• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exceptions to minimum stay

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a question to stump the experts.

In the SRP booking window (10 months to 91 days), there are generally 3, 4, or 7 night requirements for Prime Season, and a 2-night minimum for other seasons. In ERP (90 days or less), all seasons have a 2-night minimum.

That said, I have recently booked a 1-night stay on 3 different occasions. The first two times, I was well within the ERP window (<25 days for both) and I was getting one of the last rooms. The 3rd time, I booked over 6 months in advance while there was plenty of availability (I was trying it out on a whim).

So if the advertised absolute minimum is a 2-night stay, how am I able to get these 1 night bookings? Does VIP have anything to do with it (I'm not expecting that it does)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
About two months ago I booked one night for September and I'm not vip.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what you see are the orphans

for example

If the minimum stay is 3 days its possible that fri sat and sun is taken by one owner, and tues wed and thurs by another.... that leaves an orphaned monday

NHTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

for example

If the minimum stay is 3 days its possible that fri sat and sun is taken by one owner, and tues wed and thurs by another.... that leaves an orphaned monday

Poor Monday. :(

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

for example

All of these were weekend nights: 1x FRI and 2x SAT. I understand the short term bookings for FRI/SAT were likely orphans, but that does not well explain the Saturday I found for October 2016 on a wide-open month (not just the weekend) in High Season. It might still be an orphan (and I got lucky), but it would seem that the chances are slim in this particular case.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
All of these were weekend nights: 1x FRI and 2x SAT. I understand the short term bookings for FRI/SAT were likely orphans, but that does not well explain the Saturday I found for October 2016 on a wide-open month (not just the weekend) in High Season. It might still be an orphan (and I got lucky), but it would seem that the chances are slim in this particular case.

People looking for cheap airfares or stays around cruises, might have booked 2 back to back 3 night stays as they could NOT book their 6 night stay. So that Sunday to Sunday week became a Sunday to Saturday stay ... leaving Saturday night available to book.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
We've noticed that single nights are sometimes available at highly sought-after resorts in prime or high season as "orphans" when most of the resort is booked solid. Can't count on it but they sometimes do show as available. I suspect the "orphaned" nights are more likely to appear at resorts where VIP members request specific rooms or views, or much of the inventory is actually still used as fixed weeks, meaning there's less points inventory than one would think based on the resort size.

Also, at a few of the large UDI points resorts which were never sold as fixed weeks, single nights seem to be broadly available, especially if not in prime season or during holiday weeks. It may make it easier to assign rooms in high occupancy resorts if some guests are only staying for single nights. Just speculating. At times, the reservation system seems to require the minimum stays and at other times, it seems more open. We expect the policy to be followed but have enjoyed the easier access when we can get it.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I routinely book single nights at an eastern Tennessee resort to use to break up the trip to New Orleans or Florida panhandle. Most often, the single night is a Thursday or Friday and the reservation is made around 8-10 months before check-in.

What I find is that for months thereafter, no single night reservations are allowed because of the time remaining before check-in. When time comes to re-book the one night, I am able to do so with no problem.

I guess this supports the orphaned single night theory. It's not really an exception or departure from the "3, 4, or 7 night" limitation. There just happens to be a single night when I want it. (However, it's curious that I have been able to do this so frequently.)

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
I've noticed that when making a reservation at a specific resort and I come up empty on my requested nights, you can see what nights are available for that month and the next.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have posted, these are orphaned nights.

Sometimes to get what you want you can create the orphan yourself. For example; you want to stay Thursday night only as you are traveling through to a final destination... There are no single night stays available on Thursday, but there are 3 night stays.

Book a 2-night stay starting on Friday (assuming you're inside the 90-day window) and you may then be able to grab the orphan.

FYI, unlike the "locking" trick, the reservation actually has to be booked for the system to register the orphan. You can then go back and cancel the weekend you don't need after you pick up the orphan.

Also, there are a couple of resorts where the reservations rules seem to be relaxed, perhaps because of the number of units... for example Bonnet Creek.