• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Our SVN Plan (Lagunamar)

skibikegokf

Reaction score
We Love TUG!

TUG helped us get a 2BR + at the Lagoon Towers for 25% of retail.

Last week, we vacationed 5 days in Cancun and had the pleasure of visiting Lagunamar and heard about SVN.

So now we want to wade back into the deepend again.

We really want Lagunamar usage (2Br with lock-out), but the resort being voluntary provides NO Star Options in resale (not a show stopper for us at this time).

It appears, the best move would be to buy (resale) a 2BR with lock-out from Westin Keirland. Most of their Gold weeks come with 81,000 pts.

We would then use the 81,000 pts to trade into usage at Lagunamar at the 8 month prior point of time.

From what we have read, it appears that there is lots of availability at Lagunamar in the SVN at the 8 month point.

Here are my questions:

1. Is the above plan solid? Any drawbacks or downsides?
2. Some EY Gold 2Br-2BA at Keirland have 56k Star Options whereas others have 81k Star Options -- why the difference?
3. Some units appear to have fixed weeks, some units have floating weeks, and some have both. Why the difference.

TIA, did I mention we love TUG!!!!!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We Love TUG!

Last week, we vacationed 5 days in Cancun and had the pleasure of visiting Lagunamar and heard about SVN.

We really want Lagunamar usage (2Br with lock-out), but the resort being voluntary provides NO Star Options in resale (not a show stopper for us at this time).

It appears, the best move would be to buy (resale) a 2BR with lock-out from Westin Keirland. Most of their Gold weeks come with 81,000 pts.

We would then use the 81,000 pts to trade into usage at Lagunamar at the 8 month prior point of time.

From what we have read, it appears that there is lots of availability at Lagunamar in the SVN at the 8 month point.

Here are my questions:

2. Some EY Gold 2Br-2BA at Keirland have 56k Star Options whereas others have 81k Star Options -- why the difference?
3. Some units appear to have fixed weeks, some units have floating weeks, and some have both. Why the difference.

81 k points only gets you a gold plus week at WLR also.

If you really want yo go to WLR ever or every other year then buy there.

Your plan has you buying elsewhere. Paying 1500 MF of 81k options that can only be used for a 1500 Mr 81k option week.

If you continue your plan St john also has some well priced mandatory use points. Don't forget to Shop those points.

Nothing much is fixed. The week is so they don't over sell.

The 56k point weeks are the WKV simmer silver weeks

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you plan to actually stay there at Lagunamar (sometimes abbreviated WLR), I would buy there. If the occasion comes along where you would like to trade, you can exchange through II. WLR is a little cheaper because it is voluntary, so if it's what you want, find one.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We Love TUG!

Here are my questions:

We have been on the lookout for a Lagunamar week, EOY gold plus also. So far we have lost a few auctions. I say the best way to go there is to reserve there. We would be buying to use. I think exchanging in II with Starwood now is a craps shoot. Too much uncertainty and availability in II has gone way down. I am glad we didn't buy a couple years ago when we were looking as things have certainly changed since then.

81 k points only gets you a gold plus week at WLR also.

If you really want yo go to WLR ever or every other year then buy there.

Your plan has you buying elsewhere. Paying 1500 MF of 81k options that can only be used for a 1500 Mr 81k option week.

If you continue your plan St john also has some well priced mandatory use points. Don't forget to Shop those points.

Nothing much is fixed. The week is so they don't over sell.

The 56k point weeks are the WKV simmer silver weeks

It seems that the MFs at St John are disproportionately higher on a per SO basis when compared to other options. Is there something I am missing. Is St John a good option when buying mandatory?

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that the MFs at St John are disproportionately higher on a per SO basis when compared to other options. Is there something I am missing. Is St John a good option when buying mandatory?

This is only correct for the low season, mid season is about average, high season may be better.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been on the lookout for a Lagunamar week, EOY gold plus also. So far we have lost a few auctions. I say the best way to go there is to reserve there. We would be buying to use. I think exchanging in II with Starwood now is a craps shoot. Too much uncertainty and availability in II has gone way down. I am glad we didn't buy a couple years ago when we were looking as things have certainly changed since then.

With the star option bump on the platinum plus at WSJ the MF per SO is now the lowest in the system.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is only correct for the low season, mid season is about average, high season may be better.

With the star option bump on the platinum plus at WSJ the MF per SO is now the lowest in the system.

Thanks. It seems that those weeks are probably out of my price range and likely many more SOs that I am looking for. I was looking at some of the WSJ weeks that were worth 81,000 SOs and it seemed that the MFs were rather high. If I were looking for a lot more SOs and deeper pockets, it seems that WSJ may be an option to consider.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It seems that those weeks are probably out of my price range and likely many more SOs that I am looking for. I was looking at some of the WSJ weeks that were worth 81,000 SOs and it seemed that the MFs were rather high. If I were looking for a lot more SOs and deeper pockets, it seems that WSJ may be an option to consider.
The studios may work?

This is where the trade off between higher upfront and 10c per SO MF or lower upfront and 20c per SO MF comes into play.