• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 ] How do you get out of DRI pts forever?

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
:confused: Newbie here and a few yrs into DRI points, 2 Trusts. Anyone know how I can actually (& easily) get out of these systems permanently/forever? LOL

I just want to not have the yearly maintenance fees anymore. Bought retail both times, system seemed great idea, but can't figure this out and only used points for MF's and airline miles. (Rolled some over).

I'm holding off till the last minute to pay my 2014 MF's.

The MF's are too high, and I'm confused w/system!

I need help on what to do with points, is there a way to "rent" them or any suggestion. I know I can list for sale, but I don't even know what to do if anyone actually wanted my points! :wall:

Thank You in advance!!! :)

Last edited:

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Come to the DRI Facebook site

:confused: Newbie here and a few yrs into DRI points, 2 Trusts. Anyone know how I can actually (& easily) get out of these systems permanently/forever? LOL

I just want to not have the yearly maintenance fees anymore. Bought retail both times, system seemed great idea, but can't figure this out and only used points for MF's and airline miles. (Rolled some over).

I'm holding off till the last minute to pay my 2014 MF's.

The MF's are too high, and I'm confused w/system!

I need help on what to do with points, is there a way to "rent" them or any suggestion. I know I can list for sale, but I don't even know what to do if anyone actually wanted my points! :wall:

Thank You in advance!!! :)

You will get some assistance here and you can also go to our DRI Members site on Facebook. There are all DRI members from all over the world in the DRI system that can give you ideas and tips to get the maximum from your membership while you have it.

RuralEngineer

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI Value

Read some of the FAQ's. As a silver level you can enjoy some nice vacations. Using points for airline miles is not the best use of your investment. Your points have no resale value. If you live close enough to a DRI resort think about using it as a 2nd home. Frequent weekends at a resort are great!

Stephen

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You! My first choice is to figure out how to get out of the high fees! Everything is paid up through 2013 and is free and clear of any mortgage or assessments.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
At least I managed to use some of the points the last two years to help relieve some costs in other things. I have zero 2013 points, and 21000 2014 points, too late to use for 2014 maintenance fees!

I just got back from 2 weeks on Kauai using my "PF Weeks", so anything is out until at least late April-May. I also have enough spacebanked weeks for about 3-4 nice vacations in the next year and a half, not counting my Kauai time! (The only place I would like to be 24/7!). Financially not feasible at this time!

Thank You!:shrug:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You! My first choice is to figure out how to get out of the high fees! Everything is paid up through 2013 and is free and clear of any mortgage or assessments.

Probably not what you want to hear, but the only way to permanently end fees is to sell (give away) your timeshare. Look at the stickies at the top of the Buying, Selling, Renting forum for a guide on how to do it if you are unsure. Most likely you will have to pay the 2014 MF to make it attractive enough to a potential buyer. Nobody is going to relieve you of something that will cost them the MF in a month. It wouldn't even transfer before then IF you has a ready buyer.

Alternately, hang around TUG and learn how to maximize your use of it. Many, if not most, TUGgers started out just like you. Bought timeshare at retail, not sure how to use it. Found TUG. Banded together with others and are happy timesharers.

Best wishes.

Jim

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You Jim!
I've been looking at all the resales here and across the internet and realize I'm going to have to give it away, but this not one of the point systems that seem to have any buyers! I'm sure I'm going to have to talk to DRI and somehow work it out that it can sell with all the extras (Club, II, Silver Level, both trusts together, etc..). I fought a few years ago to get one member #, so I received the Silver Level, but assessments/MF's, yearly point allotment are still billed seperately in each trust.
I appreciate all the help, and looking forward to more!
Thank You!

blakebr

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not fast or easy but I sold our 16,000 points for $1 on TUG. It took three months but there was a buyer. Good luck.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You!

I will have to sort through my papers and make some phone calls to find out exactly what I have a "right" to sell.

I will just have to be patient, in the long run I think it is the best thing to do. My "home" resorts are beautiful and in great locations, but for what I pay each year in MF's, I could be putting that money into other things!:doh:

Thank you Again....I'll have to in the meantime research how to use my points better! (Actually learn how to read the point calendars at resorts I may be interested in.):ponder:

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You!

I will have to sort through my papers and make some phone calls to find out exactly what I have a "right" to sell.

I will just have to be patient, in the long run I think it is the best thing to do. My "home" resorts are beautiful and in great locations, but for what I pay each year in MF's, I could be putting that money into other things!:doh:

Thank you Again....I'll have to in the meantime research how to use my points better! (Actually learn how to read the point calendars at resorts I may be interested in.):ponder:

If you own in Hawaii, could you book high demand weeks and then rent them out. It should more than cover your MFs

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You!
I will check this out!

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Different County so Different Rules

Diamond Resorts European Collection seems to have provisions spelled out for getting out of an ownership. See, for example, their response to Question 4 in...

https://cmsprod.diamondresorts.com/...GM_2013_Submitted_members_questions_final.pdf

I am not aware of anything like this for the US or Hawaii collections. Perhaps someone else can help here.

The European members can get out due to bankruptcy, being 75 years old and medical problems. However, except for maybe bankruptcy there is not a way to rid someone of their timeshare other than selling them. Timeshares are like homes in the US. They are yours if you pay for them.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did read all the questions and answers for the European Trust, almost sounds like death is not an excuse to get out of your points and membership!

I found the part about turning your points into weeks before selling with a resale company interesting! I thought they wanted all weeks to covert to points and purchase more points!

Looks like I will have to find another DRI member that wants more points, or be my "immediate family member"!

I need to comb through my documents to see what hidden clauses I have!

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you get out of DRI pts forever?

If you own in Hawaii, could you book high demand weeks and then rent them out. It should more than cover your MFs

OP (Xan), I have to second this advice. At least that way you can use it once every few years and have it cover the mf when you don't. It takes a little work, but it is feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

Looks like I will have to find another DRI member that wants more points, or be my "immediate family member"!

Exercise extreme caution here. TS companies have gotten smart to the family member/will-transfer/add-a-name-and-later-quit-claim ruse. Both you and the other member may be in for a nasty surprise when you finally bail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you get out of DRI points forever?

I'm in the process of giving my points back to DRI.

Just waiting for them to get to my paperwork in the pile!
Loss mitigation dept is overwhelmed w/more of the same.

I did this all legally through DRI.

Sure I would of loved to make any of my initial purchase price back, but this was the best and easiest solution. Our reason to get out met all of the criteria and we have proof to back up with!

I wish it could of worked out, but the long term financial obligation is not feasible for us, due to a financial hardship our family experienced.

DRI new CEO as of Jan 1,2014 is now David Palmer, SJC is in a different position.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of giving my points back to DRI.

Just waiting for them to get to my paperwork in the pile!
Loss mitigation dept is overwhelmed w/more of the same.

I did this all legally through DRI.

Sure I would of loved to make any of my initial purchase price back, but this was the best and easiest solution. Our reason to get out met all of the criteria and we have proof to back up with!

I wish it could of worked out, but the long term financial obligation is not feasible for us, due to a financial hardship our family experienced.

DRI new CEO as of Jan 1,2014 is now David Palmer, SJC is in a different position.

What were the criterias required and which DRI resort did you owned ?
SJC Is the CEO of Diamond Holding.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Xan, please tell everyone your secret?.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our family had a legitimate "financial hardship", and I met all the qualifications of being totally up to date with all fees and no 2014 year usage.
Actually we have never used our points for a resort stay!

Really can't say much more. (Clause)

I am seeing people actually buying resale points now for a $1 and are willing to pay the transfer costs! So, there are people that are able to learn to use their points to maximize their ownership!

Good Luck to any other owners!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very happy for you and your family. Good luck.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once it's out of your name can you disclose their criteria for taking it ?

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, everything is confidential. Contact their Loss Mitigation Department for more info. (Sorry, I don't have the phone or contact info.)