• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Smugglers Notch, Vermont

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just made a last minute rental booking for a week at Smugglers Notch Resort. Two-bedroom for a week starting Friday.

I'd appreciate any "insider tips" from folks who have been there. I'm taking my two boys and one of their friends (ages 8, 12 and 12).

The basic info is available from the resort, but any special insights would be appreciated about things to do, kids ski programs, good value -- you know -- the sort of thing that's not obvious on first arrival.

We are all good skiers or snow boarders and can handle black diamonds, although maybe not all "expert only" terrain.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Resort!

We have stayed at this place twice during the summer season. Tons and Tons of activities but you have to pay a lot of money for most of them. Try Tripadvisor.com for various reviews (as well as tips) regarding this place. Family friendly.

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went for four days after Christmas. My boys are 12 and 9. They had great time at the ski camp. We always do ski trips during Christmas time. My 9 year old dreaded going to ski trips until after this trip. He was in snowboarding camps every day and begged us to let him go back. Be prepared to pay extra $$$ though. We paid for the Smug. Advantage (?) fee to get discounts. We still end up paying over $1600 at check out. That did not include eating out. The ski condition was very good while we were there. That made the trip worth it.

We also enjoyed the North Hill pool, fun zone, bingo night, fun zone party, and hot chocolate after ski trip. My sister went to a snowshoe guided tour and said it was fun.

Reaction score
your kids will love Smuggs!

Ok, I may be biased, but i'm sure you will love smuggs.

All the info you will need is on their website www.smuggs.com - takes a while to find your way around the website but everythings there!

Not sure if your kids would need camp or lessons - whether camp is worthwhile or not partly depends on whether they will enjoy the afternoon entertainment or not - youngest one probably will. older two may be better off with group lessons or Max5 lessons.

I would recommend a couple of days of camp/lessons so you get to know the trails and glades - the top part of many 'blue' trails at smuggs would be considered a 'black' many other places, especially if there's ice rather than fresh snow. The trail destriptions on the 'interactive trial map' on the smuggs website give a good idea of what to expect for each one.

your kids will be fine skiing on thier own without you - the trails are all well signposted and if they do get into difficulties the ski patrol, or a passing instructor, will always be willing to help out.

Cell phones may work in the village, depends on which network you use, but may not work at the base lodge. we use walkie-talkies to keep in touch with our kids, or meet at a prearranged time/place periodically.

The terrain parks are all open now, so the boarders should have fun!

you will need to purchase a 'smuggs pass' ($175 total) which gives you access to all the resort activities and facilities, plus discounts off rentals & lessons.

If you are staying on North Hill, West Hill or Highlands Hill you will also have access to the facilities on your 'hill'.

There is a teen center which the older two may enjoy - 12 yr olds can go until 8pm.
The 8 yr old won't be allowed in the swim pool or fun zone without an adult, but the 12 yr olds will be.
For all the kids its perfectly safe for them to travel aorund the resort on thier own using the resort shuttles - my kids have done so since they were 5 or 6.

Grocery shopping in the resort is limited, but there's a Grand Union in Johnson (about 20 mins drive) where you can buy most things.
dining options are also pretty limited in the resort, but we find we manage perfectly well on takeout pizza on the nights we don't cook.

Other tips?
keep an eye on your account every couple of days, the smuggs reservations system has many 'quirks' and all the staff use it differently. Or, if you prefer, pay for everything as you book it - makes things easier when you check out!

all the staff are very helpful - to the extent that they will sometimes answer your question even if they don't know the answer!

make sure you see Marko the magician on the Wednesday - after 6 years we still can't work out many of his tricks!

you will likely be skiing mostly on Sterling/Madonna - best food is in the Black Bear Tavern in the Base Lodge, though service can be slow. Its fine for kids to be in there on thier own if they are waiting to meet you.

The lifts are very, very, very slow!! Wrap the kids up warm, with lots of hand warmers in their gloves - they'll need it sitting still for 15 minutes or more!

If you need rental equipment, try to visit the rental shop late in an afternoon - its quieter then. The rental equipment is mostly ok, they have lots of new boots & skis this season. You may prefer to rent 'demo' equipment from the Base Lodge - you can change this as often as you like to try out different stuff.

Would thoroughly recommend the snowmobile tour into the Notch. Its expensive, but fun if you've never done this before.

If you need a day away from the slopes, I would recommend the Ben & Jerrys factory tour.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My kids loved the funZone, also we went on a day trip to Canada, it was a nice diversion, also wanted to do snowmobiling but didn't have any time left. We are going back next year, can't wait. They have a 1 in 4 rule so its been awhile since we've gone. Also, did you know Smuggs was on the Travel channel and one of the top 50 fun places for families to go?

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks to everyone for their excellent replies, especially Helen! this is great info and I have a better idea of what to pack now, including hand warmers. I am very keen on this trip now, even more than before.