• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exotic Travelers on RCI?

Treehorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just returned from El Dorado Casitas Royal in the Mayan Riviera. We went through a tour operator for our Anniversary. As I am sure most of you know they are part of the Exotic Travelers Club (I know not a traditional timeshare).

We enjoyed the resort so much that we did agree to go to the sales pitch but did not buy. Actually we got out pretty quick with our $150 spa vouchers. I think the sales person got the message pretty quickly that he was not going to get me to buy so he wanted to move on to a new lead.

For the big money they want you to pay you get an approximately $1000/visit savings (if lucky) and a few perks. For me, not worth the upfront investment. However I don’t think it’s possible to book their presidential suites through a tour operator, they say there for members only.

Anyway I read a few places that exchange club members such as RCI can get access to this resort fairly cheap through RCI Last Call and RCI Extra Vacations. I’m wondering if this is true and can I become an RCI member if I do not own a timeshare, just to access last call and extra vacations?

Otherwise I guess I could buy weeks from club owners. There seems to be a number of Exotic Travelers members online looking to recoup some of there investment.

Thanks,

Andrew

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You have to own a timeshare to join RCI, but the market is flooded with rentals in Mexico, so you shouldn't have any problem finding a rental.

Last edited:

Treehorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been reading this site for some time doing resarch before buying a timeshare (not a vacation club as I discussed above) and there seems to be two conflicting idologies.

1. Buy where you want to travel often and if you get good trades its a bonus
2. People who own "traders" and rarely or never go to thier home properties

Is it realistic to fine a valuable trader on the reasale market to trade into places like Atlantis, Disney, Barbados, Europe, etc?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is no magic trader that will get you into all resorts, because trading isn't just about the value of your deposit - it is highly dependant on the availability of the top resorts. For the most part, the top resorts don't get deposited by owners very often, because the maintenance fees are high, and people use them or rent them for big bucks.

Atlantis - with maintenance fees in the $2,000 - $3,000+ range, there are very few Atlantis weeks depoisted with II. To have any chance of getting Atlantis, you'd need to use a trader from the same group (Starwood) and you'd have to travel during hurricane season.

Disney - Disney is exclusively with RCI - so you need an RCI trader with enough points to trade into Disney.

Europe - Europe has some availability off season (when it's cold) but there is far more demand, than supply for warm summer weeks.

Mexico is an easy trade all the time, and a cheap rental - I would never buy there.

Treehorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

The more I research it I think I might be better off just sticking with renting off of TUG members.

I did Atlantis rental a year ago from a TUG member for much less than you quoted in maint fees.