• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CNBC report on AG investigation of Manhattan Club [merged]

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
They make it sound like a timeshare is a new thing and it's all a scam. While this may sort of like a scam, in that they rent out rooms when people actually own them, it's not a scam.

Check out the math on this one:

$141,000,000 construction cost for 286 units. That's $493,006 a unit. That makes a unit $9480 just for the construction cost. So aside from inflated sales salaries, how do you pay $45,000 for a $10k unit? That's a hefty $35k profit PER WEEK! I don't know that most other developer direct sales have that much of a markup.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
They make it sound like a timeshare is a new thing and it's all a scam. While this may sort of like a scam, in that they rent out rooms when people actually own them, it's not a scam.

$141,000,000 construction cost for 286 units. That's $493,006 a unit. That makes a unit $9480 just for the construction cost. So aside from inflated sales salaries, how do you pay $45,000 for a $10k unit? That's a hefty $35k profit PER WEEK! I don't know that most other developer direct sales have that much of a markup.

20% of $45K equals $9K or intrinsic value.

Manhattan Club's escapades are old news!

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214664&highlight=manhattan+club

Following is break down of the largest Developer.

Wyndham's costs and profits circa 2012

Description------------------..........New Buyer........Current Owner

Selling price in thousands..............$17K...................$22K

Brick, Stick and Mortar...................20% ....................20%

Selling...........................................58.......................32

Bad debts.......................................16......................12

Profit..................... ..........................6 .....................36

Source: Main Man at security analysts presentations and SEC 10K

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think you'll find other timeshare developers showing similar math equations; the developers are in it for the money, and if people are willing to pay it then it is what it is.

The beef with this particular developer is not the issue of price; the issue is the developer renting out units for nights/weeks, and thus preventing owners being able to book their weeks. Think of it as overselling the plane and not being able to obtain a seat with a paid ticket.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned a half dozen timeshares and have never had a problem booking a room, or at least depositing my interval into a trading company. That being said, I learn the ropes and leverage what I can to my advantage. I have no sympathy to the owner who waits until late November and tries to book a week and finds out that there is nothing left in the month of December.

When I see/hear people with complaints like this, I wonder if they are last minute planners and try to book timeshares like hotel rooms.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned a half dozen timeshares and have never had a problem booking a room, or at least depositing my interval into a trading company. That being said, I learn the ropes and leverage what I can to my advantage. I have no sympathy to the owner who waits until late November and tries to book a week and finds out that there is nothing left in the month of December.

When I see/hear people with complaints like this, I wonder if they are last minute planners and try to book timeshares like hotel rooms.
No, the Manhattan Club is a special case. Multiple owners have said that nothing is available there even when they book far in advance.

The State of New York seems to think so, too. A quote from the CNBC report: "After an investigation by the New York attorney general's office in July, the Manhattan Club was slapped with a cease-and-desist order and AG Eric Schneiderman called it a 'bait and switch' scheme." The New York attorney general would not have issued a cease-and-desist order if this were just a case of owners trying to book at the last minute.

I don't own at the Manhattan Club, but I own at a different timeshare (Sheraton Broadway Plantation) where I just called to make a reservation for 2015 and was told that every week in my entire season (which covers March through October) was unavailable and I therefore would not be able to book a week for 2015, even though the 2015 hasn't started yet and there should be a week available for every owner. (See my thread at http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219766)

In my case, I eventually got a CS rep who said Starwood's inventory people would look into it and get back to me. But, you shouldn't assume that when a management company says nothing is available, it's because the owner booked too late.