• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shark Attacks

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agoraphobia has its advantages.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As a resident of southern California who does not live near cattle and rarely drives in areas where a cow could even be crossing the road while I am driving, I am definitely not more than 20 times more likely to be killed by a cow than a shark.

These kinds of statistics are silly. They are based on the population as a whole. What about those 58 killed by bees and wasps? What percentage had some kind of allergy to bee stings? How many were from a single sting vs a swarm. I am more worried about dying from a shark attack than from a bee sting.

Obviously a high percentage of those killed by cows work or live on farms. I don't plan to hike in the woods, so bears and elk are not a concern. I do visit the beach, so sharks a a concern and certainly not an irrational fear. Not saying I wouldn't swim in the ocean, we don't do it very often. I won't be looking over my shoulder every second worried about sharks. The chances are still slim. If I bought a lottery ticket, my chances of winning are better than a shark bite. But I don't play, so I actually have a better chance of being attacked by a shark!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
These kinds of statistics are silly... Obviously a high percentage of those killed by cows work or live on farms. I don't plan to hike in the woods, so bears and elk are not a concern. I do visit the beach, so sharks are a concern and certainly not an irrational fear...

You've probably been caught out in the rain.
In coastal U.S. states, lightning strikes & kills more than 37 people each year. The US averages 19 shark attacks each year and one shark-attack fatality every two years. -- National Geographic. :ponder:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

Jim Bryan

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Grew up swimming and surfing in the Atlantic and Gulf. Don't much go into the water anymore.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know we are swimming in "their" home. When I said it was crazy I meant there are more attacks this year than ever before. Statistically the likelihood of being bitten by a shark is nil to none, I'm just saying this year seems to be different and I'm an ocean lover. shaggy

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
The fact that so many of these attacks are happening in hip-high water is the most disturbing part. Someone posted a video on Facebook recently showing a shark thrashing on a beach in water no deeper than 2 feet.

I also read an article claiming the reason why so many sharks are coming closer to the shore is that they are forced to find food because the ocean is over-fished.

I typically spend several weeks in the Caribbean and love being in the ocean, whether floating on a raft for hours or just chilling/treading water, and although I still do it, I must admit, it's with some trepidation.

slabeaume

Reaction score
Some friends and I were playing around in the ocean by Deerfield Beach a couple weeks ago when a good sized shark swam right by us. I wonder how many times that's happened when we didn't happen to see it?!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Some friends and I were playing around in the ocean by Deerfield Beach a couple weeks ago when a good sized shark swam right by us. I wonder how many times that's happened when we didn't happen to see it?!

When I lived in San Diego I went in the ocean a lot. My attitude and awareness changed when the evening news had a report of a shark sighting. The announcer said, "If you've been swimming in the ocean here, and you've never seen a shark, rest assured: At least one shark has seen YOU."

Yikes!! :eek:

Dave