• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How is ROFR effecting "Free TS"

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are several ads on the TUG marketplace and in the bargain BBS were people are giving away their less valuable Starwood TSs

How does ROFR play in these give-a-ways?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The only resort that really has limited value (under $2000 or so) but has ROFR would be Westin Mission Hills platinum. If Starwood wants it then they can take it. It is worth 148,000 SO's to them.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are several ads on the TUG marketplace and in the bargain BBS were people are giving away their less valuable Starwood TSs

How does ROFR play in these give-a-ways?
Starwood only has rofr on a limited selection of their resorts. The HI ones Mission Hills and maybe another. Thats detailed in the sticky posts above.

Florida etc does not have rofr so no floor price by Starwood. Of course with flex on those now they should be sweeping them up for sale as flex points. Thought right now I think they just get those from the HOA. The repossessions from non payment of MF.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I always wondered why Starwood didn't add ROFR provisions to all of their condo declaration documents? Other companies were doing it long before Starwood got in to the business.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I always wondered why Starwood didn't add ROFR provisions to all of their condo declaration documents? Other companies were doing it long before Starwood got in to the business.

I've wondered the same thing, especially with the new Sheraton Flex. You'd think they'd swoop in and buy them back for $1 for the ability to churn them back to the market through sales. It would be a cheaper churn then offering equity at a sales presentation.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I've wondered the same thing, especially with the new Sheraton Flex. You'd think they'd swoop in and buy them back for $1 for the ability to churn them back to the market through sales. It would be a cheaper churn then offering equity at a sales presentation.

Marriott has used ROFR quite well in feeding their sales machine for DC points. They have only a few resorts without ROFR. I would think that Starwood wishes now that they had included the provision in all their resorts from the beginning, but haven't they added some fairly recent ones without it?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Some are based on Locality.

The only localities where I could see them having an issue with ROFR would be St John and perhaps Cancun. All other areas are in the same states or localities as other timeshare companies that have properties that do carry ROFR. In the USVI, I don't think Marriott has ROFR on Frenchman's Cove. I don't know about Mexico.

There is no real reason they couldn't have included ROFR provisions in all of their other properties. I think they only have them on their Hawaii locations.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Also, Westin Mission Hills.