• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner's Update Reflections/Sheraton Flex Questions

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When I had my owner's update, one of the biggest things my salesperson pushed was the great trading power the flex units had in II due to being in the points system. Has anyone actually exchanged using this, is it actually valuable?

[edited - see more info. about this below]

I have to say that Starwood has really turned up the baloney machine with Flexoptions.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Does baloney = lies or misinformation :D

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I don't know why I have such a hard time grasping the benefits or even how it works.
I don't think there are much in benefits -- that's why they are hard to grasp.

As for how it works, Sheraton has taken weeks at a bunch of resorts, put them into a trust, and sold shares in the trust. Trust owners can reserve at any of those resorts at 12 months out -- space available, of course!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
or does flex options exchange more like points using a cross over grid? Most points programs use a grid that can be both a benefit or a liability. A 1br 150 tdi in a 3 rate Orlando resort costs the same number of points as a 1 br 150 tdi in a top tier Maui resort. No wondering if you have enough trading power, if you have the points you have the power and your place in line is determined by when you put in the search.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only benefit I see is being able to reserve sky weeks at Steamboat 12 months out. This is something that may not even work when you compete with all Flex owners and try to get a few units during sky season.

Anyone know what is the fixed/float sky weeks ratio at Steamboat (that are part of flex)?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What do you mean by sky season? I believe the high season is Plat Plus - I don't think Starwood uses other names for their seasons.

*Never mind, I just realized that you mean "ski" season.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by sky season? I believe the high season is Plat Plus - I don't think Starwood uses other names for their seasons.

*Never mind, I just realized that you mean "ski" season.

Correct, I blame iPhone autocorrect.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
or does flex options exchange more like points using a cross over grid? Most points programs use a grid that can be both a benefit or a liability. A 1br 150 tdi in a 3 rate Orlando resort costs the same number of points as a 1 br 150 tdi in a top tier Maui resort. No wondering if you have enough trading power, if you have the points you have the power and your place in line is determined by when you put in the search.

This is why I was debating purchasing a flex package...it seems like the II trade capability could be great. I know Hyatt uses a points system in II and their owners report great trades.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This is an older discussion about exchanging flex/home options in interval.
Since you pay MF based on the number of points you own (not an underlying week) it can be quite expensive to exchange enough home options for larger high demand weeks. This is the same problem with Marriott Trust points vs points systems like Hyatt and legacy Marriott weeks where you can own a high point/low MF week.

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had great trades with my studio WKV side (e.g., 2 BR Marriott Ocean Pointe).

This is why I was debating purchasing a flex package...it seems like the II trade capability could be great. I know Hyatt uses a points system in II and their owners report great trades.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. FOs allow you to book at several (relatively) less desirable (except Steamboat) resorts (mainly in FL.) at 12 months out.

I don't think there are much in benefits -- that's why they are hard to grasp.

As for how it works, Sheraton has taken weeks at a bunch of resorts, put them into a trust, and sold shares in the trust. Trust owners can reserve at any of those resorts at 12 months out -- space available, of course!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I've had great trades with my studio WKV side (e.g., 2 BR Marriott Ocean Pointe).

Studio WKV side?
You mean the 1Bd Deluxe (smaller) villa?
It is not a studio, and that matters in exchange value

Sv1plat52

Reaction score
I have decided against converting the week I currently have. Based on my research with the point system and also based on the interval point system exchange, the point system will cost a lot more to get the same trading power.

My strategy is that if they still the trade in weeks in the future, I will get several weeks for cheap and trade them in. I still need to check if they will allow me to trade more than one week in for the purchase.

Ziwang

Reaction score
For what it's worth, at my owner's review two days ago I was told that if I went out and bought more weeks to trade in, beyond the one resale week I already own, that I would not be able to trade in the additional weeks.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, at my owner's review two days ago I was told that if I went out and bought more weeks to trade in, beyond the one resale week I already own, that I would not be able to trade in the additional weeks.

I seriously doubt this would be the case.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Which reminds me - whatever happened to Westin5Star? He has not been on TUG for more than a year.

Didn't he buy a vacation home in Roatan? Perhaps he sold off all of his Starwood VOIs?

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
That's what he said he was doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyler

Reaction score
Upgrade or not?

I currently own SBP Staroptions 67100 every other year. We only vacation there and never trade for another resort and probably don't see ourselves doing that. We are going to an owners meeting New Years week, where I am told we will be pushed to upgrade to Flex. We are told that if we don't, our local trading power will be greatly reduced resulting in possibilities of not being able to use our options since they would be only available to trade in with others who did not join Flex or bank with II and trade that way. Also they said my yearly fees will go up for not joining. So, here are my questions.

1) Should I upgrade knowing what I do currently with my options?
2) Is there much truth to the trading limitablity by not joining the new program?
3) By not joining will they raise fees to punish those who don't join?

I don't care about trading with Marriott or Hyatt. We just want to come to SBP every year or every other year depending on how we split up our options.

Thank you for you advice.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I currently own SBP Staroptions 67100 every other year. We only vacation there and never trade for another resort and probably don't see ourselves doing that. We are going to an owners meeting New Years week, where I am told we will be pushed to upgrade to Flex. We are told that if we don't, our local trading power will be greatly reduced resulting in possibilities of not being able to use our options since they would be only available to trade in with others who did not join Flex or bank with II and trade that way. Also they said my yearly fees will go up for not joining. So, here are my questions.

1) Should I upgrade knowing what I do currently with my options?
2) Is there much truth to the trading limitablity by not joining the new program?
3) By not joining will they raise fees to punish those who don't join?

I don't care about trading with Marriott or Hyatt. We just want to come to SBP every year or every other year depending on how we split up our options.

Thank you for you advice.

I'm not familiar with the details of SBP, but my understanding being an owner at SVR is that for you the Staroptions don't matter since you only want to use your week at SBP and not trade within the Vistana system. When you say that you split up your options are you booking a few days at a time or do you book a full week?

I don't see a benefit for you joining. Flex would allow you to priority book at any of the Flex resorts at 8-12 months out (others such as the Westins would still be at 8 months) - you already have this feature at SBP with your ownership there.

I doubt that you would experience difficulties booking a unit unless an overwhelming number of owners trade into Flex - something that would take many years for existing owners.

The fees is a bogus argument. Flex is much more expensive from what I've observed and they can't raise fees on non-flex owners. All owners at a particular should pay the same amount in MF regardless of whether the unit is in Flex or not. Everything I have seen is that Flex is more expensive.

We were fed many of the same lines when we did an update at SVR earlier this year - only to find TUG and realize most of it was lies (i.e., the new Nanea is not part of Flex). If you want entry to the Flex system I'd watch eBay - there have been a few auctions where Flex points have come up for next to nothing.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
No reason for you to "upgrade".

You are able to get the reservations you want at present and that isn't going to change in any meaningful sense (this is entirely a scare tactic; reservations at SBP have never been difficult).

Your unit has zero value on the resale market (I recently gave away my two units there). You have no "investment" to "protect".

The "upgrade" will cost you thousands. There is no usable benefit for you.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

skyler

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, we will use our options during off weeks so that we can get 2 weeks for the 67100 options we have. One each year.

We bought when the property was Embassy Suites, then it sold to Vistana then to Sheraton. Years ago we were not part of SVN and were told that we HAD to join SVN or could no longer trade our deeded week at Sheraton. So, I reluctantly paid the $8000 to upgrade and join SVN. I did not want to make that mistake again and join Flex after being told that if we don't join we will find it hard to use our options unless we bank with II.

We like to keep it simple and cheap. So as long as we can still bank Staroptions, split them and use them for multiple stays all at the same resort then I do not see the need to upgrade to Flex. Am I right?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
We like to keep it simple and cheap. So as long as we can still bank Staroptions, split them and use them for multiple stays all at the same resort then I do not see the need to upgrade to Flex. Am I right?

Correct - you're fine with what you have. No need to pay 1000's more for what you already own. Welcome to TUG!