• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
That's what I thought. Where do we get the official status?

To my understanding - Sales is incorrect. It was 100% for individual villa, but not all votes were cast.

I think I saw somewhere that our villa (4215) was one that had received a 100% approval vote. And there were others.

Hello Virgin Grand HOA reps...are you out there somewhere?

--bp

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Phil will likely not respond even if he still reads TUG.

This was in the a letter to the Owners that you should be able to find in the original WSJ thread. iirc, not all votes were received and they needed 100% of votes as well as 100% approval. They were going to try and contact the Owners that didn't vote - but WSJ has a serious database issues (incomplete or unverified).

applekor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VG (3 bd pool phase 1 and phase 3),WSJ-BV (3bd, 2bd loft),WKV,VBC

I think I saw somewhere that our villa (4215) was one that had received a 100% approval vote. And there were others.

Hello Virgin Grand HOA reps...are you out there somewhere?

--bp
Hi BobPark56, I just sent you a PM

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Info on Walls Found

Phil will likely not respond even if he still reads TUG.

This was in the a letter to the Owners that you should be able to find in the original WSJ thread. iirc, not all votes were received and they needed 100% of votes as well as 100% approval. They were going to try and contact the Owners that didn't vote - but WSJ has a serious database issues (incomplete or unverified).

The latest info, dated June 2014, can be found on MyStarCentral...accessed from your ownership info via "Reports from Owner Representative Directors."

It seems my understanding was partially correct, partially incorrect:
a. The decision to put in walls is to be on a unit by unit basis;
b. 100% approval is required for that unit;
c. Five of the six units in building 42 have received no negative votes (it's one of 6 for bldg 41);
d. BUT the number of owners not responding ranges from 6 to 10 for each unit...hence no approved action planned as of June 2014.

Subsequent to that report, I noticed that our vote for the wall had not been recorded for unit 4215 (not sure now where I learned this). I replied, asking them to add our name to the approval list and was told that it would be done. So apparently votes are still being accepted...or at least they were back in June.

Hope this info helps, -- Bob Park

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I replied, asking them to add our name to the approval list and was told that it would be done.

They accepted a vote by e-mail? Sounds like we could just trawl through the property records and submit affirmative e-mail "votes" for the wall in the remainder of the units ;)

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui and Kauai ranked 2 and 3. At least Starwood has some good coverage of top islands.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
SJU to/from STT

Anyone have any experience on the flights between San Juan Puerto Rico and St Thomas?

Starting to narrow down available points flights for next summer's combo USVI/Puerto Rico trip, and right now (not having any luck right in to STT), looks like we can get in/out of Puerto Rico, and would have to make our own way on the last bit -- JetBlue flies real planes twice a day, and codeshares with Cape Air on Cessna's the rest of the day...

Never dealt with either of those airlines.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anyone have any experience on the flights between San Juan Puerto Rico and St Thomas?

Starting to narrow down available points flights for next summer's combo USVI/Puerto Rico trip, and right now (not having any luck right in to STT), looks like we can get in/out of Puerto Rico, and would have to make our own way on the last bit -- JetBlue flies real planes twice a day, and codeshares with Cape Air on Cessna's the rest of the day...

Never dealt with either of those airlines.

We just flew Cape Air from STT to SJU. No problems...and actually one benefit: We arrived early at STT and they were able to fit us on a flight that got us to SJU 2 hours ahead of schedule.

One point: This is not a flight to take if you have lots of luggage. It's a small plane (not a jet) for about 10-12 passengers. But it does stay below the clouds...we flew at 1500 feet (I could read the instruments), which gave us a nice view of Culebra on the way. We had one full size suitcase, 2 carry-ons, one CPAP case, and one large purse that had to be stowed...and they did that with no problems.

The air conditioning is not great, but the flight is not long...about 45 minutes, as I recall. And do not expect to sit next to your traveling companion(s). They load passengers by weight so as to get a good load balance.

Oh, and if you have any time in Old San Juan, I suggest you give La Fonda del Jibarito a try for dining (see my recent review on TripAdvisor).

--bp

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just flew Cape Air from STT to SJU. No problems...and actually one benefit: We arrived early at STT and they were able to fit us on a flight that got us to SJU 2 hours ahead of schedule.

One point: This is not a flight to take if you have lots of luggage. It's a small plane (not a jet) for about 10-12 passengers. But it does stay below the clouds...we flew at 1500 feet (I could read the instruments), which gave us a nice view of Culebra on the way. We had one full size suitcase, 2 carry-ons, one CPAP case, and one large purse that had to be stowed...and they did that with no problems.

The air conditioning is not great, but the flight is not long...about 45 minutes, as I recall. And do not expect to sit next to your traveling companion(s). They load passengers by weight so as to get a good load balance.

We've done Cessnas before, it's always fun to get up on the luggage scale holding your carry-on. Good thing they don't read the number out loud :D

45mins is pretty long though. I think the last one we did was about 30mins, and definitely a nail-biter if you're not ready for the ups/downs with the wind currents :eek:

Oh, and if you have any time in Old San Juan, I suggest you give La Fonda del Jibarito a try for dining (see my recent review on TripAdvisor).

Thanks -- we'll have five days in San Juan...

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cape Air, as one might imagine from its name, flies extensively around Cape Cod, the Islands (ACK and MVY, as opposed to the Carribean ones) and Boston. Has a very good reputation. Planes are quite small. Passenger usually gets the seat next to the pilot and no luggage in the cabin bigger than a small briefcase or purse.

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really looking forward to our first trip back in two years -- we gave our unit to family last xmas and took a family trip to S. America instead.

Got an email from SVO today that mentioned ferry dock renovations in late 2014 or early 2015 that will force people to dock at Cruz Bay. Anyone know the timing of this?

Also, not sure the timing of our flight arrival is going to make the Westin ferry attractive since we'd have to wait around a couple of hours. Anyone know the names of the private companies that will do the same thing? I once had the name of one that was actually charging around the same price as Westin for a family of 4 and you wouldn't be hostage to the Westin schedule.

Thanks.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Why not just rent on StT and take car barge over?

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why not just rent on StT and take car barge over?

One reason is if you do not want a car for the whole week. (This assumes the outfit you rent from will deliver your vehicle to you at your unit and transport you back to your unit or to the ferry when you depart. Ours does.)

Another is if you want to have a guaranteed parking place in town. We used this option 3 times this year...and we needed it.

Another is if you want to take advantage of a 10% discount offered for off-season rentals.

Another is if you rent from a outfit that gives you a 6% additional discount for paying in cash.

Another is if you rent from an outfit that gives you an upgraded vehicle without extra charges (this has happened to us twice now...I'm going to give it a try again in 2016).

Another is if renting a basic vehicle (one that would suit you on St J) is not large enough to carry all passengers plus their baggage...meaning that you will need a larger vehicle if renting on St T.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
And there is lots of counter points - often discussed and debated, but letsgomets was asking about logistics using ferries - thus my remark. Sure, go ahead and rent on StJ as well (And pay $400+ for WSJ ferries, or deal with public ferries). We have done the trip many ways - we now rent on StT from Amelia.

Sure that comes at a premium - but after spending $2500/week (in MF and taxes) and $1000pp in transportation costs - not too mention the money dropped on food/Bev and charters while there - spending a few more $ is a choice for those of similar thought. Once we looked at that versus ferry cost, and other alternatives (many), is what we find to work for us.
YMMV

Last edited:

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but we don't rent a car. We've found it more economical to take a taxi to go to the north shore beaches or Cruz Bay when we want rather than drive. So we're just trying to figure out the best way to get to/from the airport, thus our question about private boat and the status of the ferry dock in case anyone knows.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
The WSJ website states that timing depends on permits. You can't predict when a government official will get around to issuing permits on the islands. If you want, you can send an email to WestinStJohnRenovation@Westin.com and see if any more information is forthcoming.

As far as private companies go, many people recommend Dohms. Warning that there are a ton of surcharges, and none of the quoted prices include gratuities. (Although the website doesn't mention a fuel surcharge from Crown Bay, that's a much longer trip, so I'd be surprised if they didn't hit you with it, even though the pp rate is much higher.)

Water Taxi Rates
All Fares are Based on One-Way Transfer
*Phone (340) 775-6501 * Fax (340) 715-1398*
CURRENT RATES for 2014/2015
***There is currently of Fuel Surcharge of $15, $25 or $50 per trip between Red Hook and St. John

6:15am - 6 pm $30/person 5 person minimum $150 minimum
6pm - 12am Private Trips $35/person 5 person minimum $175 minimum
12 am - 1:30 am $60/person 5 person minimum $300 minimum
5:30 am - 6:15 am $45/person 5 person minimum $250 minimum

Between Crown Bay and St. John (Additional $20 Dock Fee)
6:15am - 6 pm $60/person 5 person minimum $300 minimum

http://reservationsbvi.com/Ferries/dohm.html

Note that this doesn't include transportation from the airport to the dock or the dock to the resort (vice versa on the way back). People who use Dohms, usually use their recommended taxi, which is Christopher's. It is a reasonable rate, but I'd be really intimidated by the Standby/Waiting surcharge. Honestly, I'd just hail a taxi from the airport rather than risk a $150/hr standby surcharge.

Here is the quoted rate for Christopher's:

Between Airport and Redhook $75.00- 4 Person Min. & $15pp over 4 pax, No fees for Luggage

-Standby/Waiting: $150.00 per hour
-Tours/Sightseeing: $150-$300 per hour

Details Gratuities are not included and will be automatically added in for group trips
******** There is a ONE (1) WEEK Cancellation Policy ********
Please note: Trips scheduled prior to 8 AM must be reserved by 5 PM the day before.

http://virginislandswatertaxi.com/landtaxi.html

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So....assuming you're a family of 4 traveling with 2 suitcases each, and your flight arrives between 6:15am and 6pm (cheapest rate), unless you're really adverse to waiting for the Westin ferry, it's going to cost you a pretty penny to arrange private transportation.

Taxi rate to/from Red Hook, using public transportation
$40 ($10pp x 4) + $16* luggage fee=$56 + $10 gratuity = $66

Dohms Water Taxi (assuming you're the only travelers)
$150 (minimum) + $15 fuel surcharge = $165 + $30 gratuity = $195

Taxi rate from Cruz Bay to Westin:
$5pp x 4 = $20 + $16 luggage fee = $36 + $8 gratuity = $44

Cheapest private transportation cost one-way $305 x 2 = $610 total
Flat-rate Westin ferry cost (assuming kids are over 17; kids 4-17 are $90pp) = $120pp x 4 = $480 total + $40 gratuity = $520 (maximum)

*For public transportation, there is a fee for luggage, on both St. Thomas and St. John: A flat rate of $2 per bag shall be added to the fare for each passenger. The rate for items greater than 30"x20" shall not exceed $4 per item.

http://www.vinow.com/stthomas/getting_around_stt/taxi_stt/
http://www.vinow.com/stjohn/getting_around_stj/taxi.php

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cheapest private transportation cost one-way $305 x 2 = $610 total
Flat-rate Westin ferry cost (assuming kids are over 17; kids 4-17 are $90pp) = $120pp x 4 = $480 total + $40 gratuity = $520 (maximum)

So for 2 adults + 1 kid would be $120x2 + $90 = $330 for the Westin ferry?

Are there any other charges (airport to ferry terminal?), or do they include everything from the airport to the villas?

The Westin ferry includes "unlimited shopping trips" back to St Thomas, correct? I assume that they include the return ferry ride, but you're on your own for any costs to/from the ferry terminal in St Thomas?

We bit the bullet and booked our points flights (as far as southern Florida), and now have to wait 3 more days before we can book our preferred arrival date at WSJ... :whoopie: Then we hold out for a price drop hopefully on flights between southern Florida and USVI and Puerto Rico (looks like around $400 per person)

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So for 2 adults + 1 kid would be $120x2 + $90 = $330 for the Westin ferry?

Yes, that's correct.

YYJMSP said:
Are there any other charges (airport to ferry terminal?), or do they include everything from the airport to the villas?

Everything is included, except for the gratuities. (For the taxi driver who takes you and your luggage to the dock, and the porter who delivers your luggage to your room.)

YYJMSP said:
The Westin ferry includes "unlimited shopping trips" back to St Thomas, correct? I assume that they include the return ferry ride, but you're on your own for any costs to/from the ferry terminal in St Thomas?

Yes, they provide the ferry and you provide the rest. We've taken advantage of this once to get back to St. Thomas for a fishing excursion. We notified the concierge ahead of time that we were going to take the first ferry back to St. Thomas, but no one at the dock seemed to have any notification that we'd be there. I told the concierge why we were headed to St. Thomas, but she kind of insisted that we were going over to shop, right? and we quickly learned to say this whenever anyone asked.

We shared the ferry with a lot of workers who I assume had worked all night. They were all tired but very friendly.

On the way back, we took the public ferry back to Cruz Bay since it was well after the last Westin ferry departed.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is expensive, but when you start breaking it down it isn't too bad. We travel with family and small kids and there is nothing better than getting to our home airport, checking bags and hardly touching another bag until we leave and arrive at home. The door to door service is awesome when you have your hands full with kids. Even if you don't, by the time you taxi, public ferry, taxi again you are often ahead.

One note, I keep seeing statements about tipping. My understanding, and it states so on the website and ferry fact sheet is it INCLUDES all BAGGAGE HANDLING - which is tips. That is what I was told. You can certainly tip on top of that, but the handlers are getting tipped out of the charge. That makes it pretty slick. In fact often you never see your baggage handlers as they deliver bags and pick them up when you aren't around.

Again - it can get spendy if you have a large family - but we don't need a car for the entire week, the rental cars often lack space to put luggage and thus defeat the purpose of renting in STT.

Don't always take everything as 100% fact and final judgement...often it is a couple talking about why it makes sense for them.

You don't need a car everyday, so save the $100/day and you quickly pay for your 1st Class transportation...kick up your feet, visit the bar before you board and enjoy the ride!

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
One note, I keep seeing statements about tipping. My understanding, and it states so on the website and ferry fact sheet is it INCLUDES all BAGGAGE HANDLING - which is tips. That is what I was told. You can certainly tip on top of that, but the handlers are getting tipped out of the charge. That makes it pretty slick. In fact often you never see your baggage handlers as they deliver bags and pick them up when you aren't around.

We've always taken the Westin ferry -- was just considering other options this year in light of our arrival time and possible ferry dock construction. But otherwise, I agree that the convenience can't be beaten and is worth the extra money that we spend relative to taxi to Red Hook, ferry, then taxi from Cruz Bay. Two years ago, however, we had a very frustrating experience - waited for a while in the airport, then when we got to Crown Bay in the 2nd taxi, the ferry was pulling out because it was full. They made us wait two hours for the next one so it ended up being more than 4 hours from landing to Westin. That's certainly enough to make me think about private water taxi options.

I also saw the notice about tips being included, but I never trust that the guys who you would tip (taxi drivers, porters) actually see the money.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I, too, usually tip on top of "gratuity added" meals, etc. Heck, I even tip the iguana driver! But then again, I'm usually in such a good mood on vacation, I'm like Tinkerbell spreading pixie dust around, except I use singles and fives.

That being said, I always say "+ gratuity" because I want people to consider their tipping habits so that they can make a fair comparison of Option A v Option B. I'm not really advocating it one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.