• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Learning about Timesharing

MSchleicher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any specific websites or forum posts that would be considered good reads for an individual considering to purchase a timeshare property through resale?

I am interested in learning about…

• the resale process (buyer and seller)
  • an understanding of timeshare points
  • best timeshare companies
  • affordable locations on the East Coast

Thanks,
Mike

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome - You found it! TUG is the largest website for timeshare owners on the net.
the resale process (buyer and seller)
To learn about the resale process, I'd start the TUG Advice page - linked in the red bar at the top of the page.
an understanding of timeshare points
There are many kinds of timeshare points - most systems have them, so you need to know which system you are interested in first. The points are not transferable between systems, and the rules vary widely.
best timeshare companies
By "best" timeshare companies, I assume you mean best resorts or resort systems? The top systems are Marriott, Starwood (Westin/Sheraton) Hyatt, Hilton, and Disney Vacation Club. They are also the most expensive, and depending on your needs, you may or may not need one of the top resorts.
affordable locations on the East Coast
To see the top resorts on the East Coast, you should join TUG and browse the TUG Ratings and Reviews for the East Coast - access is a benefit of TUG membership. But affordable, and best are not necessarily compatible.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You found it. Just start reading the Newbies forum, pay special attention to the stickies at the top the forums. Follow up with the various companies that interest you, then look at the Buying, Selling, Renting forum to be able to sidestep the quicksand.

Before even entertaining the thought of buying one- even resale- rent a few times. There are some great deals in then Last Minute Rentals forum or in the Marketplace in the red stripe above. Often at less than the underlying maintenance fee (MF) for the week.

Welcome to TUG! Use the search function, but feel free to ask questions if you can't find the answers on your own. We're pretty gentle here, so you won't get flamed- even for asking a question for the thousanth time we've seen it.

Jim

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look no further...

Are there any specific websites or forum posts that would be considered good reads for an individual considering to purchase a timeshare property through resale?

I am interested in learning about…

• the resale process (buyer and seller)
  • an understanding of timeshare points
  • best timeshare companies
  • affordable locations on the East Coast

This site (Timeshare Users Group, TUG, where you are right now) is (IMnsHO) the best place on Planet Earth to gain topic knowledge and to find the most experienced and best informed sources on any and all matters relating to timeshare. As you can readily see, there are many topic-specific forums on this site through which to read.
You might want to start with "Newbies Help".

That being said, you can't acquire timeshare knowledge by osmosis. You have many hours of reading ahead on a multitude of different programs, companies, points systems, reservation procedures, advance time frames for reservations, fixed vs. floating weeks vs. points, resort management differences (in both quality and cost), resale transaction procedures and their many potential complications, closing entities, resellers (...honest and competent vs. inept and sleazy), resort quality differences, "chains" vs. "independents", etc. The list goes on; it's a finite list, but certainly not a short one.

Resale prices also can vary widely even within any given facility, since seasonal demand and unit size are also factors significantly influencing the market (or "exchange") value of any given timeshare week. Planet Timeshare is an interesting place, but it certainly has a whole lot of nuances, intricacies (and oddities) which must be chewed, digested and assimilated --- and whose future changes should be monitored along the way thereafter. It ain't simple or easy to establish a solid knowledge base.

After reading up and establishing the beginning foundations of knowledge in your particular, specific area(s) of interest, if you post clear and specific questions on TUG, you will generally receive equally clear and specific (and well informed) answers from someone well experienced and "in the know" in that particular arena --- as well as assorted varying personal opinions on almost any given timeshare related topic.

Get those reading glasses on and read and learn. Then read and learn some more. Then by all means ask any and all of the specific questions that you can think of --- they likely will get answered correctly and promptly, but there are far too many variables and factors for "generalized" or "one size fits all" summaries or comments.

P.S. I'm not on commission or otherwise associated with TUG other than as a member, but I also would recommend ponying up the $15 to join TUG and thereby gain access to resort reviews, which will give you access to objective, first hand reviews and experiences regarding specific resorts in which you might become interested.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the TUG's Forum. Asked your questions and someone here will give you some solid / sound advice.

DWyatt

Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! Use the search function, but feel free to ask questions if you can't find the answers on your own. We're pretty gentle here, so you won't get flamed- even for asking a question for the thousanth time we've seen it.

Jim

How do I "like" a post! That's got to be one of the best things on this forum! Some of us are search incapable at times lol

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
:banana: No Like button Here :banana:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We are happy to answer questions, but there is a steep learning curve, and probably at this point, you don't really know what specific questions you want to ask. So I highly recommend that you do some reading first, and then let us know what questions you have.

Every timeshare system is different, so it's helpful to focus on one system at a time, or it's completely overwhelming.

It sounds like you want a home resort on the East Coast, so you might start by joining TUG and reviewing the TUG ratings and reviews for that region. That should give you some direction regarding what timeshare(s) or timeshare system, that you want to investigate first.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
We are happy to answer questions, but there is a steep learning curve, and probably at this point, you don't really know what specific questions you want to ask. So I highly recommend that you do some reading first, and then let us know what questions you have.

Every timeshare system is different, so it's helpful to focus on one system at a time, or it's completely overwhelming.

It sounds like you want a home resort on the East Coast, so you might start by joining TUG and reviewing the TUG ratings and reviews for that region. That should give you some direction regarding what timeshare(s) or timeshare system, that you want to investigate first.

The best system varies for each individual. I think the starting point is location and then quality. If a timeshare system doesn't have a location where you want to go, it doesn't matter how high end it is. Yes, you can exchange, but that adds another layer of complexity. Best to find a system that has the locations you want.

Start with this map of timeshare locations:
http://tug2.com/tsmaps/TimeshareMaps.html
Focus on the areas you want to visity that only have a few timeshares; those are the systems you want to focus on. As an example: for the east coast, lots of systems have resorts in Orlando or even Williamsburg. Only one (Wyndham) has Washington DC, so if that is one of your desired locations, you should focus on learning about Wyndham. Those areas with only 1 or 2 timeshares are more difficult trades as well, so best to own there and use your exchanges for other locations.
Once you've narrowed it down to a couple of systems, focus on those. Every system is different and has its own ins and outs. It's very overwhelming so by narrowing down your options you will save yourself a lot of time.

Sue

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
East Coast timeshares - lots of individual resorts. But if you are looking to travel, you most likely will want a points system (a chain of resorts). Some are fancy and expensive to buy into and to pay maintenance fees on yearly (Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt). Some are cheap and free, but have some extra usage fees due to flexible options and to keep the MFs down for most of us (those nickel and dime fees do really add up - esp if you change your plans 3 times before checking in).

Some people don't like change and want to just show up to THEIR yearly timeshare vacation home. Then look at FIXED WEEKS by first selecting your vacation destination ... warning: these will most likely be OLDER resorts which may not have all the PLUSES the newer resorts have.

Either way, we recommend staying at a couple of resorts YOU are thinking of buying by RENTING first --- boy, did I change my mind on what I thought I wanted and had brought -- it was the PINK unit --- the walls, floors, kitchen cabinets, appliances were PINK and add in some WILD plastic floral design on the sofa and bedspreads. I was in tears. Other resorts just don't have the cliental I like - loud, brassy, late night people ... while another resort had different songs to sing in the crowded elevators (sounds weird, but everyone would get off the packed elevators with a big smile on their faces and laughing).