• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Freedom-Where to file a complaint?

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased a SDO float week 1-52 from Resort access network (lots of AKA's) and was told the closing company was timeshare freedom. The prior title and deed had problems and they have been slow to correct, and difficult to communicate with. I have attempted to contact both Sarah and Darren as previously recommended on another thread (where is Dharmesh Patel?) but have not been able to either speak with them, or obtain a response to email inquiries. The closing has taken longer than 90 days as advertised. The corrected deed has been finally recorded. I have asked for both closing costs and 2008 MF's to be refunded given the difficulties. I just got off the phone with Tammy who was so rude, yelling at me, not listening, telling me "they had no obligation to help clear up the deed problems, but they did." as I didn't buy title insurance or request a title search. When I told her I was a tug member it seemed to make her even more irate. She denied that there was any relationship between their company, timeshare freedom, and resort access network, aside form doing some of the closing work for them. I am so disgusted I think I would like to file a complaint but really don't know where to go with this. The week has recorded. Once starwood lists me as owner, as I have to use this in 2008 (EOY) I guess I will take whatever reservation I can still get in '08 and deposit with II.

I have already filed an ebay complaint but the seller dharmesh patel has left the country and timeshare freedom would not be listed under negative feedback. They did do their job, albeit slowly, but have been so difficult through the process. There must be other closing companies out there that are easier to work with.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
So sorry for your problems. I am sure the problems have everything to do with the recent information we have about Dharmesh Patel. :( Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. I don't know why some people are doubting that the guy stole money????

Timeshare Freedom Inc
Catergories: Vacation Rentals & Time Shares
28 Industrial Blvd

Cleveland GA 30528-6739
Phone: 706-348-1405

The state of Georgia's Attorney General's office; the BBB (though some will criticize that suggestion), and the real estate commission in the state that governs title companies.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Jim C

TUG Member
Reaction score
So sorry for your problems. I am sure the problems have everything to do with the recent information we have about Dharmesh Patel. :( Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. I don't know why some people are doubting that the guy stole money????

I don't think there is anyone who doubts this guy stole money. When you see sources such as the one who sent you his signed confession via email, you really need to consider that to be somewhat questionable.

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well Timeshare Freedom finally came through. They pulled some strings and got SVN to finally record me as an SDO owner of my week, and apparently the corrected deeds finally recorded. I can't say they did it gracefully, but the deal is done. Considering all the obstacles in the way, and the length of time it took, I did ask for a refund of closing costs but they declined. I am just glad the process is over. I may have made a nuisance of myself, but if I didn't keep on top of it I really doubt this deal would have closed before the new year.

ctyatty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think your request is ridiculous

You say: "The corrected deed has been finally recorded. I have asked for both closing costs and 2008 MF's to be refunded given the difficulties."

I think your request was ridiculous, you got what you paid for, now you want close to a thousand bucks because of the delay! Some people are hard to please or another way as my dad used to say, some people aren't worth doing business with.

Last edited:

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
You say: "The corrected deed has been finally recorded. I have asked for both closing costs and 2008 MF's to be refunded given the difficulties."

I think your request was ridiculous, you got what you paid for, now you want close to a thousand bucks because of the delay! Some people are hard to please or another way as my dad used to say, some people aren't worth doing business with.

Dear ctyatty:

If you have been following this thread and related ones, you will know, that certain promises are made when an interval is offered for purchase on ebay. In this case that a clear title would be provided, and close would occur within 90 days. Whether these promises are made in good faith or not is hard to tell. I accept them at face value, and in this case, considering the time related element of the week in question, I agreed to purchase based on the statements of the seller and offer on ebay. You may call me gullible (and you would probably be right), But I do believe I have the right to hold them to the promises they made. The delay does mean I won't be able to use the week as intended, despite having paid for it this year. IMHO I think timeshare freedom is hard to do buisness with. I am working with another company right now, who returns calls within a reasonable time, they don't yell at their customers, they provide a clear timeline and explanations for their process, and so far, have been a pleasure to deal with. It was hard to get any response from timeshare freedom, until I began escalating my complaints to the owners. Perhaps you work for the company in question. It is hard to judge your anger and frustration at a process that seemingly shouldn't concern you.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
ctyatty

I agree to this : "Perhaps you work for the company in question"
Currently Timeshare closing service is handling one of my TS closing, they spent almost 5 months and still I don't know when it will be done. I just requested the refund for all money (TS price + closing cost + this year's MF) and wanted to cancel this purchase, but they declined it.

ctyatty

TUG Member
Reaction score
good luck

Delay in and of itself, while aggravating, does not entitle you to damages.
When closing for a current year TS I have advanced the MF, had the seller book the week that I wanted and used it while the transaction was in process. Your personal attacks on me reflect what most already know by your posts. Instead of accepting that some people disagree with your ideas, you attack their motives, etc. While 90 days is often estimated by closing companies, I doubt that you had a contractual guarantee or warranty to complete the deal in 90 days or else you get to dictate the refund that you think is appropriate. Stuff happens, it doesn't mean you should get the service for nothing and your first use for nothing. Maybe some closing companies could get more work done if they did not have to field constant questions. The last TS I bought, I promptly paid and around 4 months later I got a deed in the mail and a few days later an welcome letter from the resort - all without me camping on their phone even one time. I don't understand why people think that for a few hundred bucks for a closing they should get gold plated service with frequent status reports and hand holding. These are, in the great scheme of things, penny ante deals. I think the closing company is correct, if you wanted title insurance you should have bought it - closing companies don't guarantee title or guarantee that the seller will perform at your expected speed. Good luck on your next deal, maybe try allowing more lead time and more patience.

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what type of closing you paid for, 1 with a full title search to discover the problems or just one to transfer the deed.

If you paid for a full title search and title insurance, then yes, the closing company should have fixed the defects in title.

If you did a deed only type closing, where the closing company is just preparing a deed and acting as escrow, then no, the closing company would not have looked into the public records for defective title, liens etc. You are asking them to take on liability without getting paid for the service.

All closing companies I know of, will get the estoppels from the resort for current and back MF fees, transfer fee and if there is a loan, but that is as far as it goes.

If you want the closing company to check prior deeds, mortgages etc, they have to be paid for the liability they are assuming. Some states, you have to pay an abstractor to go out and search the title as records or complete records are not available on line. Those can cost a few hundred dollars. Closing companies are not going to do that on a $300 closing.

Also, understand, if the seller is giving clear title, they will have done that when they sign a warranty deed. The warranty deed has specific language in it doing just that. HOWEVER, it OBLIGATES the SELLER not the closing company.

As fas as taking over 90 days, yes, there are some closing companies that are really slow to do the work, however, some of that is the resorts that take 30 days to ROFR and then another 2-3 weeks to get estoppels out. That can blow almost 2 months right there. So not all delays are caused by the closing company.

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your posts. This has been an education. I did, as recommended by many Tuggers request this company to make a reservation as it is an EOY even (first use 2008) week. They declined stating "they had no obligation to act as a reservation agent for 90 days". I actually downloaded the deeds from the county myself, and sent them to SVN and my agent, to speed up the process. I really didn't get anywhere with the agent I was dealing with until I began requesting to speak to the owners and asking for a refund. If I had done my research on TUG before buying, and knew I could select another agent, as opposed to the one the seller required, I would have.

I agree it is easy to misconstrue tone and manner on the BBS. CTTATTY I meant no "personal attack". I found your inital post aggressive in manner and perhaps it was not meant to be. For those in the buisness of real estate transactions these would certainly seem to be "penny ante" deals. For those of us buying a TS for our family's use our money may "feel" more valuable.