• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Opinions on SFX

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I joined SFX a few years ago and added my ownership info to my profile... but have never used them for anything.

I received an email from them today with a pretty decent deposit promotion offer. The offer is for a unit that - as it turns out - I won't be able to use next summer.

I'd love to get some opinions on SFX before I decide.

- do they have decent inventory for exchanges?
- how useful are Bonus Weeks? (this promotion includes 2)
- what about the various membership tiers? They're rather pricey. Does anyone find value in them?

This particular ownership doesn't exchange with RCI and I had been contemplating joining II (another promotional offer) just to deposit my week. I'm a little familiar with II because I manage my mom's Starwood (SVN) acct.

Also, San Francisco is on my list of places to visit in the next year or 2. I'm sure I can use my Wyndham ownership for that but it would require a lot of points. I think I heard/read that SFX is good for that area.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just remember that SFX is a small independent exchange company. They are strong in Mexico and Northern CA.

The major timeshare systems are exclusively affiliated with II or RCI, which means that they do not "bulk space bank" with SFX. (Starwood, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Disney, etc.)

So SFX has far less inventory than RCI, and II - especially when it comes to the Hotel Affiliated timeshare resorts.

A good strategy with SFX is to call, and find out what week they would like you to deposit - they usually have very specific needs.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Denise. The email did state which resort (Bluewater in HHI)... and I have a holiday week reserved. The email says "we're in need of inventory there. " I called them first but recording says they're in training.

Really just curious if I'd get any use out of the bonus weeks, vacation cash /account credit and other incentives they're offering.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
SFX has sent us on exchanges to London twice in the past three years.

Its inventory is probably a whole lot less than what RCI or Interval has available, but if it has what you want, who cares?

I second Denise's advice -- call them and talk to them (try doing that with Interval).

(Note: The bonus weeks have been worthless for us, but so are the AC's we get from Interval.)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Really just curious if I'd get any use out of the bonus weeks, vacation cash /account credit and other incentives they're offering.

They are quite a bit more expensive than the equivalent offers from II or RCI.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My last several exchanges have been with SFX. I like that the Bonus Week program works as well as it does, providing you can work within the parameters of the Bonus Weeks' timeframes you're getting. (They expire 12 months after your deposit date, as I recall.) Regular weeks deposited last longer. Bonus Weeks are just like the deposited week, and are different from the Extra Vacations that RCI offers.

As for the quality of the exchanges they can provide, it depends on where you're trying to go. I've found them to have nice stuff in Hawaii and Southern California, too.

Specific examples: I exchanged a 1bedroom Summer week at the Imperial of Waikiki for a 1bedroom at Coronado Beach Resort in San Diego, and the Bonus Week I received I used to exchange for a 2bedroom at Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort on the Big Island. None of these are four star resorts, but they're not bad. And two weeks for the price of one is pretty hard to resist. :cheer:

Dave

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used them probably more than any other exchange company. If you don't want to pay for membership, I think you can only request a year in advance. I have platinum membership but will let mine go back to gold when it runs out.

They are the best exchange company for San Francisco. I've had 2 exchanges there and I often see weeks there online. I used a bonus week to send my daughter and her BF to NYC once. Have used other bonus weeks for local places at the beach in Southern California. If you book a bonus week a month out or less, it is a good deal. If you book far in advance, you'll probably get a better deal in II.

I've never had a request go unfulfilled if I put it in a year or so in advance. I've had a couple go unfulfilled when it has been less than 60 days, but that is to be expected and I didn't count on those coming through.

They are excellent over the phone. They have been very helpful and they never sound dumb, which I hate to say, has been my experience with some of the other exchange companies. If I were you and knowing I wanted to visit San Francisco, I'd deposit with them and they will give a trial as a platinum member, but you don't need to sign up and pay to keep it.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like that the Bonus Week program works as well as it does, providing you can work within the parameters of the Bonus Weeks' timeframes you're getting. (They expire 12 months after your deposit date, as I recall.) Regular weeks deposited last longer. Bonus Weeks are just like the deposited week, and are different from the Extra Vacations that RCI offers.

Dave

Thanks for all the info.

I read somewhere that you can put in requests for bonus weeks also... you're not just limited to what you see online. Have you had success with that?

My nephew recently moved to Southern CA, so perhaps I could use a bonus week and take his mom out there to visit.

RFW

TUG Member
Reaction score
We joined the no fee plan many years ago, but have never a actually used them until last year, hoping to get that exchange this year to London (which we did not). They always have those seemingly generous bonus offers, which are good if it works for you, as stated above.

Our hesitation to use them is that we cannot split our 2 bedroom lockoffs as we can with II. We have made out pretty well with II, often using our lock off to get a 1 bedroom, or sometimes a 2 bedroom (,using the II Flexchange), sometimes renting part of the unit and exchanging the other portion, or using it.

Also, with the free membership, we cannot do a request first request, and I don't want to pay for two membership fees.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for all the info.

I read somewhere that you can put in requests for bonus weeks also... you're not just limited to what you see online. Have you had success with that?

My nephew recently moved to Southern CA, so perhaps I could use a bonus week and take his mom out there to visit.

You are correct. Bonus Weeks work just like the deposited week, except that you have to call and ask to make an exchange with one. They have the same trading power value as the deposited week. So it's sort of like depositing two of your week instead of just one.

If you're in doubt, call them and ask what your options are. You may find you get a lot more for your money than with the larger exchange companies - providing you want to go where they can send you. The person I use most often is Nathan Reynolds, at extension 1113. He's great to work with.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've used them probably more than any other exchange company. If you don't want to pay for membership, I think you can only request a year in advance. I have platinum membership but will let mine go back to gold when it runs out.

They are the best exchange company for San Francisco. I've had 2 exchanges there and I often see weeks there online. I used a bonus week to send my daughter and her BF to NYC once. Have used other bonus weeks for local places at the beach in Southern California. If you book a bonus week a month out or less, it is a good deal. If you book far in advance, you'll probably get a better deal in II.

I've never had a request go unfulfilled if I put it in a year or so in advance. I've had a couple go unfulfilled when it has been less than 60 days, but that is to be expected and I didn't count on those coming through.

They are excellent over the phone. They have been very helpful and they never sound dumb, which I hate to say, has been my experience with some of the other exchange companies. If I were you and knowing I wanted to visit San Francisco, I'd deposit with them and they will give a trial as a platinum member, but you don't need to sign up and pay to keep it.

Great info! Thanks

I will continue researching and gather all my questions tonight and call them in the morning.

Robert thanks for info about request first with free membership. Maybe I can use the account credit they're offering towards the platinum membership.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are correct. Bonus Weeks work just like the deposited week, except that you have to call and ask to make an exchange with one. They have the same trading power value as the deposited week. So it's sort of like depositing two of your week instead of just one.

If you're in doubt, call them and ask what your options are. You may find you get a lot more for your money than with the larger exchange companies - providing you want to go where they can send you. The person I use most often is Nathan Reynolds, at extension 1113. He's great to work with.

Wow that's good info also. I rarely deposit my weeks. With the exception of my RCI Points ownerships, I use most of what I own. What I can't use, I rent...mostly to family/friends. I won't be able to use this next year at all and I would love to save it for my future trip to San Francisco. I like that SFX has a free membership option...and with the vacation cash and account credits they're offering with this promotion, SFX sounds like a good place to deposit my week.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I got the same email today They are looking for me to bank my Summit week. The only exchanges I have gotten through them are for the west coast. Very limited inventory on the east coast.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I received the offer today for Harbour Lights and a friend received it for Morritt's Tortuga...

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got an offer too. I used them last year and had a good experience. I would consider using them again.

Dave&Linda

TUG Member
Reaction score
There apparently was a mass emailing today to just about everybody who showed an interest in SFX. I got one as well, ironically just after I wrote something on a Facebook group that has nothing to do with them. I'm thinking about banking a week of Tradewinds Cruise Club with them but not sure how this whole thing works. As many of you know TWCC is a pretty high level timeshare and interested in seeing what SFX will give me in a trade.

[Edited: I'm sorry, but you can't offer rentals in the discussion forums.]

Last edited by a moderator:

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bonus Weeks work just like the deposited week, except that you have to call and ask to make an exchange with one.

That has not been my experience. They show up along with my deposited weeks as weeks available to place a request. SFX does have less inventory than the big guys, but sometimes they have the ability to call and get something that they don't have in inventory. They once asked if I would accept a particular resort in Las Vegas (Polo Towers). A short while later, they had it for me. I needed a 2 BR during a narrow time window so I was pleased.

I have had three Hilton exchanges through SFX, West 57th, HGVC on the Blvd in Las Vegas, and Seaworld. I've also made exchanges to Hawaii, twice to Aruba, Scotland, London, San Fran and a number if oher places. I usually travel off season and I'm very flexible with my dates. Some exchanges never get a match, but I've always had pretty good luck. You will need to be very flexible.

I also got an email today, but the week they requested is an EOY, even so I don't have it available to deposit.

The gold membership is free.

Good luck.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I wanted to point out the bonus weeks may have the same exchange power as your original deposit but the fee to use the bonus week is not the same as using the original deposit.

Price Per Week
Booking Window
Number of days booked in advance of member vacation:
Studio 1 Bedroom 2/3 Bedroom
0-30 Days From $169 From $299 From $399
31-90 Days From $299 From $599 From $799
91-180 DaysFrom $499 From $699 From $899

After the first year of SFX Membership a deposit of a future week is required to gain access to this booking window that gives you more time to plan your vacation.
Studio 1 Bedroom 2/3 Bedroom
181-365 Days From $499 From $699 From $899
* Due to high demand and limited units, additional fees apply for these areas: New York, San Francisco, London/Europe and Hawaii. Holidays (New Year's, President's Week, Spring Break, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas) and Residence Club Fee will incur an additional fees.

So a 2 br "bonus week" booked more than 90 days before check in will cost you from $899 and if you want to use the bonus week during a holiday or in any of the special areas will have additional fees. So a bonus week studio in SF I believe starts at $699 if it is available and booked more than 90 days in advance. In the past the additional fees have ranged from$199 to $399 above the regular bonus week pricing. A holiday week to a high demand area would have a double additional fee.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wanted to point out the bonus weeks may have the same exchange power as your original deposit but the fee to use the bonus week is not the same as using the original deposit.

So a 2 br "bonus week" booked more than 90 days before check in will cost you from $899 and if you want to use the bonus week during a holiday or in any of the special areas will have additional fees. So a bonus week studio in SF I believe starts at $699 if it is available and booked more than 90 days in advance. In the past the additional fees have ranged from$199 to $399 above the regular bonus week pricing. A holiday week to a high demand area would have a double additional fee.

Still not a bad price for SF...assuming not a holiday week. If I used my Wyndham points, 1 week in a 1bdrm is about $1500.

Depending on how it goes when I call tomorrow, I will likely take this offer, although the bonus weeks may go unused.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I banked a week several years ago with SFX and let it go, unused. Recently I decided to give them another try and booked another week. To date, I still haven't found anything as an exchange. I usually vacation on the east coast and it seems as though they are more in Mexico and the west coast.
Today I also got the email offering me a lot of perks for depositing my week.

joycapecod

TUG Member
Reaction score
sfx and expired weeks

I tried SFX many years ago and deposited 3 weeks over two years. I got an exchange in to The Donatello in SF and found the unit I had to be subpar. My 1 bedroom deposit got me a hotel room, granted for the week I needed to be in SF, but the unit was tired and not on a par with what I used for trade. I received another exchange to Scotland and the resort was OK, but nothing special, nor was the location wonderful. The third deposit never got a match in over 18 months an a wide variety of resort requests, so my nearly $1000 maintenance fee was a throw away.

You will hear from those who sing the praises of SFX and I am happy for them, but for me, never again.

Joy

Last edited:

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
The pricing on bonus weeks has certainly changed. As recently as a month ago, my bonus weeks would cost me $499 for a 1 BR with no regard to the timing. However, there was always a surcharge for larger units and holiday weeks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I got an offer from SFX for Custom House as well. Attractive offer, but if they don't have bonus weeks that fit your schedule, I am doomed to just get an exchange for the week (if that even happens).

I joined again, paid the price for Platinum, and I did get one great exchange to Manhattan Club for our daughter. Requested it months ahead, and I was so excited, but our daughter's house didn't sell, and her husband refused to go because they had two house payments. A lucky TUG member got it because I placed it under Distressed here on TUG.

I also got a bonus week for one of the guys Rick works with at one of the Mayan resorts in Mexico. Pretty easy to get that one. I almost forgot.

I am hoping to get another MC for our daughter for spring break and have had a request in place since July. Might not happen. Might have used my turn at MC.

The problem with SFX that I see is the lack of online visibility. They have some visible, but nothing I want, really. Mexico is not on my bucket list. So I set online searches and hear nothing for months and months at a time. It's really frustrating for me. Being used to RCI where everything is visible, for exchange or rent, and II where a lot is visible (not everything, certainly), I don't like the different system much.

I joined last August, so a few good things in that time, but I still have 5 weeks on deposit.

If you join, be sure to monitor your exchange requests because if you get matches through the big companies, or your plans change, SFX can get snippy about their rules. Read the fine print. If you don't call, and they get a match for your request, they can charge you the exchange fee anyway. The SFX guides lecture members on exchanges and how they work. It's a speech I am loath to hear ever again in my life.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the continued input...both for and against. I didn't have time to call today so keep the feedback coming! I'm still on the fence.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am hoping to get another MC for our daughter for spring break and have had a request in place since July. Might not happen. Might have used my turn at MC.

You may want to call and check if they are even looking for you. In February of 2014 SFX instituted a 1 in 3 rule for all of NYC so if you are confirmed to any unit in NYC you can't get another one for 3 years. This is the quote from Mark OY.

Hi Steve - Thank you for your post. That is correct, we have instituted a 1 in 3 rule for NYC. The reason is simply a customer "Fairness" rule. Needless to say, the Demand for NYC is far greater than the availability of space, with all exchange companies. We want to give as many of our members as possible, who want an exchange to NYC, a "Fair and Reasonable" chance of experiencing this great destination, and this rule is the fairest way of doing it.

It is a general rule. However... You may still may request NYC within the three year period, and based upon demand versus availability, and other possible criteria, you may be confirmed for that exchange. For example, if we have units available within lets say a 60 day window, and there are no member requests for those units, providing you have enough trading power, you may be confirmed.

Thanks,
Mark @SFX
Member Communications