• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do with End of Year extra points

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Due to a late year resale purchase and doing some rebook / cancels toward the 4th quarter we will have about 140,000 Wyndham points left over this year (more than we even have left in 2016). These points were not available in June when we could have placed them in the Pool at our VIP level.

It seems I could deposit them into RCI or possibly try to speculate on a resort for rental. I am doubtful I can 'flip' a rental with only a 3 month window and no knowledge of demand or ARP reservation power or market presence / reputation. Any advice or help there would be appreciated.

As for RCI deposit, I have read a thread where someone suggested placing into RCI in smaller chunks (as small as 25000 points?) in hopes that when RCI is deciding whether to give up a week for that chunk, they would let it go for that if nobody else wanted it. Is there truth to this? Probably would not work for higher demand units. Or should I just deposit all the points in one chunk into RCI?

Bob

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
someone suggested placing into RCI in smaller chunks
This sounds like the "old" exchange system where you got week placeholders for each Wyndham deposit. Now, you just have a pool of points, so chunking does not help in the same way. There are some VIP perks about deposit seasons, though, so that is worth checking into.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
This looks like a fact of life since Wyndham eliminated multiple use years. I lost about 300K last year, all the result of rebooking and late cancellations.

Right now, I have no points that expire on December 31 but I have seventeen unrented reservations between now and the end of the year. Those reservations total almost 1.9 million points. Some but not all will sell. Fire sale time!

Depositing with RCI won't help much. Can't rent and can't possibly use the resulting exchanges.

Last edited:

iaminak

Reaction score
I thought there were other options that could be done with left over points. Nothing that is worth it if vacationing/renting is an option but worth looking at vs. losing them - such as transferring to reward points to pay maintenance fees??

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought there were other options that could be done with left over points. Nothing that is worth it if vacationing/renting is an option but worth looking at vs. losing them - such as transferring to reward points to pay maintenance fees??

Before the start of the use year.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Before the start of the use year.

I think this can be done up to 3 months into your use year.
With VIP benefits this can be done 6, 9 or 12 months into the year depending on VIP level.

But the exchange rate is $2.10 per thousand points which is less than half a years maintenance fee at most resorts.

Also cannot be done with points purchased within the last 90 days.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this can be done up to 3 months into your use year.
With VIP benefits this can be done 6, 9 or 12 months into the year depending on VIP level.

But the exchange rate is $2.10 per thousand points which is less than half a years maintenance fee at most resorts.

Also cannot be done with points purchased within the last 90 days.

I was referring to transferring to rewards points. Which is not a bad deal if you have enough points.

iaminak

Reaction score
How do you do this?

so, if I'm understanding right, if you have 9,000 points left over and it's too late to pool them, you can at least use them for $18.90 towards maintenance fees due?

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was referring to transferring to rewards points. Which is not a bad deal if you have enough points.

Ok - so I see its 400 rewards points for every 1000 wyndham resort points. So to get 15000 rewards points (one night fully paid) would use 37500 wyndham resort points. Rules say transaction costs $99. Not a great value but another option if done on time.

We seem to accumulate a lot of rewards points through credit card use. Have also been using the option of only using 3500 rewards points while still paying a little cash for nightly hotel stays.

Bob