• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Uber possible through an iPad?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We leave tomorrow for a week in NYC followed by a week in Boston. We don't have smart phones, but I was wondering if an Uber connection can be made through an iPad using our dumb phone numbers if the guy needed to call us. Does anyone know if this works? Or does the App recognize that the device is not a cell phone if I try to load it?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Never tried it, but it's super easy to just install and test. Why don't you try?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is an uber ap for iPhone. All you need to do is download that ap by changing it from iPad to iPhone. When you create an account for uber, you can list your phone number. So if for any reason they decide to call, that should not be a problem.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Is this a wifi or cell radio iPad?

I was going to ask the same. If the airport has Wifi it would work. If not and it is a wifi only iPad, then it wouldn't.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We would not be using it at the airport. Transportation there is covered. Thinking more along the lines of being out somewhere and needing a ride that might be cheaper than a taxi ride. I'm having mobility issues and even with the public transportation available in these two cities, a car ride might better suit us in a semi-emergency. I pay $15 monthly for AT&T connection on iPad that we rarely use since wifi is free most everywhere, so I assume we'd have a connection to be able to use it on the street if we needed to.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last week we were in Las Vegas, and I went into a convenience store to buy some coffee. They were out, so I asked directions to the closest place I could buy coffee.

When I got outside, another customer came up to me and said he was an Uber driver, and did I want a ride. I thought it was odd that he approached me. I've never used Uber, so maybe that is normal.

I did not accept his offer - my mom taught me not to get into cars with strangers, and I wanted to walk and get some fresh air. ;)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully uber does not allow this. It is suppose to work with smartphones, not ipads, computers etc.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hopefully uber does not allow this. It is suppose to work with smartphones, not ipads, computers etc.

Why would you care if it can be used on multiple devices? :shrug:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Arguably, an iPad could be considered the same as an iPhone, just bigger. It is supposed to work with whichever device a person can download the app to.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I typed Uber into the App Store on my iPad. It immediately offered me "Uber for iPad" so I thought I was on the right track. First thing showing among all the little icons that popped up was UberGuest, then there were some taxi apps, an UberGuide, and a bunch more stuff that basically looked like junk apps. So I figured UberGuest was closest, thinking it was some sort of downgraded app since I wasn't on a phone. Nope. That's a lodging app. So I guess the answer is that Uber access is indeed only available as a phone app.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I typed Uber into the App Store on my iPad. It immediately offered me "Uber for iPad" so I thought I was on the right track. First thing showing among all the little icons that popped up was UberGuest, then there were some taxi apps, an UberGuide, and a bunch more stuff that basically looked like junk apps. So I figured UberGuest was closest, thinking it was some sort of downgraded app since I wasn't on a phone. Nope. That's a lodging app. So I guess the answer is that Uber access is indeed only available as a phone app.

I thought you could download any iPhone app to the iPad? Might not be optimal, but it should work?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
If it's a Wifi only pad there is no GPS chip.

You'd have to be on wifi and manually enter your location

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
UBER works on the iPad the same way it works on the iPhone.

If it's a Wifi only pad there is no GPS chip.

You'd have to be on wifi and manually enter your location

I am going to look one more time when I go back upstairs. But I did not see a real Uber app first time I looked.

I think I must have a GPS chip because I regularly get asked if whatever I'm looking at can use my "current location" and if I say yes it knows where I am.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why..but I believe Uber only works on a device which has a cellphone number attached to it. I know that it won't work on my kindle fire. It does work on my low end android phone.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you care if it can be used on multiple devices? :shrug:

As it is a smartphone app. It makes it safer then people just picking up people where ever and however they want. Like in your story.

I really believe it is a great idea as long as the drivers and passengers are approved. I am not in a situation to be a uber driver but last week I picked up friends and dropped them off at MCO. Surely it is good if I drop someone else off before picking my friend up and pick someone else off after dropping my friends off.

I just do not see or am happy that the company has such a high valuation. But that is business. I am happy that this is devaluing taxi medallions.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How is it less safe, if I book a ride using the App on a tablet or computer? There are lots of Apps that can be used on multiple devices.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is it less safe, if I book a ride using the App on a tablet or computer? There are lots of Apps that can be used on multiple devices.

A phone number is attached on a smartphone.

Either way as a driver I would have concerns. Uber should do more to approve passengers.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus a smartphone has gps capabilities. Makes it safer for both.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
OK, I've checked again. There is no iPad app, in spite of the fact that when I type in Uber in the search box it gives me a list of suggestions, one of which is "Uber for iPads". Thought to check Lyft also, although I don't know how widespread they are. Nothing comes up. So taxi it is if we get in a situation where I can't walk or stand comfortably.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
you may be better off to buy a smartphone then to get in and pay for a taxi.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We pay $100 per year for each of our dumb phones. I know eventually we'll get a smart phone, but so far have managed to see no real need for one. Aside from the fees associated with smart phones, we are in a dead zone at home where we MIGHT get reception with our T Mobile phones if the atmospheric conditions are right -- and T Mobile is the only carrier that seems to work here. Always funny to have worker bees and contractors onsite walking around with their phone arm in the air trying to catch a signal. Obviously if we're home we'd use the landline, but having a more expensive phone and then not being able to use it at home if the power goes out just isn't appealing.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Uber works fine on my wifi only ipad, you have to use the iphone version though, its the only app put out by Uber. The ipad versions are third party helper apps, not Uber.

05cd9d770936f7e9cf5c41e79f24b4b3.jpg

Location services may not be on some older ipads, it will show as the little arrow in the top right. It found me at home on wifi only.

e0d75a5813ecf147f6578b5ab0d1491c.jpg

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Last week we were in Las Vegas, and I went into a convenience store to buy some coffee. They were out, so I asked directions to the closest place I could buy coffee.

When I got outside, another customer came up to me and said he was an Uber driver, and did I want a ride. I thought it was odd that he approached me. I've never used Uber, so maybe that is normal.

I did not accept his offer - my mom taught me not to get into cars with strangers, and I wanted to walk and get some fresh air. ;)

I think you avoided a very dodgy situation.

Cheers