• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Putting kids on a deed

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you really want to make sure they get the timeshare when you pass on, put it in your family trust. but be sure they would want it.
and it is very doubtful that they would pay estate taxes on your death, with a marital trust you can leave about ten million without paying an estate tax

Many thoughts on this and other threads regarding trusts talk about a family with a single revocable trust. I have not read/seen anything regarding a dual trust set up in which normal assets (home, IRA, etc.) are kept in a traditional trust, and a separate trust set up for vacation assets.

I see a possible value in a revocable vacation trust, especially for those of us with TS properties in a multitude of states. I've read on another thread on TUG how probate can be a pain in the behind, especially if the property is in a distant state from where the decedent lived. The question is, how bad is dealing with probate in a distant state? And then multiply that by 2x, 5x, whatever...

I've considered this dual trust route, though I haven't put THAT much thought into it yet as my kids are still very young, but I do have some developer benefits I don't want to just go POOF! if I were to pass away at an unexpected age.

What are the goods/others of this strategy?

Any idea how much it costs to get a trust set up (not including the re-deeding, but just considering setup and maintenance)? What if one uses a self-service thing like LegalZoom or NOLO, and then just have it reviewed by an attorney afterwards?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Originally my Trust with ex cost about $1,800 and included five legal transfers into and A and B sub trusts, etc. Circa 1996 estate taxes started at $600K so big tax savings. Also, gave me affidavit stating 70% of fee was tax deductible

Not a problem as I just contacted mutual funds, broker, DMV, etc. and did quit claim deeds on real estate.

After divorce cost about $700 to revise.

Also, charges optional $300 yearly for up to two hours consultation and making minor revisions.

Based on posts here and talking with attorney out of state probate could easily cost over $1K.

Need to ask next time what happens if out of state TSs are not probated. Can estate be closed without doing if necessary! Or, does it hang in limbo with no assets?

The more well organized info you give attorney should keep fee to a minimum!

IMHO with notarizing, witnesses, possible challenges, etc. not DIY.