• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

List of What they Bring With to Hawaii

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
The coffee filters, is a great idea, thanks

All good suggestions. I like the flat laundry sheets; I've been shopping at Costco too much....I don't go down the laundry aisle of grocery stores at all.

Here's a few thing we bring or do, YMMV:
1. coffee filters and coffee. DH likes to bring enough coffee for his first morning. Sometimes we don't get to the store until the 2nd day.
2. dishwasher pods or powder. We usually do more dishwasher loads than the stuff provided. It's more of a convenience for us to bring our own than to get more dishwasher stuff from housekeeping.
3. ziplock bags various sizes
4. small blue ice pack and a large insulated lunch bag for canned or bottled drinks. We get a case or two :D of Hawaiian Sun fruit drinks at Costco. We pack drinks for whenever we're out and about on drives, and drinks in Hawaii warm up really fast.

I usually do bring a suitcase because I find items there that I can't find in my local stores.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, so this place is on the way to WKORV, what a great price...

Yes, across the street from the Cannery Mall in a strip center. You can't miss the sign. I think it's called Lahaina Outlet. Take Denises's advice. Don't overpack. The only thing double the price is food. You'll probably shop for food at the Times Market, however, I like Safeway for better selection of items. Check the newspaper on Wednesday for the market and drugstore ads for sale items. Stop at WalMart for sunscreen. If you like the beach, instead of the pool stop at Costco for chairs and an umbrella. Be careful though, it's very windy by the Westin at times and hard to keep he umbrella up. The umbrella at Costco is one of the few that stay up. There is a store in the Fairway Shops center that will buy your chairs for $14 each when you go home. The store rents snorkeling gear. Lastly, do not eat lunch at the Westin. They have the highest prices for food I've ever experienced. We always make lunch in the room and save our budget for going out to dinner. Lunch for 2 at he Westin will cost you $50.

Kapolei

Reaction score
This is a good discussion, but I would add that unless you are going to spend your vacation on Molokai or Lanai, Hawaii is not much different than staying at a timeshare in San Diego. I would just add an extra $50 or $100 to your budget for the little things, and forget about it. If a gallon fo milk is $2.50 where you live, then just pay the $5 in Hawaii without giving it a thought. You don't live here, so really what difference does it make if the cost of living is 25% higher if it is only for a week?

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Hawaii is about the easiest place to pack for in the world. Shorts/T's/swim suits/a couple of Aloha shirts for dress-up. It all goes in a carry-on. If you check a bag, you're taking too much.

Tater's list of non-clothing items is pretty good for a fly-to timeshare vacay anywhere. We have most all of that type stuff in a packing cube that goes everywhere we timeshare. Some items vary by location/season.

Jim

I like how you pack. I think I could get by with short pants, 2 swim trunks, 3 t shirts and flip flops. Our units have washer /dryers so its pretty easy to take less.

We do take a carry on for fishing gear and my wifes lotions.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is my carry-on list:

TSA sized toiletries for a few nights (will buy a few items there)
2 bathing suits
bathing suit cover up
SPF swim shirt
3 shorts
3 T-shirts/tank tops
nightgown
One "nicer" outfit like resort wear cropped pants and top
2 Sun dresses/muumuus
flip flops
"nicer" sandals
crushable sun hat or visor
snorkel and mask (I rent fins)

On the plane I wear tennis shoes, jeans, and a hoodie, because they are large to pack, and I know I will want them for cool nights, rain, boat trips, or a trip up to Waimea canyon.

I don't take make up, high heels, or dressy clothes. It is liberating. ;)

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
For the trip back

Something not addressed yet:

I bring along a roll of packaging tape that I get from the dollar store. I use it to seal up the USPS fixed rate boxes that are full of the goodies that we're shipping home. That way there are no worries about being overweight.

I suppose that on a related note, if you are planning on just adding stuff to your bag, then bring along one of those ~ $12 digital scales to weigh your bag.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I don't pack much but I take more than Denise. We always check bags but they always have
A lot of room for when we buy things. We get free checked bags too. For the last few years
We have left a tote on Kauai that has a lot of the items that are on everybody's lists.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Honestly, except for spices OTC medicines, chargers etc...

Hawaii (with Costco and Walmart) makes packing a breeze.
I must say, it's not that way everywhere. Europe can be a b*** to find something you really meant to bring. Of course, we Americans are so ridiculously consumer/product oriented... it's good to practice a little self-denial. I find that wine (in plentiful supply in EU) goes a long way to make up for the stray missing item(s). :) Hmm Mai Tai's too!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

I bring along a roll of packaging tape that I get from the dollar store. I use it to seal up the USPS fixed rate boxes that are full of the goodies that we're shipping home. That way there are no worries about being overweight.

I suppose that on a related note, if you are planning on just adding stuff to your bag, then bring along one of those ~ $12 digital scales to weigh your bag.

Yes, my husband does bring one of those small travel weight scales (non digital) to check our luggage weight on the return home :D
My SIL's family is from Colombia, and when they visit her, they bring back every ounce up to the limit in their suitcases.

Also Hawaiian Air had been weighing carry-on bags for their posted 25 lb limit, on mainland flights and even inter-island. Fortunately I've not seen carry-on limits online from the other major Hawaii carriers.

HappyGoLucky

Reaction score
"We are heading to Maui in August and I'm trying to develop a list of those items I should bring with me. For the condo what items do you bring that are cheaper to bring vs buying on the island?"

Here's some of my travel must haves:
Bandaids, antibiotic wash/ointment, mole skin for those who blister easily.
Asthma inhaler if you need it. (Especially on voggy days)
Emergen-C
Neti Pot (Neil Med) We use this as soon as we get off the plane when we arrive at our destination, and when return home.
Vitamins
Slippers
Hat
Wet wipes for hands
Tushy wet wipes for the tush, we never leave home without it. :hysterical:
Backpack (if hiking)
Floss
Razor

When my children were younger, I would put the strong club type sticker/paper/ bracelets on their wrists and write our name and contact numbers on it, in the event they ever got lost. (My son was a wondering adventurer who couldn't keep still or follow instructions)

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does WKORVN take the standard coffee filters (the basket kind) or do they require a more specialized version... I love my coffee in the morning.

All good suggestions. I like the flat laundry sheets; I've been shopping at Costco too much....I don't go down the laundry aisle of grocery stores at all.

Here's a few thing we bring or do, YMMV:
1. coffee filters and coffee. DH likes to bring enough coffee for his first morning. Sometimes we don't get to the store until the 2nd day.
2. dishwasher pods or powder. We usually do more dishwasher loads than the stuff provided. It's more of a convenience for us to bring our own than to get more dishwasher stuff from housekeeping.
3. ziplock bags various sizes
4. small blue ice pack and a large insulated lunch bag for canned or bottled drinks. We get a case or two :D of Hawaiian Sun fruit drinks at Costco. We pack drinks for whenever we're out and about on drives, and drinks in Hawaii warm up really fast.

I usually do bring a suitcase because I find items there that I can't find in my local stores.

carmena79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hawaiian Princess Hawaiian Sun Holidays Vacations Internationale
I always bring spices. Ziplocs and tide pods. Now I can eliminate the pods and bring a little bottle of olive oil. Thank you for the hint!

carmena79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I plan on bringing a smaller carry-on inside of a larger carry-on next time and checking one in.

carmena79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I meant checking one in on the way home

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I always bring spices. Ziplocs and tide pods. Now I can eliminate the pods and bring a little bottle of olive oil. Thank you for the hint!

I was thinking of bringing a bottle garlic olive oil from TJ's with me..Great idea, thanks

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If it's likely I'm going to bring more home than I took with me, I will pack a folding zip-up tote bag I got in a cruise ship store. It folds flat into a square about the size of a hard back book. Unzipped, it's a full-sized soft-sided suitcase. I haven't needed it much in the last few years, since I've been downsizing, and those souvenirs add up. But if I think I need it, I'll toss it into the checked suitcase.

I also have a folding cooler I got in an ABC Store years ago, that I'll take along if I think I'll want a day cooler, and there isn't one in the timeshare. It holds a 12-pack and some ice. Not fancy, but highly functional. ;)

Dave

Last edited:

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband is an AA Platinum member and we can each check 2 bags for free… So, we pack heavy for most trips. My husband is a kitesurfer and his gear takes up 3 checked bags. So we max out the 4th free checked bag (duffle bag) with the following food and stuff:

Small soft side cooler
Plastic Baggies
Oatmeal
Cold cereal
Honey
Pecans
Coffee
Coffee Filters
Tea
Splenda and Sugar
Salt and Pepper
Bread
Popcorn
Peanut Butter
Jam
Chips
Bars
Other Snacks
Cool cups
Laundry soap
Sponge
Antibacterial wipes
2 beach towels
Sunscreen

When we get to Hawaii or where ever we are going we get the following:

Milk
Beer and Wine
Water
Fruits and vegetables for breakfast and snacks
Beach chair
Some other items

We typically eat a healthy breakfast in and have snacks available in the room. We usually pickup Subway sandwiches for the cooler for day trips and eat dinner out. We have found that sometimes the oatmeal and cold cereal in the stores are stale – so we take our own. And, when the checked food is gone – there is room in the duffle bag to bring the beach chair home.

Have fun! :)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I like the packing tape idea, as I know we will want to bring home souvenirs.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Hawaii is not a 3rd World Country. Hawaii has a surprising number of well stocked grocery stores - to include Costco. They also have health food stores, bakeries, etc. They may cost a bit more but why haul a pantry in your suitcase. Patti and I recently finished a 30 trip to to New Zealand and Australia. We each used 1 medium suitcase.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hawaii is not a 3rd World Country. Hawaii has a surprising number of well stocked grocery stores - to include Costco. They also have health food stores, bakeries, etc. They may cost a bit more but why haul a pantry in your suitcase. Patti and I recently finished a 30 trip to to New Zealand and Australia. We each used 1 medium suitcase.

For Kauai, this less obvious, but still very true. Costco is a life-saver for some items, but we find the smaller groceries to have an excellent selection of very unexpected (but much loved) items. The store may look quaint (to be polite) but the wine selection is often excellent. Ditto for the local Safeway; it's better than Costco in many ways. (don't' throw stones at me!). That's what I meant in my post above. Hawaii is easy to pack for.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unless you have a large party, and are going to do a lot of cooking, I'm not sure it pays to go to Costco. Costco in Hawaii is not cheap.

For smaller quantities, you can do better with a discount card at Safeway.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Does WKORVN take the standard coffee filters (the basket kind) or do they require a more specialized version... I love my coffee in the morning.

Mr. Coffee type filters.

But we carry both those and cone filters in our timeshare kit. They weigh nothing, and one of these years, one of our resorts will surprise us and switch.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Unless you have a large party, and are going to do a lot of cooking, I'm not sure it pays to go to Costco. Costco in Hawaii is not cheap.

For smaller quantities, you can do better with a discount card at Safeway.

I agree. We found that even with 4 people the quantities at Costco were just too much. On Maui we generally shop at Safeway and we already have a discount card there. If you don't have one it's very easy to set up. For produce however we prefer to get that from small, local stands. There is one at the north end of Kihei that we love. Since our timeshare is in Kihei that one is convenient for us.