• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval E-Plus - Policy Not Clear

kpeiper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so frustrated with both Shell Vacations Club and Interval International. I have been please with both in the past and have found them to work well together. I have feared that Shell Vacations Club will go back to RCI and the service I had today will not make members fight to stay with II.

To start, I had booked a 2 bedroom for 4,500 points. I added E-Plus for $49 which seemed like a nice safety plan. I had read the information on the II website and liked the option.

As it happened plans changed, so I exchanged for a later date to a studio for 2,500 points. Later, I notice that the additional points were not returned. I called SVC/II desk. They explained that points are not returned when downgrading. I lost 2,000 points! I pointed out that the website policy does not have this information. I cited the information on the FAQ's (the only policy that I could locate). She said it was located on the website and after askin "where" a number of times, she placed me on hold to have someone show her. Yes, it was located in the "legal information" fine print link at the bottom of the page. The FAQ's don't even refer to the location of the "full policy details". Finally SVC/II person said they could do nothing as it is a II website and II does not refund the points.

I emailed the TUG/II help email. He called today. Understood my concern that the policy was not very accessible/visible and would "pass that on" but could not do anything as II doesn't handle points. He said he would refer my concern back to SVC as they would need to address points.

SVC called and I spoke with Albert who apparently is the supervisor and has no supervisor. He tried to convince me that I was so lucky to have E-plus because it would have otherwise cost me another trade fee ($99) and loosing 2000 points ($500) was just an inconvenience. He again put blame for the poorly visible policy and misleading FAQ's to II and said that there was nothing he could do. No apology, no offer. He didn't seem to even comprehend why I would be concerned when the E-Plus saved me from paying another exchange fee. I tried to explain that as an informed consumer, there is a problem when SVC customer service reps can't locate the policy. Why should I be expected to find the policy. He also very smugly reminded me that FAQ's are not the whole policy. Yes, I understand... but maybe make the whole policy available.

Why do I get frustrated -- because I sometimes start to believe that SVC is in the customer service business. Shame on me for forgetting that they are a management company focused on revenue and customer management. My logic of poorly communicated policy + customer unhappy = compromise/resolution is clearly wrong. That is a strategy for organizations that need to earn every transaction, not one that has you prepay for a long relationship of hard work to get your value. I told him that I'd report to the BBB on the practices, but doubt they care.

Even worse, I have recommended SVC/II to friends because I have found good value in the past. I won't again. Not when you have to beg for service and get kicked in the face. Let's see how long it takes for them to update the II website to be a bit more transparent with the policy or at lease make the II rules regulations part of the bigger menu option. Putting it in the fine print is just wrong.

I know I have no legal recourse as they have done the bare minimum and there are indeed policies. I wish there was some way to recoup my losses.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Disclosure Statement, Membership Terms & Condition and the Buyers Guide
page 7 of the disclosure guide that you get to by clicking on the legal info at the bottom of the page. I have seem it listed as such for many months.

(d) For E-Plus retrades where points (inclusive of Club Interval Points and
Preferred Points) were relinquished for the original Confirmation:
(i) Where the number of points required for the retrade is equal to or
less than the number of points required for the original Confirmation
or, if applicable, previously issued retrade, no points will be returned
to the Member’s points or Club Interval Points account or Preferred
Points account.
(ii) Where the number of points or Club Interval Points required for
the retrade is greater than the amount relinquished for the original
Confirmation or, if applicable, previously issued retrade, the Member
will be required to relinquish the additional points needed. A retrade
will not be confirmed until the availability of the required number of
points is verified by the Home Resort.

It's also been discussed on both TUG and the Interval community on more than one occasion as a caveat for points members using eplus.

Last edited:

kpeiper

TUG Member
Reaction score
If that small item were labeled program guide or program rules, I may have looked there. It didn't seem to be the place to find the rules and regs. They need to me on the top line menu or a link in the my account not hidden under "legal information"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
All of the current terms and conditions are in that guide. It is unfortunate that you didn't know that before hand. You know now and can read through it so you will be aware of all the ins and outs. Much like your signature line- happy II members are educated II members. There are a lot of tricks and catches to eplus and many TUG/ II members including myself have been caught and ended up with something other than what they thought they were buying. I ended up confirming an exchange and paying for eplus and then losing the deposit because I didn't understand the 59 day rule in the first couple weeks when eplus was introduced.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think the problem is that accounting would become difficult. What if you retrade again for a larger unit. Moving points back and forth gets messy. I can understand why they have the policy the way that it is.

kpeiper

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have no problem charging you more for a larger unit.

I don't disagree with the policy. I do not agree with the nature in which it is communicated. The easy to locate FAQ's are incomplete and do not provide direction to the complete policy. The complete policy is in the hard to find members guide that the CSR couldn't even find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk