• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cant afford timeshare having 3rd surgery soon.

Forever29

Reaction score
Help! Need to give away our timeshare to afford my 3rd surgery in the past year. Would like to get our Maintenance/points fee paid back to us if possible and we will pay transfer fees.

We owned Diamond Resorts "The Club" Silver Level 15,000 annual points
Currently have 28,600 points to use in 2014 at any place affiliated with The Club Membership you can use as a guest prior to final transfer of deed. After transfer you would own the Mystic Dunes flex week and 2,000 Points

Home Place: Mystic Dunes Resort
Kissimmee, FL
3 bedroom Lock off; flexible week every year
2014 Maintenance Fee $1,389.41
2014 points Fee $497.00

Please contact me if you can help. Thank you!

Last edited:

Forever29

Reaction score
We are giving it away to whoever can pay us back the 2014 fees and we pay transfer cost. Thank you!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You may also consider renting your week to cover the 2014 costs in hopes of getting back on your feet and using what you bought later.

We wish you well.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Silver Status and even ability to trade within "The Club" does not transfer upon resale. It reverts back to deeded unit. If it is not in a collection it won't transfer as points at all. If it has been added to a collection, then the points would be good in that collection only.

This is one of the reasons DRI units have almost no resale value. The new owner would have to buy a minimum of 2000 points (which are worth nothing on the resale market) for around $8000-$10000 in order to requalify this into The Club.

I don't think you are going to find anyone who will pay the 2014 MF's and transfer fees. I think you will be lucky to find someone willing to pay the transfer fee and start paying MF in 2015 without the 2014 points included for free.

I agree you would do better recouping the MF's by using your available points to make reservations to rent out.

Forever29

Reaction score
Passepartout - Thank you for the well wishes I truly do appreciate them.

tschwa2 - We converted the deeded unit into 13,000 DRI points. We bought an additional 2,000 points to reach the silver level 2 years ago. These are part of the Diamond Resorts US Collection. We went to Kauai two years ago before I had my surgeries and had no problems. Unfortunately traveling is out of my future for quite a while and money is tight.

Last edited:

Forever29

Reaction score
2nd thought:

We can give away our deeded timeshare to someone and all you would have to pay is the maintenance fee. You can then transfer to points with Diamond Correct? I am trying to understand all of my options.

If none can use the 2000 points we bought we can deed back the DRI points and let them go. Unfortunately we are out the assessment fee.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
2nd thought:

We can give away our deeded timeshare to someone and all you would have to pay is the maintenance fee. You can then transfer to points with Diamond Correct? I am trying to understand all of my options.

If none can use the 2000 points we bought we can deed back the DRI points and let them go. Unfortunately we are out the assessment fee.

I don't know much about DRI but I do know some systems severely limit the rights of resale owners. It certainly appears that many of the perks that you enjoy will not be enjoyed by anyone wishing to purchase your timeshare. The developers think that they are forcing buyers to them instead of the resale market. All they end up doing is hurting the resale of their own product. I am sure this isn't mentioned in any sales presentation.

This isn't much different than buying a new car and when you decide to sell it you realize that the stereo, air conditioning and sunroof all stop working. For good measure the car loses 8 mpg too. All because Chevy wants that buyer to buy a new car instead of your used car.

Here is just one thread discussing DRI and resale:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175840

Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might offer to LEASE the account for say 3-5 years to someone who will pay the MFs for you and you allow them to book off your account (as a guest). They would have access to your online account.

WHY would a person be interested in doing that? No upfront moneys to Diamond, better than any resale advantages (all that is lost by buying a resale), and a walk-away from the ownership in 3 to 5 years.

WHY would you do this? Immediately no MFs for a period of time but when you are better, you still have the option to continue your vacationing life.

WOULD a STRANGER do this? Sure ... I had such an arrangement for 18 months with a TOTAL stranger --- I used his login and booked away. Every 3 months, I sent him a check for the MFs. He was happy; I was happy. Decided I did NOT LIKE that system and we parted - no harm, no foul... I am sure it helped him by not having that bill every month.

Last edited:

Forever29

Reaction score
We just spoke with DRI, (actually called twice to make sure we got the same information) and this is what we were told:
We can transfer the 2014 week at Mystic Dunes and the 2,000 points. the Maintenance fee is $1,389.41 and the points fee drops to $497.00. The Club will not transfer hence the drop in points price. The title transfer fee is $100.00 and I would need to pay a fee of $250.00 for the transfer form to close the US Collection. There is a 45 day processing time.

If anyone is interested in owning this timeshare/points all we would request is that you pay the 2014 fees totaling $1886.41. We will pay all closing costs. Also as a bonus if you want to take a vacation in the next couple of months. We can let you use the 28,600 points we currently own and then complete the transfer of the deed.

Please note the only reason we are asking for the 2014 fees is to put it toward my surgery. We will forfeit the fees if we have to.

Thank you all again for all suggestions and the well wishes, I am very much appreciative.

Last edited:

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
You need to know what you're selling.

Passepartout - Thank you for the well wishes I truly do appreciate them.

tschwa2 - We converted the deeded unit into 13,000 DRI points. We bought an additional 2,000 points to reach the silver level 2 years ago. These are part of the Diamond Resorts US Collection. We could use all points in the club so why wouldn't a new owner? We went to Kauai two years ago before I had my surgeries and had no problems. Unfortunately traveling is out of my future for quite a while and money is tight.

It is very important that you understand what you have to sell and what you are giving to a new owner.

I am a DRI owner and have been since they took over Sunterra in 2004. For the record, Club membership does not transfer to the buyer,so your silver elite status should not be placed in the occasion. Any benefit that you receive as a silver elite member should not be mentioned because it will mean nothing to the new owner.

If you converted your units to points, that can mean you don't have a deed any more. You need to check to see if you still have a deed or not. Conversion would indicate you gave the property to DRI and chose points instead. That needs to be clarified. Rumour also has it that DRI is selling the golf course at Mystic Dunes. You should verify that so the potential owner who is a golfer understands that that may no longer be a possibility. A new owner can only use resorts in the US Collection. They won't be able to travel to Hawaii resorts or Europe.

You also need to check with DRI about any buyback programs. On their website they have consistently stated that they are not buying back. I do know that there are some who have sold their fully paid off timeshare mortgage that have given back their timeshare to DRI for a fee, but I know many, many others that have been denied.

Forever29

Reaction score
csalter2 - We did contact DRI today they do not do buy backs. As part of the Club we could convert our deed week to points and use to trade for other places. Please note I have updated the original post and see my post #9 after speaking with DRI directly:

We can transfer the 2014 week at Mystic Dunes and the 2,000 points. the Maintenance fee is $1,389.41 and the points fee drops to $497.00. The Club will not transfer hence the drop in points price. The title transfer fee is $100.00 and I would need to pay a fee of $250.00 for the transfer form to close the US Collection. There is a 45 day processing time.
If anyone is interested in owning this timeshare/points all we would request is that you pay the 2014 fees totaling $1886.41. We will pay all closing costs. Also as a bonus if you want to take a vacation in the next couple of months. We can let you use the 28,600 points we currently own and then complete the transfer of the deed.

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your mileage may vary

Sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you want to completely divest yourself from this TS, rather than recoup near term fees until you can get well enough to use it again (going the route Linda suggested in post #8).

If that is the case, you may be able to pay transfer fees and be lucky enough to find a buyer willing to pay 2014 fees. Just be aware that there are sellers who may need to prepay the buyer's fees for the next 1-2 years (see the following ebay listing).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-500-DIAM...41197174809?pt=Timeshares&hash=item20e001e819

I'm not saying you have to, but be prepared for the contingency. I suggest listing your current desired terms, but begin following ebay auctions for DRI to see which ones are truly selling and for how much. If you can't move it with buyer paying 2014 fees, after a while you can sweeten the deal further.

I wish you the best of luck and a successful recovery.

Forever29

Reaction score
Thank you uscav8r. Between the surgeries there is months of physical therapy. Hence the no traveling for me. Thank you for the well wishes.

After calling DRI today I am more hopeful about transferring the deed and the 2000 points to someone who can truly use it. We bought in 2000 and did take 2 vacations every year someplace warm, usually Florida, in the winter as we have relatives there. We did go to Kauai 2 years ago and we usually went UP Michigan or Colorado in the summers as we have friends who live out there. Unfortunately my accident has put a stop to all of our travel and is draining our bank account. But when life hands you lemons your supposed to make lemonade, so I keep on stirring. :)

The way that DRI explained the transfers to me today sounds pretty straight forward. So I will keep my hopes up that the right person will want to take over this timeshare. We enjoyed it while we could use it.

Last edited: