A Harmony remote will simplify this. One button turns it all on, off. If you have ROKU or other peripherals it handles them too. I got ours at Costco. About $80. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes

Jim

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I've found when I've gotten a new tv home is that the calibrations are all messed up: movies look like live TV shows, there is motion blur, etc.

You can address this one of two ways. The easy way is to Google your model number and the words "calibration settings", and there will be av forum posts from people who have set the same (or similar) tv. The other way is to buy a calibration disc and do it yourself.

I've done both. Copying someone else's settings works well, setting it yourself works better and helps you understand how the different functions work together. If you are looking for a good calibration disc, Disney WOW is simple and easy to understand. I've shared mine with several people who have been pleased with it.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have the same situation regarding sound. The problem I finally solved is perfect sequencing of the sound to the image on the screen. Even the slightest delay will result in the actor's lips moving with the sound occurring a bit later. I've got one setting on the AV Receiver that will increase or decrease the sound delay to sync the two together.

The AV receiver also has a plug in audio detector that I set up in the middle of the listening area. The system adjusts all the speaker settings based on the dB signal obtained by the detector.