• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Advice Want to Offer Discounted Vacations at Our Resort

Robov

Reaction score
Hi I'm a newbie and have been looking around for awhile now on how to sell some of our weeks to earn some extra cash and offer people the opportunity to have a great Mexican vacation at some beautiful resorts. I am so happy to have found this site as these types of forums are a wealth of information.
Anyway we have a membership with Real Resorts in Cancun & Playa del Carmen. It is not like a typical timeshare where we have specific weeks each year and maintenance fees. This is a vacation discount club offering the purchaser reduced All-Inclusive rates of at least 30% below rack rates (as low as $50 per night/per adult) then depending on the resort and room configuration you choose it costs us between one and three of our weeks for a one week stay. I'm just not sure how to go about advertising it to others. We would just like to make a little bit of money on extra weeks that we have and as stated give someone the chance to get a better deal at some beautiful resorts for much less than they could otherwise get by booking directly with the resort or on sites like Expedia. We paid or should I say wasted $300US with a company called My Vacation Brokers and to date, almost one year, have received zero return, and don't expect to ever see a return. So I am just looking for those of you out there that have had success.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG!

In a nutshell, there is no market for what you are offering. I know that your timeshare salesperson probably told you that you could rent for a profit and pay your maintenance fees - just not true. We have Ads on TUG right now where people are offering the same deal for $1.

The reason these weeks don't rent:

1) Many people avoid all inclusive resorts, because you can eat/drink on your own for a lot less.
2) Travel to Mexico is depressed.
3) People have lingering fears about h1n1.
4) People worry about violence in Mexico.
5) The market is flooded with cheap Mexico timeshare rentals.
6) The US Govt. is discouraging people from traveling to Mexico.
7) Mexicana Air just went belly up

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, Denise. I was wondering if AI resorts were "worth it". I had a hunch the answer was "No" but you kind of confirmed it for me. However, if they're so overvalued, why are they abundant?

Also, why is the US government advising against travel to Mex.?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks for that info, Denise. I was wondering if AI resorts were "worth it". I had a hunch the answer was "No" but you kind of confirmed it for me. However, if they're so overvalued, why are they abundant?

Just my opinion, but TS sales in Mexico tops the list for corruption and high pressure. Mexican sale people convince buyers that they can rent their TS's for a profit, so people who really can't afford to buy, do so anyway, thinking their rentals will cover all costs, and the pressure to buy is tremendous and unethical.

Also, why is the US government advising against travel to Mex.?

Here is the website with that info.

Last edited: