• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] Lodges Timeshare at Horseshoe

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Occupy Horseshoe?

The local newspaper compares the Horseshoe Resort developer, Skyline, to Wall Street bankers kicking around the little guy and makes a final reference to an occupation of Horseshoe. I guess the timeshare owners and their supporters would have to pitch their tents and occupy 4th Line Park.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
The local newspaper I guess the timeshare owners and their supporters would have to pitch their tents and occupy 4th Line Park.

It is scandalous what Skyline is doing to the Lodges owners...and of course a concern to us owners of TS units in Carriage Hills/Ridge complex which share the same grounds. But Maple Leaf, don't suggest a camp out on our beautiful new OMTC tennis courts! :) Lodges owners would best pitch their tents on the Horseshoe grounds where they would be more of a nuisance!

CSB

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am reluctant to post at this point because I am worried that people will take this the wrong way but.....

What I see here is a very unfortunate circumstance for the Lodges owners. More and more people were defaulting on the maintenance payments. That leaves two choices. The rest of the owners have to come up with more money to keep the resort up to standard or keep the maintenance the same and have the resort deteriorate further and further each year.

From Skyline's point of view they would probably have preferred no defaults and owners to maintain the building to high standards. But defaults happened and the remaining owners are unhappy and unable to make up for the cost of running the Lodges properly. Skyline is spending millions to make their resort a destination and they have a decision to make. Should they pay thousands of dollars to keep the Lodges running and allow the owners to pay a fraction of the cost? Why should they do that? From a business prospective, they would want to take over and keep the property they own looking good.

If you rent an apartment with 2 other people and then they leave, does the landlord expect you to come up with the rent money or do they take pity and eat the expense?

I am heart broken for the owners and I realize that I might be in the same position some day if Carriage Hills owners were to default on mass but I would not blame someone else for my circumstances.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
The Owners Strike Back

It looks like a group of owners at the Lodges at Horseshoe have formed the Timeshare Owners Association (TSOA) and have a new website. It appears the TSOA have retained an attorney and are pursuing litigation against Skyline and possibly the attorney that was involved in creation of the Minutes of Settlement. Current and former owners at the Lodges may want to read the news from the TSOA committee.

If you are a former owner of one or more weeks at Horseshoe and want further information on any civil (or criminal) action, you may want to contact the TSOA.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Lawsuit Against Skyline

The following is an update on the progress of the lawsuit against Skyline in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice by a bunch of former Lodges timesharers:

Applicants record to be delivered by March 16
Respondents record to be delivered by April 16
Case conference with Justice Campbell to be held by May 15, 2012

While the wheels of justice grind slowly, the Lodges building stands vacant, a silent monument to the folly of Ontario timesharing.

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought a condo last weekend at their new condo development they are building at the bottom of the slopes.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
And probably paid way to much for it, just like friends of mine who bought at Carriage Hills when it was starting up. (ie; they bought from the developer).
~Diane

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
The condo was $200k for 650 sqf, 1 bedroom, 1 parking, locker and balcony.

CSB

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Have the Lodges at Horseshoe gone through a renovation and now being sold as condos or have they built new condos at the bottom of the ski hill. I was there in December and didn't see any new buildings.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
The Lodges are still being used?

There is some evidence that the Lodges timeshares are continuing to be used by Skyline as rentals, although apparently with limited maintenance of the units:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserR...e_Resort-Barrie_Ontario.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

“Not impressed!”

Reviewed 26 March 2012

It felt like I had entered the 80's! The room was spacious but very dated. Firstly, they did not have a second key to give me. I was waiting for friends to meet me and could not get into the room because another key was not available. There was still garbage left from the last occupants left on the balcony/sun room. The dishwasher leaked water all over the floor. We had to call the front desk for more towels, a lighter to light the fire and sugar for coffee in the morning. There were no sheets left for the pullout couch. The heat was not controlled well and was very noisy. On a positive side, the kitchen was well stocked and had a large fridge. The room was not worth $300 for one night. The best part was I had a great time catching up with friends. Apparantly they are beginning renovations at the resort which is badly needed.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Awful Awful Awful

The above title was borrowed from a June 4 review of the Lodges on Tripadvisor. Based on this review and several others on TripAdvisor it appears Skyline is renting the Lodges units for about $300/night but they are not maintaining or cleaning the units on a regular basis. What a ripoff but, hey, that's Skyline!

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the link to Horseshoe's range of accomodation starting at $185/night. I would ask a lot of questions before booking the Valley Suite 2 Bedroom condos! Skyline may not be keeping all their units up to par, but at least the grounds are being well maintained! Anyone know how the new condo sales are going?

http://www.horseshoeresort.com/accommodations

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Meeting on October 13

The Horseshoe Valley Timeshare Owners Association (HVTOA) is having a general meeting on Saturday, October 13 at 11:00 a.m. at the St. John's Presbyterian Church in Bradford, Ontario. Their attorney in the lawsuit against Skyline, Mark Arnold, will be in attendance to update all owners.

If you used to own at the Lodges at Horseshoe before Skyline terminated the timeshare then you may want to attend. Remember, the shysters at Skyline still owe us (former) owners our pro-rata share of the refurbishment fund. I am due a cheque from these crooks but am not holding my breath.:mad:

You can contact the HVTOA here.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
One more week

The last I heard, a judge was scheduled to hear the case against Skyline on December 19 at Commercial Court in Toronto, at 330 University Ave. If you are interested in attending, check the Commercial Court List early on Dec 19 here for the scheduled courtroom.

Make sure you check the website before attending because Skyline's clown-car brigade of lawyers are likely to try to pull some delaying tactics to postpone the hearing once again.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Court date moved to Feb 4, 2013

The HVTSOA has announced that the court date has been moved to February 4, 2013 to allow time for settlement negotiations between Skyline and the owners.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
any update on this...looks like the court date was last month?

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Brian there was no court - it was changed to a case conference meeting as described here; http://lodgesathorseshoe.com/News.php. There has been nothing further in any of our local papers. It will be interesting to see what is the outcome when all is settled.
~Diane

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
An Update

any update on this...looks like the court date was last month?

According to the owner website, it appears that a mediation session is scheduled for May 16 between the timeshare owners' lawyer and Skyline's lawyer. If an acceptable offer is put forward an owners vote may be required.

If mediation fails, a court date is set for July 29, 2013.

zilentbob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interested in the outcome here.

Any news from anyone involved in this ? (now that it's 2015) :D

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I haven't seen anything further in our local newspapers since this ( http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2012/03/27/timeshare-fight-headed-to-court ). I don't know when the court date is or was.

It seems that Skyline has renovated the building & is renting out the condos on the Horseshoe Resort site ( http://www.horseshoeresort.com/barrie-condos-rooms.htm ) as either "slope side condos" or "premier slope side" condos, starting at $129/night.

It would be interesting to find out if any of the timeshare owners got anything out of the dissolving of the timeshare.

~Diane

adrake9156

Reaction score
HVHOA and Skyline

I have been following Horseshoe Valley HOA vs. Skyline. Now that everything has just "Faded away". All traces have been erased as if nothing happened. My opinion ,unless I hear otherwise, is a settlement was reached:
The outcome- Lawyers filthy rich.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Skyline has finally renovated the Lodges at Horseshoe and has renamed them the Slopeside Condos. They appear to be marketed as a condo hotel with up to three weeks personal use per year. Prices are $446,028 to $536,174.

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/slopeside-condos#image-All-1

Sneaky real estate developers and their lackeys can steal the property of long-established Canadian timeshare owners and re-sell for millions. The rich continue to get richer. O Canada!

Last edited: