• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TimesharesforAuction! Opinions?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's best to be very skeptical

Same old same old. Let me guess. They called you. They have a buyer. You need only pay a - search fee - closing fee - finders fee - some type of fee which, of course, will be refunded as soon as the already in place buyer closes.

Am I close?

It's the latest scam to get a good chunk of upfront money from you and then, surprise, the "buyer" will decide to back out and low and behold you'll be left with the agreement that they will "market" your timeshare for that big upfront fee.

Don't deal with them. If you can't find them by a search how would that mythical "buyer" have found them & how/why your week?

The whole thing is a set up. Ignore them.

foreverloves

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't that called ebay?

Isn't that called ebay? :D

Seriously, I just looked at the site, and it's convoluted to me. It looks like an arm of GMAC - Timeshare Resales USA. The T&Cs state something about placing bids and that the bids are then presented to the seller, but there are the usual and customary (read: HIGH) fees associated with using a real estate agent.

It must be a ploy to try and list properties internally rather than on ebay. Ebay has probably a bazillon times more traffic, so I don't see an advantage.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Me Neither.

I don't see an advantage.
Hard to see any possible advantage in those various timeshare hornswoggles & bamboozles that are out there waiting to snare the unwary.

Just saying.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is just another spin off from GMAC Timeshare Division (which has nothing to do with General Motors.) MORE INFO.

What terms did they offer you?

There is a very simple rule of thumb here:

Any company that charges a large upfront fee is a scammer.

Last edited:

foreverloves

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is just another spin off from GMAC Timeshare Division (which has nothing to do with General Motors.) MORE INFO.

What terms did they offer you?

There is a very simple rule of thumb here:

Any company that charges a large upfront fee is a scammer.

I had thought that GMAC was a real estate firm with franchises all over the place. I think they are independently owned. Nothing to do with GM, but I guess I'm surprised to see a "name brand" franchise doing this. Kind of like seeing Century 21 charging an upfront fee or coming off as "scammish" (is that a word??). Ugh.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
See the link I posted above for info. about their practices in the timeshare industry - I think that the fact that they are a franchise, gives them a lot of leeway.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Century 21 Timeshare Resales.

I guess I'm surprised to see a "name brand" franchise doing this. Kind of like seeing Century 21 charging an upfront fee or coming off as "scammish" (is that a word??).
Maybe it's not the same Century 21, I don't know, but for sure I've seen Century 21 timeshare resale ads, certainly in the Orlando-Kissimmee area (a timeshare hotbed if there ever was 1), virtually every time we've been there starting in 2002.

In fact, the famous highway billboard that opened our eyes to 2 essential Timeshare Truths -- i.e., (1) there is no such thing as a new timeshare, & (2) buy timeshares resale & save thousands -- was from Century 21, in the official brown & gold colors & everything. I still remember the toll-free phone number that was on the sign -- 1-800-BUY-OR-SELL.

I suspect now that they were more interested in collecting Up Front Fees than actually selling pre-owned timeshares. That's because when we called saying we wanted to buy a timeshare resale, they hemmed & hawed before getting round to offering us a fixed-week 2BR unit way out on Rt. 192 for $6,500. In retrospect, I think it's extremely odd that they came up with just 1 offering, in view of the big supply of Orlando resale timeshares available then (2002) & now.

We didn't put all our resale timeshare eggs in the Century 21 basket. While waiting for Century 21 follow-up, we discovered TUG & made contact with a resort HOA official who put us in touch with a distressed foreign owner of a timeshare the owner was willing to sell us for $3,500 which was lots better than the 1 we were prepared to buy for $6,500.

Today, of course those are super-high prices for resale timeshares. At the time, though, they seemed plenty reasonable -- many thousands less than full-freight.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that agencies affiliated with Century 21 & ReMax & GMAC, etc., are all involved in various aspects of timeshare resale ventures, including (some of'm) Up Front Fee schemes.

Shux upon'm -- the Up Front Fee people, I mean.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

AlbertaTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same old same old. Let me guess. They called you. They have a buyer. You need only pay a - search fee - closing fee - finders fee - some type of fee which, of course, will be refunded as soon as the already in place buyer closes.

Am I close?

It's the latest scam to get a good chunk of upfront money from you and then, surprise, the "buyer" will decide to back out and low and behold you'll be left with the agreement that they will "market" your timeshare for that big upfront fee.

Don't deal with them. If you can't find them by a search how would that mythical "buyer" have found them & how/why your week?

The whole thing is a set up. Ignore them.

Actually I'm a buyer

foreverloves

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm a buyer

It makes sense - read the rest of this thread. I'm not sure I see an advantage here to something like ebay. I suppose as a buyer, you could try to make an offer on something, but I haven't found timeshares listed with any broker that sell as competitively as ebay. If you want an auction experience, I'd do that. But it is up to you.