• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Government Shutdown? My Upcoming Week Has Been Furloughed

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Wow. So, I have been informed that if we do shutdown tonight, I still have to report to work as 'essential' and my upcoming scheduled vacation to use my 2011 MGV week is cancelled. So, I may need to make hasty adjustments. I am supposed to arrive Sunday, April 17th. What are my options? (I do have an II membership.) :confused:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. So, I have been informed that if we do shutdown tonight, I still have to report to work as 'essential' and my upcoming scheduled vacation to use my 2011 MGV week is cancelled. So, I may need to make hasty adjustments. I am supposed to arrive Sunday, April 17th. What are my options? (I do have an II membership.) :confused:

Give it too a poor member here who may not have thought they'd be able to take a vacation this year...Rent it in the Rental section here for Under $700, Give it to the first person that posts in your thread as a prize!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Ugh.....I'm sorry to hear this news -- I'm afraid your options will be limited (any chance you have vacation insurance? I wonder if U.S. government shutdown is an Excluded Item from an insurance policy :) ).

If you deposit your week into II, you'll still be able to use that deposit for two years from your check-in date, however I believe you're limited to only a FlexChange deposit, so anything you use that week on would have to be within 60 days of travel.

I don't believe there are better options, but others may chime in...

Good luck to you...

Greg

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Give it too a poor member here who may not have thought they'd be able to take a vacation this year...Rent it in the Rental section here for Under $700, Give it to the first person that posts in your thread as a prize!

Thanks for the creative suggestions. :clap:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ugh.....I'm sorry to hear this news -- I'm afraid your options will be limited (any chance you have vacation insurance? I would if U.S. government shutdown is an Excluded Item from an insurance policy :) ).

If you deposit your week into II, you'll still be able to use that deposit for two years from your check-in date, however I believe you're limited to only a FlexChange deposit, so anything you use that week on would have to be within 60 days of travel.

Good luck to you...

Greg

Thanks for the advice. If my week does turn into a pumpkin at midnight, I will first reach out to Marriott and see what cancellation/rescheduling assistance (if any) I can get from them. Assuming none, II was what I considered as a back-up plan - but I wasn't sure how to actually do the deposit (still inexperienced in II terms). I have dealt with II flexchanges, and have had good luck with my most recent one, so I'm not overly put off by that as an option. At least I will not have forfeited the week.

:deadhorse:

Legend - Horse (me) / Smiley (Congress) / Stick (You guessed it)

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh.....I'm sorry to hear this news -- I'm afraid your options will be limited (any chance you have vacation insurance? I would if U.S. government shutdown is an Excluded Item from an insurance policy :) ).

Good luck to you...

Greg

If I am not mistaken, the OP won't be able to deposit his week into Interval International because I.I. won't take a week if the check in date is less than 15 days (at least that was how it was explained to me some years ago).

Keep us all posted, and best of luck with your situation.

By the way, my money is on NO GOVERNMENT SHUT DOWN, but I've also been know to bet on the wrong horse :hysterical:

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what department you work for, but I too work for the Feds and as an Air Traffic Controller will be considered essential and have to report to work in a no-pay status. We were briefed that if you are scheduled for any leave, that you will have the option to cancel the leave and report to work in a no-pay status or management will cancel the leave and place you on furlough. If you are required to report to work in a no-pay status then you will be paid when the CR or budget is passed. If you are furloughed most likely you will be paid when the CR or budget passes. We were told if you take voluntary furlough ( keep your scheduled leave) you may or may not be paid as it could be considered a voluntary furlough. My experience in my 27 years at this with 3 shut downs is that everyone is paid at signing. In at least one case I know of a 2 week vacation being back paid with no charge to leave. I think worst case is you take voluntary furlough and when the political bickering ends they charge you annual leave and you will be paid. Remember no federal employee will be paid during the shut down whether or not you have to report to work. It would seem if they allowed you to schedule leave next week, you should still be able to go. My money says they shut down for the weekend and Monday. Monday night they sign a Continuing Resolution and everything is back to normal on tuesday.

Last edited:

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fogot to mention, congress and the senate are exempt from the shut down. They receive full pay and per diem while holding 800,000 workers livelihood hostage for political gain. The system is broke!!

wof45

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, the OP won't be able to deposit his week into Interval International because I.I. won't take a week if the check in date is less than 15 days (at least that was how it was explained to me some years ago).

I would give II a call.
We just cancelled our St Thomas arrival on April 30th, the have a 60 day advance, one year deposit. (basically a flexchange, but it only let's us look 60 days out, so no Marriott preference).

They said they also have a shorter term for later cancellation -- like 30 days advance, so it might be worth it, or maybe not since that is not much time to plan and probably not many good trades available.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist posting this photo of the House of representatives hard at work...
Click on it to enlarge

Attachments

• democracy.jpg
    democracy.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 67

equitax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hate to sound Teamster-like

But are there provisions in your work agreements as to what happens if your vacation is rescheduled at the behest of your employer?

Thanks for the advice. If my week does turn into a pumpkin at midnight, I will first reach out to Marriott and see what cancellation/rescheduling assistance (if any) I can get from them. Assuming none, II was what I considered as a back-up plan - but I wasn't sure how to actually do the deposit (still inexperienced in II terms). I have dealt with II flexchanges, and have had good luck with my most recent one, so I'm not overly put off by that as an option. At least I will not have forfeited the week.

:deadhorse:

Legend - Horse (me) / Smiley (Congress) / Stick (You guessed it)

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
PAtience... you have a week

I too am a government employee .. however I am not essential :annoyed: . I cannot believe they (CONGRESS) will let this government shutdown last a week. I would have been more concerned (if I were you checking in on April 17) if they would have had a 1 week CR (continuing resolution) that ended on April 15. If it were me I would sit tight.

OF course I love Hilton Head and I would be willing take the risk of losing a $700 short term rental. :shrug:

Luckybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dont know if this helps but from personal experience I.I has in some circumstances taken deposits within the 14 day mark. I dont know what the criteria is for making an exception(ie pending requests?) , but they were very good about doing so(8 days out) in our case(serious medical issue) about 6 years ago!

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Call II in the morning. 80% chance they will take it

Ask to speak to a supervisor if at first you do not succeed. Explain situation out of your control, govt shutdown etc. They have taken back exhanges for me at last minuite due to circumstances outside my control. Act on this tomorrow. You can save you week!

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rep. Jack Hennessy, a Bridgeport Democrat, has had his picture displayed around the Internet as one of two Connecticut legislators playing solitaire during a state budget debate.

In a letter to Bridgeport residents, Hennessy apologized as follows:

"It was certainly bad judgment for me to play a computer game even for just a few minutes during the final House session on the budget. I am embarrassed, and I apologize to each and every person in the North End and to people across the state.

"My actions were inexcusable. I do want my constituents to know that my poor judgment for a few moments on Monday in no way means I ignored your interests in representing you on this very serious matter. Over the past seven months, as a member of the General Assembly's Finance Committee, I have participated fully in the budget process and have played an active role in crafting a budget that provides the necessary services that our communities so desperately need while at the same time minimizing any negative impact on the city of Bridgeport and its people.

"I sincerely apologize to each of you. I look forward to having the continued privilege of representing you and your interests in Hartford. I thank you in advance for your understanding and have been humbled by those of you who have already expressed your understanding and forgiveness.''

And BTW I sure hope you get to go on your vacation.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like a deal was struck well into the last hour to keep the Gummint running. OP's vacation is on! Have a good one!

Jim Ricks

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
12 Hours and counting to OLD (one long drive) launch. We are Orlando bound. Thanks for all the good advice. May come in handy for next FY's shutdown. :ignore: