• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Romantic HHI vacation-next week!

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some friends are going to HHI next week to celebrate their 25th anniversary. They are staying at Marriott Grande Ocean. Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants or other special activities? I know they are planning to walk the awesome beaches and bike. This is their first trip to HHI, we have only been there once and it was during July with children so I am sure their experience will be very different than ours.

Any suggestions would be great!
Sue

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We went to Hilton Head in March. It was our first trip there too. There are so many restaurants to choose from, I never saw a place with more restaurants than Hilton Head. We stayed at Waterside at Spinaker, we did not get to Marriott Grand Ocean, but I have friends that stayed there and enjoyed it. We went to Aunt Chalada's and Antonio's those two places stand out in my mind. We went on a dolphin cruise too, saw some dolphins and beautiful homes along the waterway. Played a lot of golf. We really enjoyed Hilton Head and will go back someday soon. TerryC

Jan&Ern

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on where to go and what to see on HHI but there are a lot of previous threads on this site that can help direct you. Just do a search on HHI and you should get a lot of info on restaurants, etc. We like Marley's, Brick Oven Cafe, and Bone Fish Grill for dining. My husband did a kayak eco tour last time we visited and enjoyed it a lot. Shopping is always fun and going to Savannah is wonderful too. Your friends can get plenty of help from the resort if they are looking for something to do or need a suggestion for dinner. But seriously, search this site and you'll have a lot of info from people that are local or visit the island all the time. We'll be back March of 09 and can't wait!

tammigirl

Reaction score
We really enjoyed Sticky Fingers. The ribs do literally fall off the bone. The stuffed potato skins there are pretty darn good, too. We stayed in Hilton Head for a couple of days before a cruise and went back for a few more after the cruise. We liked Sticky Fingers so much we ate there both trips. :)

We liked Bonefish grill as well. I know it's not exclusively on Hilton Head, but the one on Hilton Head was run well. Great service there and very good food.

My husband loves a good burger, so Fuddruckers was a must-do for us on the island.

Michael Anthony's was trying hard to be upscale, but there were two groups of local women (4-5 in each group) there having several bottles of wine per group and being loud. One group did nothing but talk about who wore what where and "How could they?" The other group was angrily discussing politics. There was one other couple in the main dining area as well. Our waiter was good. The food was good, but certainly not outstanding, although the prices would make you expect something awesome. I got gnochis for $22, which seemed outrageous to begin. Even more so once I got the small serving (plenty, but small by restaurant standards) which tasted no better than a bag of Bertolli from the local grocery store, but contained about one half to one third as much. I wouldn't bother going there for the ambiance, since it seems to be the hangout for disgruntled junior-leaguers. We're fairly food-spoiled, so we expected much more from this place.

I would highly suggest stopping at the Island visitor's center and talking to Ruth Ann. She can give recommendations and discount certificates to many island restaurants.

They really should take a day trip to Savannah. Amazing restaurants abound. Besides, it's just very romantic to walk around downtown Savannah. It's only about a 45 minute drive.

We love HH. It's great for couples, great for families. I can't find a downside to the place.

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Savannah,is,a,must.The,Studio,was,one,of,our,favorite,restaurants.You,can,get,a,discount
voucher,at,restaurant.com,or,if,you,arrive,before,6,they,give,a,20%,discount.It's,small,and
upscale,with,an,artistic,theme.All,the,restaurants,that,were,recommended,to,us,here,were,good.
What,type,of,food,do,you,like.

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Cowboy steak at The Studio is very good.

There are many threads on where to eat. Do your friends like white tablecloth style dining or more casual?

We have an ongoing list and each year we try a few more.

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I was focusing on the "romantic and special" idea. I know there are many threads about restaurants, I have read them myself! I read somewhere about a little theatre. That might be special, a little culture and entertainment. Does anyone know if they have productions year round? I am assuming November is going to be a little slower than July was.

Thanks for all of your responses!
Sue

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Barony Beach last week, and had one of our dinners at Old Fort Pub. I think it qualifies as "special." We had a delicious meal and the service was very good. The ambience inside the restaurant was very nice- can't speak for the view or outside because it was pouring down rain the night we were there!

www.oldfortpub.com

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hey! I forgot that we did go the the little Theater there. They were showing Oscar winning short features. It was nice to see something different, stuff that we hear about at the Oscars but never get to see. The theater is located in the Plaza that has a Piggly Wiggly store, it was just down the street from Waterside, where we stayed. TerryC

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Goggle "The Historic Savannah Theatre". The shows that this energetic young group performs are spectacular. There is a Sunday brunch at the Desota Hotel that is fabulous and is near the theatre. I would also recommend Elizabeths on 37th in Savannah. Conroys in the Marriott hotel on HHI has views of the ocean as does Aqua at the Sea Crest condos at Coligny on HHI. If I had to choose my favorite place to eat on HHI, I would be at a loss. If I'm on the island(or in my home nearby), I'm happy!

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were at Barony Beach last week, and had one of our dinners at Old Fort Pub. I think it qualifies as "special." We had a delicious meal and the service was very good. The ambience inside the restaurant was very nice- can't speak for the view or outside because it was pouring down rain the night we were there!

www.oldfortpub.com

The,Old-Fort-Pub,is,a,good,choice,also,but,for,where,your,staying,The-Studio,is,closer.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went one night early before we went to HH, and spent the night at the Gastonian in Savannah Ga.
http://www.gastonian.com/ It is the only bed and breakfast we have ever stayed in and we were treated like kings and Queens. The Gastonian was rated gold Conde Naste, and it was one of only 2 accomodations to receive that rating from Conde Naste in the state of Georgia. The Gastonian was also voted the best romantic inn in Savannah in 2007 by readers of Savannah Magazine. They have appetizers and drinks in the afternoon (4:30 TO 6). Then at night there are drinks and desserts (8 TO 10). Breakfast in the morning is either with the other guests at the main table or delivered to your room.

We toured the town (2 day trolly tour) and came back to relax on our wrought iron balcony at the Gastonian before going out to eat at the Olde Pink House. After dinner we came back to the Gastonian and had drinks and dessert. The next morning breakfast in our room and more time on the balcony. After we checked out we spent the rest of the day on the trolley tour seeing more of this wonderful city before we went on to HH. I wish we had spent at least 2 nights in Savannah. It was by far the best part of our trip and the Gastonian was fabulous. Make reservations as far in advance as possible since the Gastonian always fills up.

We loved the Olde Pink House which was recommended to us by our concierge at the Gastonian. He also made reservations for us after we decided to eat there and had a cab waiting for us to take us to Olde Pink House. The food was great, service wonderful, and the old antebellum home was the perfect setting for a romantic meal. Here are Fodor's reviews:

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/georgia/savannah/review-47553.html

yahoo reviews: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-1...d_reviews-i;_ylt=Aoov0b7MCK0tfGVEzdwVbCFbFmoL

More highly rated restaurants:

http://www.10best.com/Savannah,GA/Voted_Best_of_the_City/Restaurants/

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Sue,

Here's another vote for the Old Fort Pub - if you decide to dine there, I would suggest making reservations for around sunset - the water views are spectacular.

Another excellent "special restaurant" choice on HHI with good water views
is the Sunset Grille - 43 Jenkins Rd, Hilton Head Island, SC 843-689-6744
It's on the north end of the island. This is one of Dave M's favorite restaurants on HHI.

I think the South Carolina Repertory Company is doing a production while you're there. We've enjoyed several of their productions. Great small theater - they're located at 136 Beach City Road just past the airport.
http://www.hiltonheadtheatre.com/

If you plan on biking in Sea Pines Plantation visit the Stoney Baynard Plantation Ruins

250px-Baynard_Mausoleum.jpg
- This is a picture of the Baynard Mausoleum which was built in 1846 and is the oldest, intact structure on HHI. The Mausoleum is not located in Sea Pines Plantation. It's in Zion Chapel of Ease Cemetary that's on Hwy 278 (William Hilton Parkway) at the southwest intersection of Folly Field Road. The cemetery and mausoleum are all that remain on what once was the site of the Zion Chapel of Ease, built in 1788 and destroyed in 1868 by islanders seeking wood. The ghost of William Baynard, distraught by the death of his wife from yellow fever on their wedding night in 1830, is said to haunt the cemetery during storms. The Zion Chapel of Ease Cemetery and Baynard Mausoleum are free and open to the public.

Also Honey Horn Plantation on HHI is worth a visit - will give you a good historic backdrop to the area

Enyoy your trip!

Richard

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
romantic

you want romantic? (all require reservations)
I would personally choose Old Fort Pub first, Charlie's close second.
Any are fine!!!! Trust me.

Old Fort Pub....reservations a real must, a day in advance, & ask for WINDOW
TABLE (tell them "anniversary").

Charlie's L'Etoile Verte.....on New Orleans Rd.(very close to Grande Ocean)
---a French bistro feel, but with white tablecloths, great
ambiance, and fantastic food and service.

Frankie Bones....slightly more fun, but nice low-lite ambiance, dark red
leather booths, lots of dark wood, great menu.

Crane's Tavern...also New Orleans Rd... great menu, great food and service,
white tablecloths and candlelight, nice ambiance.

Sunset Grille......great food, service, great view of sunset. harder to get to.

*****these are the best of the best, and you can seriously forget the rest, with all due respect. Another honorable mention is Santa Fe.....still romantic, but others may be slightly more so. It's still a "can't miss" for us, tho, ...first night EVERY trip.
enjoy, Marty (jme)

Also add for "activities", if shopping and browsing qualify...(it does for my wife!!! ) ....walk around and shop in Harbour Town and also South Beach.... both are fun...lots of cute shops and boutiques. Shelter Cove also has nice shops and is great for walking around near sunset time!!! great water views.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
romantic

you want romantic? (all require reservations)
I would personally choose Old Fort Pub first, Charlie's close second.
Any are fine!!!! Trust me.

Old Fort Pub....reservations a real must, a day in advance, & ask for WINDOW
TABLE (tell them "anniversary").

Charlie's L'Etoile Verte.....on New Orleans Rd.(very close to Grande Ocean)
---a French bistro feel, but with white tablecloths, great
ambiance, and fantastic food and service.

Frankie Bones....slightly more fun, but nice low-lite ambiance, dark red
leather booths, lots of dark wood, great menu.

Crane's Tavern...also New Orleans Rd... great menu, great food and service,
white tablecloths and candlelight, nice ambiance.

Sunset Grille......great food, service, great view of sunset. harder to get to.

*****these are the best of the best, and you can seriously forget the rest, with all due respect. Another honorable mention is Santa Fe.....still romantic, but others may be slightly more so. It's still a "can't miss" for us, tho, ...first night EVERY trip.
enjoy, Marty (jme)

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Another excellent "special restaurant" choice on HHI with good water views
is the Sunset Grille - 43 Jenkins Rd, Hilton Head Island, SC 843-689-6744
It's on the north end of the island. This is one of Dave M's favorite restaurants on HHI.
Richard

Another vote for the Sunset Grille. It's small so make reservations and ask for a table by the window. It doesn't look like much from the outside but the food and service are excellent.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about vows renewed on the beach? With a champagne toast afterwards, some cheese and fruit and a blanket. That would do it for me!

Oh and if the Mr. wanted to add some sparkle to my hand, that would be fine too!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I nominate the Santa Fe Cafe. It may be the best dining experience we have ever had. Southwest fare with a flare. We had the grouper and it was exquisite.

Regards.
Joe

trishpmc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also recommend the Old Fort Pub for a special dinner. It has delicious food, excellent service, and beautiful sunsets.