• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flu/Pneumonia Shots Question

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
DH ended up in the hospital for 3 days last November with pneumonia. While in the hospital he contracted a Mersa infection in his lungs. Neither of us have ever had a Flu Shot or Pneumonia Shot. We don't want to risk him getting sick again with his immune system. So we want to have both shots. Can both shots be given at the same time or do we have to have one wait awhile and then get the other one?

TIA,

Suzanne

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
They can be given at the same time. Some people prefer to take the a few weeks apart rather than get a shot in both arms in one sitting.

sun&fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had both at the same time and no significant reaction to either.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had both in one arm on Wednesday and my arm has been in significant pain (think 800 mg ibuprofen and heating pad) since then. Can't cross or raise the arm. Fortunately I did not get it on the side I sleep.

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest getting the two shots several weeks apart. I have not had a bad reaction to the flu shot, but the pneumonia shot left my arm sore for 3 days.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice thing is that the pneumonia vaccine is literally a one shot deal. Once you get it, you're set for life. A little tenderness for a couple of days is a reasonable price to pay.

Jim

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. We are set to get the shots this afternoon. DH said he wants to get both at same time. This way if there is any side effects or soreness we have time to heal before we go to Jackson Hole, WY in December for our winter vacation.

Suzanne

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You can get them at the same time. However, I have had a couple of friends have bad reactions to the pneumonia shot. With one friend it kind of took her out for a few days.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pneumonia Shot: my doctor said the new thinking on the pneumonia shot is that you should have another one 5 years after the first and that should take care of you for "the duration."

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
So maybe it's the pneumonia shot that made my arm so sore? They did tell DH to get another next year. I sure won't do both together again.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's probably the pneumonia shot that's making your arm so sore. When I had one not too long ago, my arm was also sore (as mentioned above) for 3 days or so. My doc said they recommend getting them every 10 years, so it sounds like we're getting conflicting info. from the medical community.

sstug

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I got my pneumonia shot I was told it's good for 7 to 10 years.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer to have one shot at a time thereby allowing time for my immune system to develop antibodies to this immunization. I don't like to stress my immune system, so I space them out a bit, but that's how I determine things for my own health maintenance.

Also, if I have a reaction, I'll know which one it was.

Again, this is my preference and not medical advice. Speak to your PCP about your best options.

-

Last edited:

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice thing is that the pneumonia vaccine is literally a one shot deal. Once you get it, you're set for life. A little tenderness for a couple of days is a reasonable price to pay.

Jim

Jim I didn't know it was for life. I never heard of this shot until three years ago when my Heart doctor wanted to give me one. They give me a flu shot every year and I thought this shot was every five years.:ponder:

PHIL

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, MY doc said that I'd be set for life when I got mine as part of my 'Welcome to Medicare' visit at 65. Apparently not all people are protected equally.

This, from the CDC:

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the vaccine for several different groups of people, including all patients age 65 years or older. A single dose of the pneumococcal vaccine is, typically, sufficient for most individuals. However, for individuals over age 65, who received their first dose before age 65 and greater than 5 years ago, a second dose is recommended. You may want to consult with your health care provider regarding vaccination."

So bottom line, after 5 years have passed from the time you get it, ask your doc if you should get another dose.

Jim

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got both the shots yesterday. Arm is a little bit sore to touch but nothing bad. The information we were given along with the shot, states the pneumonia shot for people with compromised immune systems or other serious conditions and people over 65 should have the shot twice. The second shot should be given 5 years after the first one. It further stated that it takes approximately 3 weeks to be fully effective. The flu shot is every year and takes about 2 weeks to be fully effective.

We were given the heavier dose flu shot as we are both over 65 and DH has Non Hodgkins Lymphoma Cancer.

Suzanne