• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kids dentist exam - flouride, sealants, x-rays

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have dentist appointments for our 4 and 6 year old coming up. We are going to a new dentist that is in our plan and need some advice on what should be done at the visit.

In the past, the dentist has asked our kids what flavor teeth vitamins they wanted - they were giving our kids flouride without asking our permission. Do the kids need flouride? They drink filtered tap water and have a relatively low sugar diet.

Do the kids (maybe the 6 year old) need sealants? He just has two new front teeth as of now.

How often should they get x-rays? The 6 year old had them done a few years back, 4 year old has not had them done yet. The 4 year old has bigger spaces between the teeth.

Most dentist I've met are sales oriented so I'm looking for some other opinions. Searching on the web has not been helpful.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
sealants are usually for molars--get them as soon as they come in. Topical flouride is standard at least 1X a year, if not 2X a year. Bite wing Xrays are 1X a year to check for cavities. Pano xrays are every 3-5 years. My ins. only covers every 5 years. Most new dentists want them (but usually for older kids). So, I have gotten the old pano and taken it to the new dentist when we switched. Ask around for reputable dentists. This is someone you want a long term relationship with and need to trust. We pay about $150 per 6mth check up, more with xrays. Fillings are $170-250+. Dental insurance helps a lot, esp. if "in network."

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Those are normal preventative procedures and have been for years.

I hope you are also giving your child a fluoride supplement, as prescribed by your pediatrician. (Unless your city has fluoridated water or naturally high fluoride levels.)

Appropriate fluoride use will have an enormous impact on the health of your child's teeth for the rest of their lives.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fluoride. Look at other sources. Tap water, tooth paste. If you get too much flouridosis causes staining on the teeth.

Fissure sealant. Do it. I still have some in there 30 years later.

Xrays. Most are digital now. Low power compared to the film we had exposed as kids.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
*Your dentist will know if your city's water is fluoridated or has naturally high fluoride in the water.

Normally, staining only occurs if the parents are using fluoride inappropriately, or the area water has high natural fluoride.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I get my son yearly flouride and we do not have sealants.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I hated fluoride treatments as a kid and was happy when I was old enough not to need them any longer. We also had fluoride treatments in grade school. Some kids parents opted out of those. They would sit there while the other kids would stand at the front of the class room swishing the mouthwash in their mouths.

planada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Kauai Beach Club, Marriott Sabal Palms,Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, Cibola Vista Resort, Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach,Marriott Destination Points,Vidanta Nueva Vallarta Grand Lux
If u are so very concerned about your children having fluoride treatments, then at least make sure they are drinking fluoridated water.Stop the filtered water- you are drinking water with the fluoride removed. Yes, cities do add fluoride to their water supplies but the appropriate amount is always in Dannon's kids water, or Gerber Nursery water, or even Walmart has gallon jugs marked as fluoridated water. Most of the water companies that do home delivery will let u request fluoridated water for no extra charge. Systemic fluoride (which is laid down in the matrix of the tooth) is more beneficial than topical fluoride. They should drink fluoridated water until they are at least 17 years old. Sealants should be done on all permanent molars with out question. They will erupt in the mouth approx 5-6 years old and 11-12 years old. BTW, most insurance will pay for preventive services 100%. It is THAT beneficial. If your DDS is trying to take advantage of you, believe me it wont be for prophies, xrays, fluoride, and sealants. Decay has risen 60% in children of upper/middle class families. We all have Reverse Osmosis on our home water system and are taking the fluoride out.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you are also giving your child a fluoride supplement, as prescribed by your pediatrician. (Unless your city has fluoridated water or naturally high fluoride levels.)

I found this comment interesting as I have lived in three different states as a parent and have never had a pediatrician mention a fluoride supplement. Guess we all had fluoridated water.

DD had fluoride treatments and sealants and had only one cavity before age 18.

As in many other health issues, prevention is the key.