• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"new" annual points only program?

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at WKORV now and sat through a presentation. After we told the "closer" we were not interested in paying $37,000 for every other year there, he offered a "new" method of buying in. This is a purely points program. We would spend about $27,000 and receive 81,000 Star Option points every year. And these could convert to Star Points if we desire, with 6 years of shelf life. Is this a good deal?
Is a program like this available on resale yet?

Also, interestingly, the salesperson, before the closer, spent most of her time letting us know how our Star Options could be converted to Star Points for use at hotels all over the world. She showed us pictures of the hotels, showed us how much the top hotels would cost but how we could use the Star Points to get in...the points we would get from converting our every other year Star Options. Makes me wonder about the value of the Villas vs the Hotels.
Jeff

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Points only?

Need more info! As a staroption owner but not a property owner you probably could reserve only 8 mos out. As stated elsewhere you will not be able to book at peak times and will have no "owner" preference. Even when we book at 8 mos at our home resort we receive a preference on "views" Also at what conversion rate will your SO's convert? Staroptions convert at different rates depending on location and season.
As stated before purchasing SP's is usually not a good idea.
When an individual purchase a new property they are usually given the "right" to purchase 80,000/100,000 starpoints for 1,550/1,900. So 27,000/1,550 means you are pre-paying for 17.5 years worth of SP's with todays dollars. As mentioned before SP's lose their value over time since Starwood often raises the SP's for hotel use.
Also if you use SP's to reserve "Villas" vs hotel rooms you pay a very high SP's vs what the villa options would exchange for.
I would invest my money and earn interest and spend the dollars where and when I wanted.
Okay enough already:ignore:
However; if you are in love with a location a resale week purchase is best as stated elsewhere

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points-only ownership

Isn't that how the new Coral Vista phase at WSJ is currently being sold?

You buy some kind of points (HomeOptions?) that get you access to a CV unit during the Home Resort period (12mos - 8mos), or you could exchange them for the same number of StarOptions to make bookings anywhere (8mos or less), or you could exchange them for some set amount of StarPoints to make hotel bookings.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yep - sounds like they are promoting the WSJ points program.

Converting to hotel points is almost always a poor value, because you get so few Starpoints, and the underlying maintenance fees are so high.

Also, be aware that Starwood has NEVER increased the Starpoint conversion rate, even though the maintenance fees have double at some resorts.

If you primarily want to visit the Maui resorts, be aware that with a Staroption reservation, you get a floating view, assigned at check-in.

You only get a guaranteed view, if you actually own at one of the Maui resorts, and make a home resort reservation, 8-12 mos. before check-in.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I'm going to pile on and say that if the salesperson said anything along the lines of "This is a purely points program" (from the OP), it's not true. SVO doesn't currently sell any pure points programs. The WSJ Coral Vista points are similar, but technically you own shares in a trust, and that trust only owns Coral Vista. So your "home resort use rights" are still with Coral Vista. Talking about a "pure points program" makes it sound like you would have equal priority/access at all the resorts, and that's certainly not true.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep - sounds like they are promoting the WSJ points program.

Converting to hotel points is almost always a poor value, because you get so few Starpoints, and the underlying maintenance fees are so high.

Also, be aware that Starwood has NEVER increased the Starpoint conversion rate, even though the maintenance fees have double at some resorts.

I would quit saying NEVER - they just dramatically increased the value of the St John trades in terms of options and points. I realize perhaps the ONLY time it has happened, but be clear and fair. I agree rarely happens, but good information is important.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would quit saying NEVER - they just dramatically increased the value of the St John trades in terms of options and points. I realize perhaps the ONLY time it has happened, but be clear and fair. I agree rarely happens, but good information is important.

I will give you that one - but the only reason they did it was to make their new points program at the resort more attractive.

I would not expect them to increase the Starpoints at any other resort, unless it was under similar circumstances that benefit Starwood. They did not do this to help owners, or to make it more equitable for owners.

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Didn't sound great to us, either. But even if we did I would never buy anything before discussing on TUG

New question. After we refused the option offered by the closer, a 3rd person came in, offering us the following for $2700:
7 nights, 8 days in a studio at the WKORV villas. We have 2 years to use. We will need to sit for another presentation. After sitting for the presentation they add 50,000 Starwood points to our account. That sounds like 5 days at a 12,000 point hotel. These points last 6 years
This deal sounds good to me. She allowed us to leave and think about this. We can get back to her before we leave. What do you think?

Thanks,
Jeff

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can rent a studio from an owner for less than $1,500.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
New question. After we refused the option offered by the closer, a 3rd person came in, offering us the following for $2700:
7 nights, 8 days in a studio at the WKORV villas. We have 2 years to use. We will need to sit for another presentation. After sitting for the presentation they add 50,000 Starwood points to our account. That sounds like 5 days at a 12,000 point hotel. These points last 6 years
This deal sounds good to me. She allowed us to leave and think about this. We can get back to her before we leave. What do you think?

Thanks,
Jeff
This is called the "Explorer package".

It can be a great deal if you are planning to purchase a timeshare from Starwood anyway. The reason is, they will allow you to apply the $2,700 to the purchase price of the timeshare, but they also let you keep the package trip. Alternatively, they will "buy" back the trip for ~100,000 Starpoints if you haven't used it yet. This is a good way to extract a little extra value from a developer purchase you were going to make anyway (100,000 SPs @ $0.02 = $2,000).

If you don't want to make a developer purchase, it's not that great a deal. The 50,000 SPs are worth about $1,000, so you're paying $1,700 for one week in a studio (probably island view, unless you're traveling during a low demand week), but with the additional restrictions that you must travel within 2 years and you must attend another sales presentation. I would think you can rent a studio with less hassle.

That said, it's not a horrible deal as long as you can use the package in some way. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep if I purchased the package and knew I could travel within the 2 years.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Isn't that how the new Coral Vista phase at WSJ is currently being sold?

You buy some kind of points (HomeOptions?) that get you access to a CV unit during the Home Resort period (12mos - 8mos), or you could exchange them for the same number of StarOptions to make bookings anywhere (8mos or less), or you could exchange them for some set amount of StarPoints to make hotel bookings.

I believe WLR also works the same as WSJ-CV - buying into trust vs specific deeded VOI.

As mentioned - WSJ did increase SO-SP conversion amount - but still far from adequate and still not aligned based on the high MFs at WSJ.
They also increased SOs at WSJ (twice for VGV) to better aligned them.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
The WSJ Coral Vista points are similar, but technically you own shares in a trust, and that trust only owns Coral Vista. So your "home resort use rights" are still with Coral Vista. Talking about a "pure points program" makes it sound like you would have equal priority/access at all the resorts, and that's certainly not true.

WLR is the same way -- you own a "certificate" in the company that owns the deeds. Your certificate gets a priority booking at your home resort at 12-8mos out and then you can use it for StarOptions from 8mos. You can also convert it to StarPoints.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take the $2700 and put it toward a resale unit...

Thanks. Didn't sound great to us, either. But even if we did I would never buy anything before discussing on TUG

Thanks,
Jeff

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
We are planning to return to Hawaii in the next year or 2. We are already on the hook to sit for a Hilton Presentation on the Big Island in the next 1.5 years. We signed on for 7 nights, 8 days for $750 in a hotel room there, so figured we would complete a 2 week vacation here in Maui, at the Westin.

David - looked for your umbrella with the double lounges in front of the South section. Ready for Ana?
Jeff