• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruise in Caribbean?

uop1497

Reaction score
Hello :hi:

I need your advise again. I am planning my caribbean cruise for next spring . I have a few questions

a) Do I need to carry my passport with me for entering and exiting Puerto Rico . We will fly into SJU airport and exit Puerto Rico in the same airport

b) My cruise is 7 days long and we will flying a day before the cruise departure day. I will land at midnight. Is it safe to catch a taxi from airport to Hotel at this late hour. If anyone know a good and trusted shuttle company, please share the information

c) Do I need to take any immunization shot before my trip. If so, what kind is needed .We (DH and me) will stay a total of 9 days in Caribbean (7 days for cruising the southern part of caribbean plus an extra day before flying home) . I still unsure if it is worthy to stay an extra day after my cruise

d) Any problem of bringing my old medication just in case we will need it

e) When making the cruise reservation, carnival website showing only first and last name listed for guest information. Both of our name has ( first, Middle, last) and the passport shows our first name is listed together with our middle name. I just wonder how I should enter my first name when making reservation with Carnival? I do not understand why it is very confusing when seeing our name listed different on the passport while other documents show clearly first, last, and middle name

f) Can you please recommend the area to book hotel stay. I am looking for a decent & clean hotel in the safe area which has easy access to restaurant and stores . We will not have a car on this trip.

g) Please suggest what we can do in 1 day if we stay an extra day (after the cruise) and what we can buy to bring back as a gift for relative. Should we buy some liquor like local RUM .

Thank you for reading my long post .

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For the very best cruise info, the best place is www.cruisecritic.com go to the Roll Calls (under 'Community'), and look for your cruise . Line and sailing date. You can 'meet' other people who will be on the same cruise as you. They will be setting up shore excursions, meet n' greets, and stuff at lower cost than the cruise line. You may well find others who will be arriving on the same flights to share a hotel shuttle with. Cruisecritic is the TUG of cruises.

You don't need passports for flying in and out of Puerto Rico, BUT you DO need them for the cruise.

Enter your information the same as it is on your passport.

You will want to stay in Old San Juan. That is the most interesting area, and it is where the cruise ship terminal is. There is a nice hotel very nearby- walking distance even with bags, but I don't remember (Sheraton, Marriott, Hilton) which it is. Someone on CC will. There is much to do/see for several days in OSJ and no car is needed or wanted. There is a free bus that just circles the only town.

I have taken a similar cruise, (on NCL) and you will have a good time. I wouldn't take Carnival, but that's just me.

Jim

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
a) Do I need to carry my passport with me for entering and exiting Puerto Rico?

You need it for the cruise. The will ask to see it when you board the ship.

b) Is it safe to catch a taxi from airport to Hotel at this late hour?

I'd take a taxi... Fares are reasonable.
But you can check www.viator.com for shuttle services.

c) Do I need to take any immunization shot before my trip?

No.

d) Any problem of bringing my old medication?

If it's expired (over a year old), you need to toss it.
Otherwise, bring it in it's bottle or a copy of the Rx.
Having Rx meds w/o evidence of an Rx can get you arrested.

e) I just wonder how I should enter my first name when making reservation with Carnival?

You can always call Carnival (use a phone?) to clear up your confusion.
Prior to your cruise, Carnival will ask you for your passport information.

f) Can you please recommend the area to book a hotel stay?

The Sheraton Old San Juan is a short walk from the cruse port.
You can watch the taxis pull up, while you leisurely cross the street.

g) Please suggest what we can do in 1 day if we stay an extra day (after the cruise) and what we can buy to bring back as a gift for relative.

Touring Old San Juan is easy using the free trolley. Dining out is a treat.
See: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/
Spend a few hours at the old fort... Castillo San Felipe del Morro.
You can also tour the Barcardi distillery, but its a bit difficult to get to.

I would definitely stay an extra day, so as not to feel rushed disembarking.
It can be delayed, making the port a mad-house.
Souvenirs: Unless you want to lug around a Barcardi rum sampler, bring back T-shirts.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim gave you the best place to read about cruising. The website is the cruising expert like this web site is the expert in timeshare. We enjoy sailing on Disney and Celebrity Cruise Line.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's the specific itinerary? For liquor, you will need to put it in your suitcase, so think about padding and WEIGHT. Limit your purchase to quality items with large price advantage.

You will be overwhelmed with diamond, emerald and gold peddlers. There are great bargains to be had, but you can also be had. Shop at home to recognize quality and pricing before you leave.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

uop1497

Reaction score
Thank you all for wonderful suggestion. I will check the cruisecritic.com
I have 3 more months to read and gather information. I hope we will have a good times on this cruise .

Regarding T-shirt, when we visit Hawaii last time, I brought T-shirt back as a gift . I do not see my relative wear it. So, I decide to get something else on this trip . I was told I should buy Rum and bring back as a gift. Not sure If any problem to bring liquor back to US .

I will contact Carnival to have my name change to match with my US passport .

Jim,

If you do not mind, can you please share some tip regarding cruise excursion base on your NCL cruise. I briefly take a look at that website and overwhelm with a lot of information :confused:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each U.S. citizen can bring in one liter of liquor duty free. I'm not sure of the rules from P.R, because it's U.S. territory. Obviously it has to be packed inside checked luggage.

No point looking at NCL website if you are cruising on Carnival. I refuse to use the cruiseline's shore excursions unless there is no other option. On the relatively small islands you'll be visiting on this cruise, if you don't find some of the other passengers arranging what interests you (on the cruisecritic Roll Call), just hire a taxi for the few hours you are in the ports. You can see the same sights you'd see from a bus, and have a private guide.