• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

royal resorts

Mike S

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to trade into Cancun or RM through II for Jan
I always thought Royal Resorts were top shelf, even stayed at RH a couple of years ago and thought it was great
But I read a few negative reviews on the Cancun properties and looked at some pictures of the units.
Is it me or do the units look dated?
I'd go the Mayan resort route but want a swimmable beach
Any suggestions?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mike, as an owner at both the Royal Sands and the Royal Haciendas, I will honestly say I like the RS better than the RH. We like the beach better. I will also agree that the units at the RS although maintained fantastically and cleaned daily are dated. They are beginning a refurbishment of the Sands over the next few years. They feel that it will take 5 years to complete. Honestly the fact that the units are dated doesn't really bother me. Everything is good working order and if there is a problem they will come fix it immediately. The spa and gym at the Sands is top notch--better than the ones at the RH. I am not entertaining and it is not my permanent home, so the fact that updating is needed does not keep me from going there.
I personally would not trade into the RS or RH because on a trade you have to do the AI plan. I think the food on the resort properties is fine for breakfast and lunch, but there are too many good restaurants in Cancun for dinner. The Royal Caribbean and Islander do not mandate AI, so they would be a better exchange choice. If you rent from an owner you do not have to take AI.

Mike S

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I was looking at carribean or islander
Didn't want to do AI
What about these two?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't want to do AI
What about these two?

Like the Sands, they do need updating, but they are well maintained and VERY clean. I would not have any qualms about going to either of them. They will not undergo refurbishment as they are nearing the end of their 30 year contracts with the owners.

Blue Skies

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Royal Cancun (formerly the VCI), which is the first Of the Royal Resorts built in Cancun, underwent a complete remodel just a few years ago, so the rooms have been updated. It is located on the calm side of the island. This resort has an optional AI program, not mandatory. Just another option for you.

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't want to do AI
What about these two?

I just got back from RI for my first visit ever to a Royal timeshare, so I am not sure if I have good basis for comparison. I previously stayed at Club Regina resorts in Cancun and Puerto Vallerta.

Anyways, I thought the RI was fantastic, but the notable differences were the lack of in unit laundry appliances, a very basic shower/tub combo that you rarely see at Gold Crown/Pineapple resorts, and the lack of a hot tub anywhere on the premises. The kitchen also didn't have granite, though that doesn't bother me at all.

But the rooms were spacious, the service excellent and I loved how they didn't nickel and dime you on everything. The on site restaurants were very good and reasonably priced, as was the on site mini-grocery store.

We probably had one of the worst room locations, but we still had a nice angled view of the ocean. The pool area and beach, however, are separated by several stories of stairs or an awkwardly placed elevator.

I had a great time there and would go again in a heartbeat.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
The Royal Cancun (formerly the VCI), which is the first Of the Royal Resorts built in Cancun, underwent a complete remodel just a few years ago, so the rooms have been updated. It is located on the calm side of the island. This resort has an optional AI program, not mandatory. Just another option for you.

We stayed at this resort and would not recommend it for its location and especially the beach. I would choose Westin Lagunamar first, and after that Royal Caribbean or Islander.

Mike S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,

I put down Westin Lagunamar, RI and RC in Cancun,
Casa Dorado at Medano Beach and Villa Del Arco in Cabo
Now hope to get an exchange

Any thoughts on the Grand Mayan and Luxxe in Riviera Maya,
I thought the beach reviews were bad because of the rocks and it was pretty far from Playa Del Carmen or Cancun.
(We like to go to town for dinner.)
Stayed previously at Royal Haciendas before it was AI and loved the location and the resort.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Royal Caribbean and Royal Islander are not upscale or glitzy. Think Formica rather than Granite or Quartz. Think bathtub rather than glassed in huge shower and Jacuzzi on the terrace. They don't have the latest and greatest frills.

However, the TVs are flat screen and good-sized, the stoves are flat-top, and the decor has been updated to a good thread-count bedding, light cover with scarf and pillow pile (vs old-style quilted bedspreads). The towels in the villas and at the pools/beach are big and nice.

Lack of laundry appliances in-unit is a minor inconvenience to me; I like that I can drop off laundry in the lobby and then pick it up all perfectly folded and bagged to take back upstairs.

What they DO have is an ocean view from every villa, large terraces, excellent construction (they were among the few to survive Hurricane Wilma and were used for hurricane shelter AND you rarely if ever hear people upstairs or next door), and gorgeous beach, huge pool areas (esp at the RC, but you'll use both RC and RI since they're interconnected), very friendly efficient staff, and they are comfortable and very clean with daily maid service (except Sunday).

Last edited:

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at this resort and would not recommend it for its location and especially the beach. I would choose Westin Lagunamar first, and after that Royal Caribbean or Islander.

To each his own but as a parent, I particularly like the Royal Cancun's quiet beach because you don't have to worry about your youngster being knocked over by the waves or swept out to sea by the undertow.

I also prefer the Royal Cancun's small village feel or 'hood, as opposed to the behemoth resorts where you often have to deal with the unofficial 'occupied' signs on the lounges.

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love the Royal Cancun! Can't get enough, my kids aged 12 & 10 love the feel of the resort and they can move around without us.. If we want waves we go up to the sands for a few hours. Heading back to the Sands with a lot of family in Aug and they had never been to Cancun so we chose the sands, we wanted them to experience the beaches over there, we will be sure to bring them to the Royal Cancun also. We are doing the AI so we will make our rounds. In February during school break we always stay at the Royal Cancun..

Mike S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got an exchange into Royal carribean.
Anyone know where B506 is?
Thanks

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Go to their website. They have a map of each of the resorts with villa locations.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Using clock directions, 12:00 is the center of the beach/ocean, and 6:00 is the center of the lobby. Building B is the closest off beach building to the beach at the north side of the resort. Level 5 is on the 2nd floor (pool level is elevated +4 from the beach, so ground floor pool starts at 4 equaling the first floor). 06 is the third villa in that building at around 9:30 on the clock face.

You will have a nice ocean view, as you are over the top of the 3 floor low beachfront building, H. (Its roof forms the sundeck). You are also seconds from elevator or stairs going down to 4, pool level, or 1, beach level.

Last edited:

buceo

Reaction score
About here then ? I attached a pic.

Have a great trip.

Attachments

• RC_B505.jpg
    RC_B505.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 63

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think of during google earth. :)

Yes, a few lower down than the arrow. The top is 11 or 12, count down to 5. 5 may not have a sight line from or to the beach, especially at that angle, but will see the water.

Last edited:

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got an exchange into the Royal Caribbean in Cancun the week before Christmas. Sounds like the units are outdated but that's ok, I guess. However now I hear December is rainy. Yikes. What activities are recommended except pool and the beach?
Does anyone now how fast or slow the Internet is at the Royal Caribbean? Need to get some work done while on vacation.

Boonie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at the Royal Caribbean now we have a 2bedroom through a
trade. The Royal Islander is right next door. We are further down the hotel zone but the bus stop is in front a downhill walk. We are on the 5th floor by the pool but the higher you can get probably better. The units are spacious especially it's only 3 of us and very clean but we did have a problem with one toilet backing up and TV in living room not working.

Boonie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got an exchange into the Royal Caribbean in Cancun the week before Christmas. Sounds like the units are outdated but that's ok, I guess. However now I hear December is rainy. Yikes. What activities are recommended except pool and the beach?
Does anyone now how fast or slow the Internet is at the Royal Caribbean? Need to get some work done while on vacation.

There is a Mayan Museum right next door. Most activities are outdoors. The internet seemed spotty at first but is now working fine.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boonie, you called maintenance I hope. They come quickly. And I appreciate that their toilet plungers are carried in a clean plastic bag :)