• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

paying maintenance fees with points?

sgosline

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are on our way shortly to a Wyndham presentation which normally I would never do but at check in the "salesman" said something about using points to pay for maintenance fees with Wyndham. We have RCIpoints- Banyan Harbor, HI plus 2 weeks at Iron Blosam that we can convert to points. I had to sell some points recently that were going to expire. We don't ski anymore and own a second home in Las Vegas so we just are not able to use all our points anymore but using them to pay maintenance fees sounds wery appealing. We could still use points for non Las Vegas vacations. I have tried to sell the 2 Iron Blosam weeks without success. Does anyone have more info about points for MF's?

Reaction score
Yes and no. You can apply Wyndham points to your MFs, but there is no way to pay ALL of them. Their other option is a Wyndham credit card, but you would need to charge $15k or more to pay off your MFs.

TS

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a hard sales promo which is taking the idea of using YOUR WYNDHAM points to pay Wyndham MFs at a VERY BAD conversion factor to you.

Has NOTHING to do with RCI points or RCI MFs.

If you don't own Wyndham points, their developer sales rep will give you the fast talk about buying some points with NO DOWN PAYMENT (by openiing up a new credit card and charging that Wyndham points big dollor purchase on that) while taking your deeds as a PIC conversion into Wyndham Points and then will give you some BONUS POINTS free.

You will still own YOUR other Timeshares with those resort billing you for the MFs. You will own MORE timeshare points with Wyndham along with a loan and a credit card balance.

And you will NOT be the first person who got doubled talked and think that you got rid of your the older timeshares. And somewheres, they always will manage to MAKE you a VIP for 18-24 months (their most successful sales hook).

Stay home and watch a movie in the condo. It will save you thousands of dollars.

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
We are on our way shortly to a Wyndham presentation which normally I would never do but at check in the "salesman" said something about using points to pay for maintenance fees with Wyndham. We have RCIpoints- Banyan Harbor, HI plus 2 weeks at Iron Blosam that we can convert to points. I had to sell some points recently that were going to expire. We don't ski anymore and own a second home in Las Vegas so we just are not able to use all our points anymore but using them to pay maintenance fees sounds wery appealing. We could still use points for non Las Vegas vacations. I have tried to sell the 2 Iron Blosam weeks without success. Does anyone have more info about points for MF's?

Not a very good deal. The conversion rate is $.0021 per point. For example:
I have 182000 points of club Wyndham access which cost about 5.40 per 1000 points or $982.80 per year in maintainence fees. If I converted all the points to maintence fees, I would get $382.20. So I would still owe 600.60, and not get any use of my points for that year.

sgosline

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back. Did not buy. It was a bunch of double talk and they wanted us to buy for $18000 to get us to VIP level, blah blah blah. Did get us a Makana card which has already saved us $160 on food and activities. The exchange rate to use points for MF's was atrocious.

lcml11

Reaction score
Just got back. Did not buy. It was a bunch of double talk and they wanted us to buy for $18000 to get us to VIP level, blah blah blah. Did get us a Makana card which has already saved us $160 on food and activities. The exchange rate to use points for MF's was atrocious.

Thanks for the update. Did they offer to take your other timeshares and replace them with Wyndham points? In other words, how many points would you have gotten.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Did they offer to take your other timeshares and replace them with Wyndham points? In other words, how many points would you have gotten.

Wyndham is NOT in the USED T/S business --- if the resort is a Wyndham-managed property, they will convert a FIXED or FLOAT week; if not and the resort is a RCI property, the will do a PIC contract. Either way, your old T/S is still deeded in your name. It was the Mexican timeshares that took in trades and the one set of resorts seem to supply them to Holiday resales group.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Although many points based programs seem to offer the ability to convert points to fee payments I've never seen any case where it made financial sense to do so. In fact, if carried to extreme, you could pay massive amounts of upfront money to buy your timeshare then use the annual points (plus some cash likely needed) to pay the annual fees but therefore have no points left & thus no use. You'd be wasting your money in an endless circle of no value to you!

Except in a case where you had a few left over points you can't easily use & could waste there are seldom any good reasons to use any points toward any annual fees due.

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dont confuse Wyndham rewards points with Club Wyndham timeshare points

$60 / 10,000 rewards points is correct

but also consider it takes 1000 timeshare points to get 400 rewards points

True but it does give a slightly better return (I used 500,000 pts as a reference, std pts for maintenance came to roughly $1050 whereas the rewards was $1200). Neither is a good return when you would have paid $3000 to get $1000 to $1200 back. But it points out the need to look at all options

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
maint. dollars

personally i would let my points expire or make a reservation for someone for free before i would give them my points for maint. dollars that just me.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I first bought from Developer some 12 years ago thought I was getting the cat's meow with all the money saving perks.

Being a retired accountant I had both time and expertise to analyze.

Personally I have never found one that saved me anything meaningful. The $210 credit on MF you get for 100K points is a no brainier.

Others require a pencil, paper and a little figuring and deciphering.

Given that plane fares, cruises, promotions, etc. change constantly it is possible one can luck out for a great deal with Wyndham Program, but IMHO time would be better spend looking at many discount web sites. Wyndham is in business of selling and managing TSs, not providing vacation packages.

Likewise, if very busy but travel a lot look at Travel Agent who generally gets commissions from suppliers and if a good customer gets lots of perks and cannot use all and pass on to good customers.

Think about these Vacation Clubs with couple hundred thousand members. How can they have better buying power than Wyndham World Wide with 800K+ member, II with around 2 million and RCI around 4 million.

Using smell, reasonable and common sense tests with TSs will save big bucks.

sgosline

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 2 weeks in the RCI points system- Banyan Harbor, Kauai. Not Gold Crown but anything in Hawaii is considered premium. They were going to convert those points to Wyndham points, make us purchase $18000 timeshare at Wyndham Kona resort and that would give us enough points to be VIP which gives you some discounts and other perks. They were not interested in our Iron Blosam units because they are just studios even though they are Silver Crown. They were offering something called PCI (personal conversion intervals?) which I did not really get but they made it sound like a big deal and said it was off the table permanently as soon as we said not interested.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Rewards to pay maintenance fees

They say I can not use the rewards package toward paying the maintenance without their "flipping the switch". I can get the Wyndham Rewards VISA card, but to have the "offsetting maint. fees" capability, I have to buy 84k UDI for $15000. The $15000 loan can be paid via that VISA account but there is still interest to be paid.

By offsetting fees using our REWARDS points, it supposedly would pay for itself in ten years. They excuse interest on the $15000 purchase for 6 months. The VISA card in our case would be charged $150 per month which we would pay in full each month. We would also charge lots of other stuff and pay it off each month. The more we charge up, the more we have accumulated to offset the cost of the new purchase and fees.

It would take a diligent accountant to make sure we didn't make a late payment, costing at least 19% interest.

It appears the program could work, but all in all it sounds like a scam to sell 84k points for $15000 under the asssumption "you can get something for nothing".

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Extra Wyndham points excluded

Although I already have 244k points going to waste in this year, they were intent on pushing another 84k down my throat for $15000. In the last 2 years we have rolled excess points into RCI and still have 6 deposit weeks we aren't able to use. I try to get others to use them, but seems all have enough of their own.

We aren't well enough to use what we have now and the reps were not interested in finding a way to include these in the bargain.

Last edited:

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
They say I can not use the rewards package toward paying the maintenance without their "flipping the switch". I can get the Wyndham Rewards VISA card, but to have the "offsetting maint. fees" capability, I have to buy 84k UDI for $15000. The $15000 loan can be paid via that VISA account but there is still interest to be paid.

By offsetting fees using our REWARDS points, it supposedly would pay for itself in ten years. They excuse interest on the $15000 purchase for 6 months. The VISA card in our case would be charged $150 per month which we would pay in full each month. We would also charge lots of other stuff and pay it off each month. The more we charge up, the more we have accumulated to offset the cost of the new purchase and fees.

It would take a diligent accountant to make sure we didn't make a late payment, costing at least 19% interest.

It appears the program could work, but all in all it sounds like a scam to sell 84k points for $15000 under the asssumption "you can get something for nothing".

Seems to me you would have to spend about $3000.00 per month on the Visa card to generate enough Wyndham Reward points to pay the maintenance fees on the 84k contract. You are still going to have to pay off the $15,000. The reward points aren't going to pay for that. Maybe I am not understanding something.

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
Although I already have 244k points going to waste in this year, they were intent on pushing another 84k down my throat for $15000. In the last 2 years we have rolled excess points into RCI and still have 6 deposit weeks we aren't able to use. I try to get others to use them, but seems all have enough of their own.

We aren't well enough to use what we have now and the reps were not interested in finding a way to include these in the bargain.

I don't understand why you are buying more points, when you can't use the points you have!!!

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
rewards for maimt fee's

RDB : if you are talking about wyngham reward points to pay maint's fee's i have posted on this several times in the last couple years so has others, you can get a card if you have a wyndham acct. retail or resale,it doesn't matter if you have 25,000 points or 25,000,000 points you don't have to buy more points to use them,they just want people to put money in their pocket,it's their job,i pay $600-$1000 a year of my maint fee's with reward points,you only get $60 per 10,000 points not good I now use another card and get $100 for 10,000 not a wyndham card. and to redeem them you just go to wyndham rewards .com

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
:doh:

Convoluted deals like this are a trademark of Wyndham sales weasels.

They have been ripped to shreds if you want to do some searches.

Red flags: You have to give them $15K and none of this is in your contract.

Stay away from sales, it is hazardous to your financial health!:(

Broubal

Reaction score
Wyndham rewards credit card question

I have been to numerous presentations where I was told to apply and use this credit card to gain the points earned for my payments to Wyndham for the property and for my maintenance fees. I applied a few times and was turned down to poor debt to earnings ratio.

Today at another presentation...:ponder: I was told that I cannot use any points earned on the card (that I now qualify for) to pay off my maintenance fees. I was told that the only way to pay off the maint fees using this credit card was to purchase more points and then I would be able to use the card with points earned to pay off maint fees at $60 per 10,000 points.

Was I told the truth? Or are they just selling more property?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why do you believe anything those snake oil sales persons say?

Do you REALLY believe the BS of "owners' update" is going to happen after all these years?

YES! The Wyndham Sales Staff is trying to sell you POINTS, weeks, vacations packages ===> because that is how they earn a commission as they are LICENSE REAL ESTATE people.

There is no free lunch with the Wyndham Hangtag desk --- they get paid by how many people they send up to meet with the commissioned sales staff. They are NOT YOUR FRIENDS.

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
wyndham reward points to pay maint. fee's

if your yearly maints. fee's were $700. you would have to charge about $100,000 a year or about , $8300. a month to pay for those $700. worth it ???

cassvilleokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Hawaii fixed weeks and Points, Wyndham Points, Marriott, Mass, Holiday Inn (previous Silverleaf) Worldmark, Vista Mirage, Shell Hawaii collection, Star Island, Orange Lake, KBC, Fractional and Full.
Actually using the Wyndham Rewards card as Ron put it $5,000 in charges would pay a minimum of $720.00 a year with the points to M.F. offset on the rewards website.

A lot better exchange for things like airline tickets, in the last online posting I saw 30,000 rewards points was good for a 12,000 mile ticket on major airlines. that is a a whole lot more than $180.