• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

buying Bluegreen Points

Arb

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anything unique to the Bluegreen system I should know before starting to shop for resale points?

Bill4728

Reaction score
You need to know that if you buy resale points from an authorized dealer you can do a lot more with them than if you buy them off the street.

Contact a TUGGER named BocaBum99 or go to a website http://www.timesharekahuna.com/bluegreen/ with info on buying bluegreen

beeper man

Reaction score
buying bluegreen

Please be aware that benifits of Authorized vs unauthorized are a personal opinion and many would argue the benifits of both. I am not an owner of Bluegreen, I have toured them multiple times, I have rented, so I can't speak as owner, but this is my opinion. Boca has more knowledge of the system than 98% of the Bluegreen staff ( maybe more ). Join the Yahoo Bluegreen group, there is a ton of information there. Bluegreen also appears to be stable in these tough financial times. Now the cons. Short of maybe Marriott, I don't know of another Timeshare company that has put more restrictions on the resale market than Bluegreen. They have restricted what you can do with resale points (converting to authorized). They restrict what the "Authorized resaler" can charge ( $1.25 per point minimum). So be aware they know about the 300lb gorilla in the room and they deal with it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
No wonder Bluegreen is selling so cheaply on ebay. Anytime a company chooses to deny all resale buyers the benefits of developer, they are choosing to devalue their own product. It's such mistake, and only benefits the developer.

akp

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents

1) MFs are relatively reasonable for what you get.

2) Partial weeks or full weeks can be booked at 11 months by any owner; Premier owners can get on the wait list prior to 11 months (how far before 11 months depends on premier status) and those requests will get filled before open booking at 11 months.

3) You can book the specific week / unit you own between 12 months and 11 months (ie, before the wait list is filled) so you get priority for your specific ownership; beyond that, points are points.

4) Be very aware of what trust fund you buy into so that your MFs are optimized. If you buy a small package in Trust Fund E, you'll overpay. If you're buying lots of points, you definitely want to be in Trust Fund E.

5) Resort quality is uneven. BG has some top of the line resorts and lots of mid-range resorts. Know that if you visited Wilderness Club at Big Cedar or the Fountains, you cannot expect that kind of quality across the whole club.

6) If you care about the benefits from having authorized points, purchase through Boca. If you don't care about the benefits from having authorized points, still buy through Boca.

7) Study the list of benefits of buying authorized points and see if you think any of them are important to you. Personally I highly value the free cancellations I get as a Platinum member, but I could pay a lot of $35 cancellation fees for the price premium required to buy authorized points. Same with the wait list; I love it, but I personally wouldn't pay the price difference required to achieve wait list.

If I were buying for the first time today, I'd study the points charts and get a feel for how many points I'd need to do the travel I want. Find a package about that size and buy it resale, non-authorized. Ideally buy it at the resort you're most likely to visit on bonus time. If you can find a week / unit that you'd personally use full weeks at, great, but don't sweat it as the majority don't use that benefit.

Arb

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info

You guys are SO helpful. Thank you so much.
I appreciate every shred of info I can get from you! Nothing like the voice of experience!:clap:

akp

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can still get developer benefits buying resale

Bluegreen did not cause the price to suddenly plummet with this rule change. Bluegreen was selling cheaply on ebay long before they changed their policy on developer benefits.

And note that you can still purchase qualified points (for which all developer benefits transfer) on the resale market. They set a price floor - if you buy below that floor, benefits don't transfer. If you buy above that floor from an authorized reseller (ie, Pinnacle, or via Boca), they do.

I don't know enough about other timeshare systems to compare and know who does or does not restrict transfer of developer benefits, but I think the old way was unsustainable. It was possible for a time to buy super cheap resale points (5 cents a point) and get developer benefits. So a savvy buyer who had really good timing could have purchased a way into Platinum level for well under $5000.